Gas Strut- SZD-59 Canopy?

Old December 3rd 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Default Gas Strut- SZD-59 Canopy?

Anyone know the specs for the gas strut used on the SZD-59's canopy?
The writing on mine is beyond reading and I would like to replace it
(without paying the $ZD factory price or waiting weeks for the
infos...) since mine is a bit soft.

I've measured the shaft at 8mm and eye to eye being somewhere around
32-35cm (estimated since I didn't undo the wire cable stop that limits
it from opening full range). No idea on the force though...

TIA,
-Paul
Old December 4th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy[_7_]

Paul,
Contact Rex at Williams.
My 59 is having a conditional inspection right now.
By the way, how is the vent coming along?
Guy
Old December 4th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Dec 3, 4:19*pm, Guy wrote:
Paul,
Contact Rex at Williams.
My 59 is having a conditional inspection right now.
By the way, how is the vent coming along?
Guy

Hi Guy,

Waiting for strut pricing from Jerzy. Called Rex but no luck. Called
Suspa (manufacture of strut) earlier but my numbers I managed to read
were nonsense to them, so no luck there either. Mine still works OK-
ish, it just likes to drop the canopy on my back while I'm 'under the
hood' and I jostle it if it's cold out. My temp solution will be to
put a double split shaft collar( http://pacificindustries.com/force/p...tail/2ssc.html
)on it so i can lock it open for stretches without worry of getting
bitten or even worse- having the canopy break... eeeek! If anyone
here knows the strut specs though...

Vents. I'm almost done with a MKV(?) version made for an EB-28, which
was kinda tricky since the hatch is so small but thick, but I really
like this one as it's coming out well. Working on one for a DG-200,
and of course need to make yours for your 59. Reason I haven't made it
yet is I may modify (or make a new one...) the one I already made, but
first need to take some specific measurements to figure out the max
clearances so the funnel/bell mouth can be as large as possible to
minimize the unavoidable compromises. It will be done this winter
though Also making one for another 59 or two and a 'kit' for a
48-3.

-Paul
Old December 4th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5SZ

On Dec 3, 7:51*pm, sisu1a wrote:
On Dec 3, 4:19*pm, Guy wrote:

[...]

The strut on the SZD 55 is rated at 390N. If I remember about 23N per
pound. Mine is bult by Fiat Nr. 5.26.200/4369120.
I ordered it thru dealer in Canada, and took only about three weeks.
Price wasn't that bad.

Paul SZD
Old December 11th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

The strut on the SZD 55 is rated at 390N. If I remember about 23N per
pound. Mine is bult by Fiat Nr. 5.26.200/4369120.
I ordered it thru dealer in Canada, and took only about three weeks.
Price wasn't that bad.

Paul SZD

Thanks for the infos. The strut in the 59 is one in the same, but it
is actually made by Suspa- for Fiat. Too bad Suspa can't make sense of
the numbers, since there is one more variable to deal with besides the
size, stroke, and force. The force is not linear, and depending how
much oil is in the body, the compressed force can range from 30-80%
higher than the rated force. If Suspa could identify it by the
numbers, the spring is a $15 part...

Luckily Windpath got back to me quickly, and you're right... not a bad
price. $105 inc shipping, and is already on it's way.

Thanks All,
-Paul