Canoe pontoons?

Old August 10th 03, 03:59 AM
nooneimportant

I dunno.... p-factor, torque, and spiraling slipstream could all have an
effect to eliminate the need for the j-stroke if you stroke only from the
left side of the canoe, but ONLY if you use a propellor as a paddle......
If you use a paddle for a propellor make sure you feather it on the forward
part of the stroke.....

Thanks to all for responding to an idea that I agree borders on the
nonsensical. I'll skip asking wether using a prop as a canoe paddle would
eliminate the need to j-stroke. ;-)

- Scott

Old August 10th 03, 01:05 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Scott Marquardt wrote:
Dan Thomas wrote:

Aircraft floats are designed the way they are for a critical
purpose and it would be difficult indeed to come up with something
much different that might still work.

Looks like there's agreement on that.

Hokay, then, would any respectable homebuilt pontoon be capable of doubling
as some kind of canoe? Granted, we still have the problem that a canoe is
generally wide open, whereas a pontoon that's wide open is ill-advised.

Perhaps a kayak design, where a simple hole in the middle of the pontoon
could be easily covered, might work -- provided a pontoon would be
seaworthy (why do I have this nagging sense it would just tip over no
matter what you tried to do with it).

pontoons _are_ top-heavy, *by*design*.

However, I see no reason, why you couldn't carry a couple of small
'outriggers' to deal with _that_ problem.

Thanks to all for responding to an idea that I agree borders on the
nonsensical. I'll skip asking wether using a prop as a canoe paddle would
eliminate the need to j-stroke. ;-)

Depends, is it fixed or variable pitch ?? chortle

Old August 10th 03, 01:06 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
gpa wrote:

"nooneimportant" wrote in message
I dunno.... p-factor, torque, and spiraling slipstream could all have an
effect to eliminate the need for the j-stroke if you stroke only from the
left side of the canoe, but ONLY if you use a propellor as a paddle......
If you use a paddle for a propellor make sure you feather it on the

forward
part of the stroke.....

Indeed, however, if you intend to use a propellor from an eastern european
aircraft such as a Yakolev 52 please be advised that everything you
recommended is the same but in reverse..and of course the canoe would also
have to be upside down...

Nah, just in Australia.

Old August 10th 03, 10:01 PM
Scott Marquardt

Robert Bonomi wrote:

However, I see no reason, why you couldn't carry a couple of small
'outriggers' to deal with _that_ problem.

To heck with canoes -- how about using both pontoons as a catamaran? Add a
sail. Or heck, use the plane's seats too, and contrive a paddle-boat. Put
some hydroplanes under the pontoons. Solve world hunger. Get toast to land
butter side up. And so forth.

Is there any homebuilt in existence that could double as a bass boat? Or,
of course, is there any bass boat etc.

- Scott "but seriously, folks" Marquardt
Old August 12th 03, 07:27 PM
Corrie

"Bushy" wrote in message ...
How large of a sinker do you need to troll at 40 mph?

I'll let you know in a couple of years, but from what they reckon,
20mph +full flap + 30%power = fly at 20mph
- 20mph headwind = 0mph ground speed

Yeah, but do the big ones bite on a windy day?
Old August 12th 03, 07:31 PM
Corrie

Scott Marquardt wrote in message . ..
But hey, and here I'm almost serious again: could a pontoon be made that
would fly well, plane well -- and work *upside down* as a better hull for a
catamaran? As has been pointed out, an aviation pontoon hull would make a
lousy boat hull, and vice versa. But might the *top* of a good aviation
pontoon also be a good hull shape for a cat?

Maybe. But either you sit astride it (using the step as back
support?) or else you cut a hole in the surface that's in the water on
takeoff and landing.

Inflatable boat and a pump, anyone?
Old August 12th 03, 11:47 PM
The Nelsons

Full Lotus made inflatable floats. Use those, catamaran style, or just use
one float and an outrigger. Or just buy a Coot, Osprey, Kingfisher, etc.,
and stick a trolling motor over the side.

RN

Old August 13th 03, 03:29 PM
Corrie

Scott Marquardt wrote in message . ..

Maybe. But either you sit astride it (using the step as back
support?) or else you cut a hole in the surface that's in the water on
takeoff and landing.

No, for a cat you just use three frame pieces and stretch some fine mesh
nylon webbing across the open area for a deck.
See, it's more practical than you thought. ;-)

Ah - missed the cat part. So....how do you propose to attach the
frame to the upended pontoon?
Old August 15th 03, 06:29 AM
Scott Marquardt

Corrie wrote:

Ah - missed the cat part. So....how do you propose to attach the
frame to the upended pontoon?

I can think of a couple ways of doing it -- both of which would add a small
amount of weight. What I'd hope is that the frame pieces needed could
double as structural support for the pontoons when mounted on the plane,
modifying traditonal mounting of pontoons a bit.

Heck, take off a wing and use it as a sail {since I'm on a roll with this;
heck, when you get in deep there's no sense coming out the way you got in;
there's gotta be another exit somewhere ;-)

Just don't ask me how I'd mount *that*. And don't ask me how I'd license
the thing as both an airplane and a boat!

- Scott
Old August 16th 03, 04:11 PM
Bushy

Yeah, but do the big ones bite on a windy day?

Don't know yet, but you get a pretty good view from above the water so you
can go where you can see the fish......

Maybe I'll try spear fishing! Stuka style!

Peter