How dangerous is soaring?

Old October 31st 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Default How dangerous is soaring?

I couldn't imagine life without the smile of a pretty girl, a field of
wildflowers, the majesty of mountain ranges, fall colors, the first snow,
and of course soaring.

You weigh the risks, you mitigate what you can, you accept those that seem
managable or are worth it.

YES

bumper

Old October 31st 07, 07:24 AM
mart mart is offline
Junior Member

gliding is not dangerous, but it can be highly unforgiving.

Every decision should be a consious one.

"Is it safe to fly in that direction?"

"should I fly with a audio vario or flarm?"

"did I do a good preflight check?"

Sometimes when I am confrontated with a difficult decision , I pretend that I ask my girlfriend ( flies too) would do. That it itself is already a reason to look for other options.
I also found that it is often not the super pilot that takes the most chances , but more the sub-top "wanna-be's ".
Old October 31st 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 30, 9:14 pm, "bumper" wrote:
I couldn't imagine life without the smile of a pretty girl, a field of
wildflowers, the majesty of mountain ranges, fall colors, the first snow,
and of course soaring.

You left out gadgets Bumper....

Old October 31st 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I can't understand your rudeness 'R'. I believe you haven't been on a
same situaiton than I am. I have flown almost everywhere and I have
flown numerous competitions plus I have been instructing since 1992.
So I believe I am qualified to fly glider just fine and write about
it.

I am not sure if you guys understood my consern.What happened to those
extremely skillfull pilots ie Geoff Loyns? can the same thing happen
to my other friends or myself. Is it worth trying the thin ice
anymore?

That who said that soaring is not dangerous is wrong. You can get
killed without your own reason. You can just thermal on a 10 footer
and some one who is joining the lift, hits you from behind. Maybe he
didn't see you at all. That has happened numerous times. Luckily most
of them has survived, few didn't.

PS

--
mart

Old October 31st 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert van de Sandt

Hello,

I just suggest to read the following

http://www.ls-flugzeugbau.de/safety-comes-first-e.html

and make your own opinion.

Robert
Old October 31st 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 31 Oct, 00:50, Ramy wrote:

I think the most important is to understand the big risk involved, and
not to be in denial like some posters who believe that as long as you
are not doing stupid mistakes you are safe.

If that's a reference to me then you have missed my point. Which is
that by no being stupid the risk can be enormously reduced, not that
soaring can be safe. Nothing is safe.

If it's not a reference to me just ignore this!

Ian

Old October 31st 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 31 Oct, 00:56, 1LK wrote:
At my present age, my risk of dying on any given day is in the range
of 1 in 80.

How old are you? A 1 in 80 chance of dying today means that you have a
79 in 80 chance of making it to tomorrow, which is a (79/80)^365 = 1%
chance of making it through a year. I'll bet even 100 year olds have a
better survival rate than that ...

Ian

Old October 31st 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
1LK

On Oct 31, 5:36 am, Ian wrote:
How old are you? A 1 in 80 chance of dying today means that you

have a
79 in 80 chance of making it to tomorrow, which is a (79/80)^365 = 1%
chance of making it through a year. I'll bet even 100 year olds have a
better survival rate than that ...

Ian

Well under 100. Ian (although not as far under as I'd like). It's a
multifactorial analysis and some of the factors that go into it are
personal, but, given the assumptions, it's probably a decent
characterization. The risk isn't additive, BTW; it remains about the
same day to day as long as the factors used to calculate it are
stable.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

Old October 31st 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 31 Oct, 11:32, 1LK wrote:
On Oct 31, 5:36 am, Ian wrote:
How old are you? A 1 in 80 chance of dying today means that you

have a

79 in 80 chance of making it to tomorrow, which is a (79/80)^365 = 1%
chance of making it through a year. I'll bet even 100 year olds have a
better survival rate than that ...

Ian

Well under 100. Ian (although not as far under as I'd like). It's a
multifactorial analysis and some of the factors that go into it are
personal, but, given the assumptions, it's probably a decent
characterization. The risk isn't additive, BTW; it remains about the
same day to day as long as the factors used to calculate it are
stable.

So you really do only have a 1% chance of being here next year? What
are you doing posting to Usenet - go flying. It's probably not worth
buying a flarm, by the way. Or a parachute.

Ian

Old October 31st 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Have you thought about increasing your odds of survival in an incident like
this by installing a Ballistic Recovery Chut in your glider?

Mike Schumann

oups.com...