Blanik L-23

Old June 26th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BDS[_2_]

Default Blanik L-23

Our club just acquired an L-23 and we are going to be tying it down outside.
For those of you out there with L-23s, we are wondering how you go about
securing the tail, considering that the tailwheel mounting area seems
somewhat sensitive to damage.

We were considering going so far as to make a saddle for the aft fuselage to
sit in to keep the tailwheel off of the ground.

Also, how are you securing the rudder?

Our landing gear strut is collapsed and in need or air or nitrogen. I know
that some of these types of strut systems can be inflated with the strut
extended (weight off of the wheel) to something like 30 PSI in order to get
to the correct pressure when weight is applied. Anyone with experience in
this area?

Thanks.

BDS

Old June 26th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nate_fl

On Jun 26, 9:58 am, "BDS" wrote:
Our club just acquired an L-23 and we are going to be tying it down outside.
For those of you out there with L-23s, we are wondering how you go about
securing the tail, considering that the tailwheel mounting area seems
somewhat sensitive to damage.

We were considering going so far as to make a saddle for the aft fuselage to
sit in to keep the tailwheel off of the ground.

Also, how are you securing the rudder?

Our landing gear strut is collapsed and in need or air or nitrogen. I know
that some of these types of strut systems can be inflated with the strut
extended (weight off of the wheel) to something like 30 PSI in order to get
to the correct pressure when weight is applied. Anyone with experience in
this area?

Thanks.

BDS

Sir,

I am a student doing primary training in an L-23. The operation I use
ties the Blanik down outside. The tail is rested on a stand just
forward of the tailwheel, that area seems to be reinforced well. The
stand is welded steel with a foam pad. A simple rope tiedown secures
it.

Rudder movement is handled by a control lock which attaches to the
back seat pedals and stick. We lock the dive brakes open with the
shoulder harness.

Central Florida gets gusty wind conditions during thunderstorm
activity...in the 8 months I have been training there I've never seen
any problems with this setup. There is one ding on the a/c where
someone put the stand too far forward on the empennage.

Hope this helps.

Old June 26th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jun 26, 9:37 am, nate_fl wrote:
Rudder movement is handled by a control lock which attaches to the
back seat pedals and stick.

I have found the simplest way to prevent controls from flopping
around, but not quite locked is to use a stiff bungee cord. Put hooks
around REAR rudder pedals, pulling forward, and cord over FRONT
control stick, pulling aft. This is compact and 99% effective for
most ground handling and gust conditions. A more solid arrangement is
needed for overnight protection, so a cuff placed over the vertical
fin and standard external aileron locks are best as they prevent any
loads being placed on the pushrods and cables during long term outdoor
storage.

-Tom

Old June 26th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeffrey Banks

BDS,

CAP has a fleet of L-23's
Take a look at the following link. The bottom has
some PDF files for tie
downs and control locks.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/DOT/Glider/tiedown/index.cfm

Be careful about where a tail support goes. Some L-23's
have a placard
that can mislead where to set a support. If the tailboom
is dented have it
repaired as the shape of the tailboom is structual.

Becareful about tieing the controls as a control lock.
Some Blaniks have
some bent pushpull tubes as the wind works the outside
surfaces.
If the controls are tied...probably best to tie the
front seat controls instead
of the aft controls. (Another layer of safety toward
inadvertant take off)

Old June 26th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_3_]

BDS wrote:

snip

Also, how are you securing the rudder?

We use these on our fleet.

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/DOT/schoo...rudderlock.htm

This is an interesting page too, BTW:
https://ntc.cap.af.mil/ops/dot/Glider/course.cfm

Shawn

Old June 27th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 26, 6:58 am, "BDS" wrote:
Our club just acquired an L-23 and we are going to be tying it down outside.
For those of you out there with L-23s, we are wondering how you go about
securing the tail, considering that the tailwheel mounting area seems
somewhat sensitive to damage.

We were considering going so far as to make a saddle for the aft fuselage to
sit in to keep the tailwheel off of the ground.

Also, how are you securing the rudder?

Our landing gear strut is collapsed and in need or air or nitrogen. I know
that some of these types of strut systems can be inflated with the strut
extended (weight off of the wheel) to something like 30 PSI in order to get
to the correct pressure when weight is applied. Anyone with experience in
this area?

Thanks.

BDS

No one addressed the strut issue. Our CAP unit has been flying an
L-23 for nearly five years and have had the strut serviced about that
many times. I don't remember the exact pressure, but it is excess of
400 psi. You will need a high pressure hose and regulator and a
special fitting to service the strut. You can get this from Blanik
America, but it isn't cheap. They put out a news bulletin a while
back that covered it. You may still be able to get one from Vitek.
One thing not directly addressed in the bulletin is that you need the
gear off the ground and retracted when you service the strut. I would
not fly the ship with a flat strut.

Good luck
Jim

Old June 27th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 26, 6:58 am, "BDS" wrote:

No one addressed the strut issue. Our CAP unit has been flying an
L-23 for nearly five years and have had the strut serviced about that
many times. I don't remember the exact pressure, but it is excess of
400 psi. You will need a high pressure hose and regulator and a
special fitting to service the strut. You can get this from Blanik
America, but it isn't cheap. They put out a news bulletin a while
back that covered it. You may still be able to get one from Vitek.
One thing not directly addressed in the bulletin is that you need the
gear off the ground and retracted when you service the strut. I would
not fly the ship with a flat strut.

Good luck
Jim

The blanik/Lark strut is the same. It uses a Schraeder valve for charging
the strut. Almost any aircraft service shop will have the fitting since
Pipers use the same system. I had a tool used for Piper main gear struts I
used to keep my Archer gear charged.

The trick I developed for my Lark was to charge the strut with N2 according
to the manual and then, after lowering the glider onto its wheel, bounce the
glider gently to settle the strut to its unloaded extension. I then marked
the trailing link at the fuselage belly. Then I could just look at the gear
during pre-flight to see that the strut was properly pressurized.

Before removing the strut filling tool, I noted the strut pressure with the
weight of the glider on the wheel. If the mark on the trailing link showed
the need for more N2, I could just add enough N2 to bring the pressure back
to the pressure measured with the wheel on the ground without jacking the
glider. IIRC that was about 950 PSI. (The Blanik is less since it is
lighter.)

The gas/oil strut on the Blanik/Lark is a wonderful thing if properly
maintained. I love the soft, bounce free landings. I just wish Blanik had
lavished as much engineering on their tailwheels.

Bill Daniels

Blanik L-13 brien Soaring 0 December 5th 04 02:00 PM
Blanik L-13 tailwheel? Bob Johnson Soaring 0 August 27th 04 05:19 AM
Need to LEASE a Blanik Robert de León Soaring 0 June 22nd 04 05:22 PM
Blanik L-23 Duane Eisenbeiss Soaring 8 April 27th 04 05:53 AM
WTB Blanik L13 mike fadden Soaring 2 August 8th 03 04:30 AM