The Apology

Old October 20th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default The Apology

What these people don't seem to understand is that that was the common
behavior, belief, and attitude of the era.* I'm not saying it's either
good or bad, just that it was.* Getting upset today over something that
happened decades ago, and was mainstream at the time, is simply someone
wanting to stir up bad feelings.* These are the same people who claim
that Thomas Jefferson was a bad person.

On 10/20/2020 3:05 PM, wrote:
Here are the feedback letters concening this.

The 3rd and 4th had the patience to clearly explain the issue.

https://mydigitalpublication.com/pub...er&v er=html5

Basically instead of welcoming women, the ad brought back memories of days when women were supposed to be worshipping pilots instead of being pilots.

With hindsight, perhaps SSF could have run same picture with the lady having just piloted a glider 1000k, the guy astonished with the no engine thing, and the tag line talking about the love of flying?

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 21st 20, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Whoa - I think some people need to take a deep breath and do some research.

Some of the women who wrote in have been contributing to SSA in a big way for years.

Not to mention that the current Chair of the SSA is a woman.

I believe the proper response is to understand why someone was offended and determine how to prevent it in the future.

We don't get to determine is someone should be offended. Our job is to respect their feelings.

And, if the Editor and the Chair of the SSF think they needed to apologize, I'll take their lead.

Lou

PS - I think Thomas Jefferson was a great founder. Flawed but great.
Old October 21st 20, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've met both complainant and the SSA President, both at the WSPA
seminar at Black Forest in the early 90s and got along just fine with both.

As to respect, what about those of us who are offended by their
complaints?* So feel free to apologize for yourself, but not for me.

Old October 21st 20, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

* Getting upset today over something that
happened decades ago, and was mainstream at the time, is simply someone
wanting to stir up bad feelings.*

Agreed that this old stuff happened in the mainstream in the 40's and best water under the bridge today, even if bad by today's standards. Wanting to stir up bad feelings because of it not productive.

The complaint seems about the same stuff unfortunately happening today.
Old October 21st 20, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

I'm offended by the people that are offended by by the people that are offended by the SSF ad. Now you can be offended by my offence.
Old October 21st 20, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bella Smolder

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 9:09:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm offended by the people that are offended by by the people that are offended by the SSF ad. Now you can be offended by my offence.

So is that the triple dog dare?
Old October 21st 20, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 7:09:17 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've met both complainant and the SSA President, both at the WSPA
seminar at Black Forest in the early 90s and got along just fine with both.

As to respect, what about those of us who are offended by their
complaints? So feel free to apologize for yourself, but not for me.
On 10/20/2020 5:49 PM, MNLou wrote:
Whoa - I think some people need to take a deep breath and do some research.

Some of the women who wrote in have been contributing to SSA in a big way for years.

Not to mention that the current Chair of the SSA is a woman.

I believe the proper response is to understand why someone was offended and determine how to prevent it in the future.

We don't get to determine if someone should be offended. Our job is to respect their feelings.

And, if the Editor and the Chair of the SSF think they needed to apologize, I'll take their lead.

Lou

PS - I think Thomas Jefferson was a great founder. Flawed but great.

--
Dan, 5J

The most telling aspect of this thread is that almost all the respondents are men, and almost all the men seem completely blank ("without empathy") regarding how this ad could feel demeaning to a woman. This cluelessness is, I think, the main point for many women. Dan Marotta gets it. Congratulations, Dan!
Old October 21st 20, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul B[_2_]

The most telling aspect of this thread is that almost all the respondents are men,
Well most readers and posters on this list are men, so no surprise there

and almost all the men seem completely blank ("without empathy")

Or they are just utterly sick of the virtue signalling that they are exposed to

This cluelessness is, I think, the main point for many women.

Well, unless the women are in a position of a Tardis, they can not be easily offended by something that has yet to be written.

Like Dan, I believe that you cannot, or rather should not, redo history.

Paul
Old October 21st 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
xcnick

History is women pilots have lowered themselves to product promotions, but not like the artist rendering. Here is a real advertisement.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bce6wB4zJMAozWF96

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZrXsXRiHEfK7QjYv7

Old October 21st 20, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 6:16:38 PM UTC-4, xcnick wrote:
Whatever the problem is I'm listening.

Back to reality of era, here is she is third from the left with Eleanor Roosevelt. Closest to the camera with USA on her sleeve is Ann Woods who just told Mrs. President: “In England, the ladies get equal pay as the men.” Look at Eleanor's smile. This first was two lifetimes ago, but it is still an issue in the USA.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oFCcTozLaaAZURdVA

You could stop digging (before you get to China).

Apology Bob Gardner Piloting 2 January 4th 05 06:51 PM
Apology Curtis Soaring 0 October 20th 04 03:44 PM
Apology Curtis Rotorcraft 0 October 20th 04 03:43 PM
Apology Curtis Restoration 0 October 20th 04 03:42 PM
Apology Curtis Products 0 October 20th 04 03:30 PM