The flight bag and those 'odd' items ....

Old August 14th 03, 10:01 PM
Rob

Default The flight bag and those 'odd' items ....

I guess I've been reading this group for too
long. I actually understood that.

-R
Old August 14th 03, 11:02 PM
blanche cohen

3 D-cell metal case flashlight. Suitable for night flight pre-flights,
emergencies, and creating a pilot-side door on a cherokee.

(*sniggles*)

Old August 15th 03, 12:16 AM
gatt

"John Harper"

Lighter than a hammer and a lot more effective, for glass anyway (never
tried it with Plexiglas)... an automatic centre punch (one of those things
that you push until it goes "thunk" and makes a dimple in the metal).
Press it up against the corner of a window and bingo. (I have a good
reason for knowing, honest, I locked myself out of a rental car once
and this was how they got back in).

Somebody joked about putting a Ka-Bar combat knife behind seats in airplanes
here this week, but it's a good point. I always carry mine, even in my jeep
or van. The blade of a Ka-Bar is sharp enough to cut fabric and the back of
it is a metal pommel that is flat for pounding tent stakes, and it could
easily be used to break a window.

And unlike a hammer or a centerpunch, it's great for slicing summer sausage
and cheese. :

A Leatherman would probably do too. I carry a small flashlight, some
aspirin, a yak-sack that I liberated from a United Airlines seatback, a
knife and glasses.

Personally I'm pretyt impaired without glasses - I can fly just fine but
I can't read anything. I keep a spare pair of (cheap) glasses
in the plane and another in my flight bag.

I usually wear contacts. At my first BFR, the CFI told me he'd sign me off
if I promised to carry glasses with me "in case." (pun) Made sense, so now
I almost always do.

-c

Old August 15th 03, 12:50 AM
john smith

blanche cohen wrote:
3 D-cell metal case flashlight. Suitable for night flight pre-flights,
emergencies, and creating a pilot-side door on a cherokee.

No reason to not add a LED headlamp.
Low cost, non glare lighting, long battery life, small size, light
weight.
Old August 15th 03, 08:11 PM
Kathy

"John Harper" wrote in message

Personally I'm pretyt impaired without glasses - I can fly just fine but
I can't read anything. I keep a spare pair of (cheap) glasses
in the plane and another in my flight bag.

John

British pilots are required to have a second pair of glasses, IIRC. I can't
get a second pair (long explanation deleted) so tightening the frame screws
and putting on a sports strap are now on my preflight.

Kathy

Old August 16th 03, 06:07 AM
Tony Roberts

In article , "Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo"
wrote:

Perhaps some recall moons ago when the RAP newsgroup discussion was the
old flight bag and what 'extras' one would carry 'other' then the usual
and in fact almost expected items. Well, this came up again some weeks
ago among the brethren and again I mentioned what some considered an odd
item to have along but after some discussion it wasn't as odd as it
first seemed!

A HAMMER! Wait now! Don't be so quick to scoff! Two potentially deadly
scenarios just for starters: smoke in the cabin [still grinning?] and a
forced landing where mercifully you made it but even in cases of minor
crumpling of the aluminum, door jamming is 'not' uncommon when your
FIRST goal [and any folks with you] in such an event is to get out of
there....FAST! Unfortunately, the human hand or fist or ad hoc shoe for
that matter is not particularly effective against Plexiglas but a hammer
can at least help matters. Plexiglas can be replaced, you and yours can
not. Better you beat the thing with steel ... versus slippery flesh.

But then, I know long term GA folks who 'sans' their corrective lens
polarized specs would 'admittedly' be reduced to the German Shepherd and
the red/white cane thing yet they do not carry a second back-up pair of
eyeglasses. Recall that even if the corrective lens specs resemble the
ends of coke bottles or could fry those proverbial ants in literal
droves when tilted to the sun, the FAA concern is only that 'with' the
specs you can pass the old Snellen requirements and so the dioptic(s) of
the lens is not an issue...until you're suddenly found without them for
some unforeseen reason. Or, more on the probability side of things, they
simply break and you need a backup. Hey, get your friendly optician to
'also' give you a copy of the lens prescription and stick it in the
bag....along with a back-up pair of corrective lens specs.

As to others things in the flight bag, hey, as I recall there was quite
a lively discussion about it and those odd items that folks tend to
forget! Or reflect upon.

A small pair of vice-grips. I was flying once when the knob on the
throttle disintegrated. Quite by coincidence (from tightening a lock) I
had some vice-grips in my flight bag and I gripped the throttle and they
worked just fine. There are lots of items in an aircraft that can break or
come loose and just need holding, and several controls that could break
and then you need an instant handle.
Also a flashlight or l.e.d. headlamp, and - a luxury but one that I am
about to purchase - a handheld radio. If I ever did go down, I would
really like to have a radio with me for if/when search & rescue flew
overhead!

--
Tony Roberts )
PP-ASEL

Old August 16th 03, 07:28 AM
MC

An ex-food 500ml glass jar with a sealable lid for
those longish cross-country trips.
(in non-coastal areas of Australia runways can be
few and far between, for that *urgent* pit-stop)
Old August 16th 03, 09:35 PM
journeyman

On 14 Aug 2003 16:02:36 -0600, blanche cohen wrote:
3 D-cell metal case flashlight. Suitable for night flight pre-flights,
emergencies, and creating a pilot-side door on a cherokee.

I call it a PART: Passenger Attitude Readjustment Tool.

Morris
Old August 16th 03, 11:22 PM
rgb

I also carry folding plier, allways useful to unscrew the oil cap of
thoses ranted planes flew by students who screw that cap thight like
hell ...

:-)

Old August 17th 03, 01:27 AM
Al Gilson

in article ,
Tony Roberts at

wrote:

[...]

Tony, my carb heat knob came off the first time I flew our 172 E. Can I
borrow your vise grips?