Canopy Strut

Old January 15th 04, 02:07 PM
Kilo Charlie

Default Canopy Strut

Last time I needed to replace a canopy strut (years ago on another glider)
someone suggested using an automotive strut made for the back doors of cars.
They would obviously be easier to obtain but does anyone have any info re
lengths or strengths of these gas struts? I need it for an LS-8.

Thanks,
Casey

Old January 15th 04, 02:51 PM
mm

"Kilo Charlie" wrote in message
Last time I needed to replace a canopy strut (years ago on another glider)
someone suggested using an automotive strut made for the back doors of

cars.
They would obviously be easier to obtain but does anyone have any info re
lengths or strengths of these gas struts? I need it for an LS-8.

Thanks,
Casey

McMaster Carr sells a wide selection of them.

Old January 15th 04, 03:26 PM
Tim Ward

"Kilo Charlie" wrote in message
Last time I needed to replace a canopy strut (years ago on another glider)
someone suggested using an automotive strut made for the back doors of

cars.
They would obviously be easier to obtain but does anyone have any info re
lengths or strengths of these gas struts? I need it for an LS-8.

Thanks,
Casey

McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) has a selection of gas struts.

Tim Ward

Old January 15th 04, 08:23 PM
tango4

Canopy struts are usually filled to very high pressures ( strength ) and you
may have to get one topped up or filled specially by the manufacturers

Ian

Old January 15th 04, 09:20 PM
Udo Rumpf

"Kilo Charlie" wrote in message
Last time I needed to replace a canopy strut (years ago on another glider)
someone suggested using an automotive strut made for the back doors of

cars.
They would obviously be easier to obtain but does anyone have any info re
lengths or strengths of these gas struts? I need it for an LS-8.

Thanks,
Casey

Hi,
Take the unit out of the glider and measure and calculate how much
force you need to lift the canopy and ad 10% for security. Go to an
auto motive supply house with the failed strut. Also take with you a
bath room scale and a piece of wood to lay across the scale.
The strut most likely will need about 200lb to be compressed,
to do the job.
But each canopy and lever arrangement is slightly different.
If you have access to a drill press in the store you are home free.
All you have to do compress a few struts with the drill press and with
the scale under the strut, to find the right one.
Simpler still, buy it from the glider supplier.
I have done the above a number of times,
but I have a good working relation with the store manager
and everything I needed to do the job was right there.
Udo

Old January 17th 04, 02:54 AM
BTIZ

the struts should be marked in "Newton's", plus you will need to know the
extension and compressed lengths.. easy to match that.. and to match the
strut..

also check out "Truck or Camper" shell sales companies.. they also use the
struts to raise the rear window, but may not have the strength required

BT