A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Returning to soaring after long time away...best BFR/refresher study material?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 28th 20, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Rose
external usenet poster

Default Returning to soaring after long time away...best BFR/refresher study material?

Hello, I was last an active (licensed) glider pilot 15 years ago at White Sands Soaring Association in Alamogordo NM. Due to a busy military career, I put soaring on hold--but no more! I recently retired from the military and moved to Tucson AZ. Today, I just drove back from El Tiro gliderport where I applied to the Tucson Soaring Club. I am giddy at the thought of soaring again!

I have a lot of refresher training to do, and a lot to learn about FAA changes since I was last current ~2005. Although I held a CFIG years ago, that means little right now--I am non-current in many ways. I don't just want to 'pass' a BFR, as there also a whole lot that I am sure I forgot and I need to find & fill those gaps. I want to find that love of flying and enjoy it again--and be a safe, proficient & knowledgeable pilot.

Question is: what robust Biannual Flight Review or "long dang time since you last flew" study material is out there just for this kind of purpose? What will get me current again on glider FARs and overall flying changes over the last 15 years?

Open to any and all suggestions, and thank you for your inputs.

Mark Rose