Diamond DA-40 with G-1000 pirep

Old July 20th 04, 03:09 PM
Thomas Borchert

The guy at Northworst is a big mouth.

We're on the same page there.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 20th 04, 03:11 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dude wrote:

This could be overcome by new engines, but no one seems to want to buy or
support a new engine design in the certified world.

There are at least three new designs that have either obtained certification in the
last few years or are in various stages of being certified. Lycoming was involved in
one (a diesel), but I'm not sure they are still involved. I like the looks of the
Honda best myself, but it's a few years from certification. Porsche even made a stab
at it about ten years ago. They're still supporting them. The sales records support
your argument in that few people bought them, though.

On the other hand, Maule was working on adapting the SMA diesel to their aircraft
before the company actually got certification for the engine. Although Cessna and
Piper probably won't move fast, I'm sure that companies like Lancair will start using
other engines if they display particular advantages over existing ones.

George Patterson
In Idaho, tossing a rattlesnake into a crowded room is felony assault.
In Tennessee, it's evangelism.
Old July 20th 04, 03:27 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dude wrote:

100LL is not necessarily going away, but its possible that when it does, it
will go quickly.

Oh, it will. According to the speaker at a seminar on gasoline at Oshkosh a few years
ago, there is currently only one plant making tetraethyl lead. It's in Britain. They
have announced that they will be closing down within eight years due to a decreasing
market and the age of their equipment. I would expect that, if it is uneconomical for
that company to upgrade their equipment, it will not be economical for any other firm
to build a new plant and enter the market. Maybe the Chinese could, however.

Old July 20th 04, 05:43 PM
Stefan

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Porsche even made a stab
at it about ten years ago. They're still supporting them. The sales records support
your argument in that few people bought them, though.

This article tries to explain the disaster.
http://www.seqair.com/Other/PFM/PorschePFM.html
I don't know whether it's wisdom or hogwash.

Stefan

Old July 20th 04, 11:46 PM
Russell Kent

George Patterson wrote:
Do a comparison of the diesel and gas Maules. The diesel costs more,

True.

is slower (due to cooling drag),

It may be slower, but it doesn't "ring true" to me that the cause is higher
cooling drag. Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines
because they extract more of the chemical energy as useful work, and less
chemical energy is converted to waste heat. With less waste heat, their
cooling drag should be *less* than a gasoline engine's.

and carries less weight (the engine weighs more).

True.

Russell Kent

Old July 21st 04, 12:52 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Russell Kent wrote:

It may be slower, but it doesn't "ring true" to me that the cause is higher
cooling drag. Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines
because they extract more of the chemical energy as useful work, and less
chemical energy is converted to waste heat. With less waste heat, their
cooling drag should be *less* than a gasoline engine's.

Well, they don't. They have a higher compression ratio, and that produces heat. The
SMA diesel is air-cooled, it produces more waste heat than an IO-540, and there's
more cooling drag than with an IO-540.

Old July 21st 04, 01:45 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Russell Kent wrote:

It may be slower, but it doesn't "ring true" to me that the cause is

higher
cooling drag. Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines
because they extract more of the chemical energy as useful work, and

less
chemical energy is converted to waste heat. With less waste heat, their
cooling drag should be *less* than a gasoline engine's.

Well, they don't. They have a higher compression ratio, and that produces

heat. The
SMA diesel is air-cooled, it produces more waste heat than an IO-540, and

there's
more cooling drag than with an IO-540.

Aren't they also heavier, i.e., pound of engine weight per HP generated?

Old July 21st 04, 02:49 AM
Mike Schumann

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in the diesel version in the US.
What percentage of DA40s sold in Europe are diesel vs. gas?

Mike Schumann

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Dan,

In Europe, the Diesel is a total winner.

As for the other things, IMHO it really depends on the mission. I see
the DA40 showing up at more and more FBOs in the US. I can't see any
negatives comparing them to a new 172 - and a lot of positives. IMHO, a
creating a new 172/Archer makes a lot of sense, since both leave a lot
to be desired - speed among them. Even if you only think of the Star as
a 172 that's 20 knots faster, you stilll have a winner. And that
doesn't take into account how well it flies and the great visibility.

The amazing thing to me is that the SR20, similarly equipped, is just
10 or 15k more expensive. IMHO, you get a whole lot more airplane for
that money. But then, for Europe, they don't have the right engine for
the SR20 - and according to Cirrus, none is in sight, either.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 21st 04, 04:14 AM
C J Campbell

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in the diesel version in the US.
What percentage of DA40s sold in Europe are diesel vs. gas?

I believe it is 100%.

Old July 21st 04, 04:18 AM
C J Campbell

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Is there a means to leave the transponder on? Ground radar is being

tested at
Providence now, and is likely going to be showing up at air carrier

airports
around the country soon requires the transponder on for any movement on

the
ground.

The G-1000 has a "squitter," (Is that the right term? Someone help me out
here...) a device that replies to Mode S queries from radar while on the
ground. It can also be manually switched to Mode A or C on the ground by
pushing a single button.