Returning to soaring after long time away...best BFR/refresher study material?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 28th 20, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Rose

Default Returning to soaring after long time away...best BFR/refresher study material?

Hello, I was last an active (licensed) glider pilot 15 years ago at White Sands Soaring Association in Alamogordo NM. Due to a busy military career, I put soaring on hold--but no more! I recently retired from the military and moved to Tucson AZ. Today, I just drove back from El Tiro gliderport where I applied to the Tucson Soaring Club. I am giddy at the thought of soaring again!

I have a lot of refresher training to do, and a lot to learn about FAA changes since I was last current ~2005. Although I held a CFIG years ago, that means little right now--I am non-current in many ways. I don't just want to 'pass' a BFR, as there also a whole lot that I am sure I forgot and I need to find & fill those gaps. I want to find that love of flying and enjoy it again--and be a safe, proficient & knowledgeable pilot.

Question is: what robust Biannual Flight Review or "long dang time since you last flew" study material is out there just for this kind of purpose? What will get me current again on glider FARs and overall flying changes over the last 15 years?

Open to any and all suggestions, and thank you for your inputs.

Mark Rose

Advice on returning to Soaring after over 20 years Michael[_12_] Soaring 23 November 20th 17 12:12 AM
First Aviation Pics in a LONG time Scubabix Aviation Photos 0 June 5th 08 01:48 PM
Long time listener, first time caller :-) iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Aviation Photos 4 September 4th 07 03:12 PM
Confession time (long) Alan Piloting 21 April 7th 05 07:50 PM
The Soaring Server is dead; long live the Soaring Servers John Leibacher Soaring 3 November 1st 04 10:57 PM