Glider/Trailer - Container Shipping?

Old February 8th 18, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

Default Glider/Trailer - Container Shipping?

I know there are folks that have shipped a glider and trailer in a 40 foot container and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good company that ships containers from the West Coast (LA area) to Australia. Does anyone have any company recommendations?
Thanks, in advance - Renny
Old February 9th 18, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 12:32:04 PM UTC-8, Renny wrote:
I know there are folks that have shipped a glider and trailer in a 40 foot container and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good company that ships containers from the West Coast (LA area) to Australia. Does anyone have any company recommendations?
Thanks, in advance - Renny

Hank Marlowe (contest # 11W) has been out of the business for decades.
13 years ago I used Primary Freight in Rancho Domingues. They're now in Buena Park.
http://www.primaryfreight.com/
If you're flexible with the schedule it's possible to shop for price on shipping. Some ships/routes are booked more heavily than others.
I'd heard that if you book a high cube container it will be loaded in the center of the ship, less likely to take on water in a storm.
If your trailer has the tail hard points, use three heavy duty ratchet straps: One for the tail, one over the axle and one on the tongue to the hard points at the bottom of the container wall.
I'd recommend building a pyramid-shaped stand for the tongue with a tow ball on top, to stabilise the trailer and keep weight off the jockey wheel. Chock/nail that in too.
Things must be clean. Australian quarantine (AQIS) can be trouble if you leave any dirt on the trailer, or if there is bark on any wood you chock with or have in the trailer.
Find out from the person you're shipping to which connector is on their vehicle and either make an adapter for the trailer or they can make one so the trailer can be driven away from the docks.
American 4-wire trailer wiring is illegal in Australia.
Red tail lights, amber turn signals, red brake lights, plus the usual side markers. But they'll probably overlook that at the dock.
If you're selling the trailer it's the buyers responsibility, but if it's for you to fly... It takes more effort to clear the trailer into Australia than the glider.
Jim
Old February 9th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 10:37:25 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
[...]

Jim,
Thanks for all of the great information. It is much appreciated!
Renny
Old February 9th 18, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 12:32:04 PM UTC-8, Renny wrote:
I know there are folks that have shipped a glider and trailer in a 40 foot container and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good company that ships containers from the West Coast (LA area) to Australia. Does anyone have any company recommendations?
Thanks, in advance - Renny

Renny, I might have some stuff that needs to go to Australia. Please contact me off-list.
Old February 9th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

I'd ask Rex Mayes at Williams. They ship gliders from germany in containers all the time.
John cochrane
Old February 9th 18, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 12:02:07 PM UTC-7, John Cochrane wrote:
I'd ask Rex Mayes at Williams. They ship gliders from germany in containers all the time.
John cochrane

John,
Thanks for your help!
Renny

Old February 10th 18, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 9:37:25 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
[...]

I don't know about your container, but mine showed up on a semi. The floor of the trailer was about 5 ft off the ground. If you have access to a loading dock - and a way to drive the trailer on to the dock - then you can just back the trailer into the container. Otherwise you will have to figure out a way to elevate the trailer. I used fork lifts, but you may not have that.. One person used a flat bed car hauler; the bed tilts and they winch the trailer onto the bed. The driver then levels the bed with the end of the trailer sticking way past the bed, and backs the trailer into the container. I have also seen a long ramp constructed to load/unload the trailer to/from the container. Just be sure the ramp can take the weight of the trailer.

Tom

Old February 10th 18, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

It's been 15 years since I bought my current glider. The shipping company plastered stickers on the trailer front and back. The stickers were exceedingly difficult to remove, even with a hot air gun.

If you're shipping, might consider putting masking film or maybe plastic removable rattle can spray front and rear.

Search Amazon hard surface protection film
Old February 10th 18, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 11:22:16 PM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
It's been 15 years since I bought my current glider. The shipping company plastered stickers on the trailer front and back. The stickers were exceedingly difficult to remove, even with a hot air gun.

If you're shipping, might consider putting masking film or maybe plastic removable rattle can spray front and rear.

Search Amazon hard surface protection film

Guessing that would have been Ro-Ro?

Re 2G comment, I loaded the container in the yard of Primary's warehouse. The loadmaster took the container off the trailer with a forklift, and replaced it when loaded.
If you watch this done, it is normal that the container is not level. This helps when lowering the fittings on the container onto the those on the trailer.
On the return trip it was unloaded at a warehouse with plenty of docks.
If you can't get to the yard, organise the loading at a place with a loading dock. Long trailers and ramps aren't an easy thing to deal with, dual forklifts is interesting too.
Jim