Colibri II thinks I have an engine

Old July 1st 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Default Colibri II thinks I have an engine

I just did my 5 hour glide for silver/gold duration. My Colibri II's IGC file, as reported in SeeYou PC, shows the correct Takeoff time, Begin soaring time, Landing time, Duration, but then claims a Soaring End time 2 hours 42 minutes into the flight which was actually 5 hours 15 minutes total. It then claims an Engine time of 00:02:08 which does not relate to anything. Especially the fact that our Cirrus does not have an engine. The time on tow was 2 minutes, 27 seconds.

The IGC trace in SeeYou appears complete and uninterrupted when I zoom into the exact time that it claimed soaring ended.

Any ideas? This Colibri was new this year and it's the first flight of about 9 that shows a problem. I have it fairly well exposed to the sky just above the canopy frame by the vent window. I wonder if wind buffetting near the unit could triggered engine run. ... Aaron
Old July 1st 12, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

It's not problem with Colibri. It might be that it has recorded some
noise level which was automatically interpreted as engine run by SeeYou.
If you fly motorless glider, check "Pure glider" in flight properties to
tell SeeYou to ignore noise level.

And remember, SeeYou is a great analisys tool, but it's not a ultimate
claim validation system. It's sometimes wrong in it's automatic guesses
but it does makes claim invalid.

--
WojtuÅ›

Old July 1st 12, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 1:53:03 PM UTC-7, akiley wrote:
[...]

Do you have a link to the IGC file?

When you look at the ENL data what do you see? Opening a vent (I note your "by the vent window..." comment), repositioning the flight recorder near a vent, putting down the gear etc. may all be enough to fool the ENL processing. Or maybe something else is going on here, should be kind of obvious by poking around in SeeYou (if not to you, at least to others, so give us a link to the file..).

Your OO should hopefully be able to note when the flight actually ended, note any discrepancies, here etc. and include that in the application submission.

Darryl
Old July 2nd 12, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Thanks, and also thanks for your web site's badge help files which I have found useful.

I bet is was the wind from the vent. I was even thinking about keeping the Colibrii cool after reading of electronics failing due to overheating. It was a really hot day.

I'm not sure how I upload my IGC to the group, but it's on OLC here. (Region 6, 6/27/20012, Aaron Kiley). ... Aaron

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...=olc&c=US&sc=6

Old July 2nd 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wojciech Scigala

Użytkownik akiley napisał:

I'm not sure how I upload my IGC to the group, but it's on OLC here. (Region 6, 6/27/20012, Aaron Kiley). ... Aaron
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...=olc&c=US&sc=6

Your guess was right, it was a noise spike.

Edit-Flight Properties-set "Pure Glider".

--
WojtuÅ›

Old July 2nd 12, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

Is this OK for badge flights? Don't I have to prove I'm not running an engine? ..l Aaron
Old July 2nd 12, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 4:56:43 PM UTC-7, akiley wrote:
Is this OK for badge flights? Don't I have to prove I'm not running an engine? ..l Aaron

Oops obvious bad ENL glitches there. You should look at those and think back - were you opening the nearby vent window when they occurred?

You don't have an engine to run, so no you do not need to prove you are not running it. You are not even required to have an ENL capable flight recorder, b but you just happen to and its just recording some noise. Just save hassle and have the OO note that you don't have there are spurious ENL glitches in the file and that, indeed your glider does not have an engine.

Darryl
Old July 2nd 12, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
akiley

OK, my bad. The Colibri was mounted near the side vent and I remember using my hand to divert extra air into the hit cockpit. Lesson learned.

....Aaron
Old July 2nd 12, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've had one case in which my Colibi recorded an "engine running" in flight in my ASW-15. I tried several ways to try to duplicate the problem with cockpit noise (side window open, side window vent open, hand out the side window, nose vent full open, high speed flight, gear down, full forward slip, full forward slip with gear down, window open and nose vent full open...) NONE of these produced a noticeable increase in recorded ENL as seen on SeeYou. On the other hand by looking at the ENL trace I can determine pretty accurately when the tow rope was released. Because of this I thought that the noise recorder might be filtered so it only detects noise in the spectrum produced by engines.

I've also had one case in which the Colibri said that ten minutes after I had parked my glider by the trailer I flew five Km. NW and back to the trailer at ground level in twenty seconds. I've completed over three hundred flights with the Colibri and these are the only two anomalous records it's produced and neither one caused a problem with OLC or a badge flight though.
Old July 2nd 12, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter F[_2_]

Doesn't the sporting code require that an OO remove the logger from the
glider & download the trace?

If the logger has been outside of a "controlled environment" for this long
will the claim be valid?

PF