Compiled List of Aircraft-Accessible Aviation Museums

Old January 7th 04, 06:07 PM
Carl Ellis

There is also a small helicopter museum at Lenhardt's Airpark in Hubbard
Oregon.

- Carl -
Old January 7th 04, 07:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Larry Dighera wrote:

I agree; I find these old blimp hangars are interesting, but those
below purport to be the largest:

They're the same design and size. The Navy built 17 of these in 1942.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 7th 04, 07:52 PM
EDR

Helicopter museum at Brandwine PA (N99)
One of the prototype V-22 Osprey sits in front.

Lexington KY has an air museum (KLEX) on the field that you can park in
front of.
Old January 7th 04, 07:55 PM
John Ousterhout

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:43:05 GMT, Jerry Springer
wrote:

http://www.tillamookair.com

Just wanted to add to the Tillamook, Oregon listing.
I live 10 minutes by RV-6 from the Tillamook air museum. The building is almost
as interesting as the aircraft. It is an old WWll blimp hangar and is the
largest wooden structure in the world. There used to be two hangars but about 10
years ago one of them burned down while being used to store hay.

If you land on runway 1 at Tillamook, OR (S47), just continue to the
north end and then taxi to the Blimp Hangar. Otherwise backtaxi on
19. You can park right next to the door. There's an cafe for your
hundred dollar burger, although it's closed until March 6.

Jerry's right -- The Blimp Hanger is itself worth a trip. It covers
seven acres. Be sure to check out the basketball hoops at each end,
1072 feet apart, 192 feet high.

There's a free film about the hangar construction. It was planned
before WWII, and then after Pearl Harbor the builders were told to
rush, but not use steel as that was needed for other things. So they
used wood. Some of the timbers made from old growth Douglas Fir are
12x16".

- John Ousterhout -

Old January 7th 04, 08:00 PM
David Brooks

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
22. Around he The Museum of Flight (WHERE IS "HERE"? :-)

Sorry: the Pacific Northwest. http://www.museumofflight.org/, right by the
end of BFI 13R.

-- David Brooks

Old January 7th 04, 08:32 PM
Wayne Paul

Warhawk Air Museum located that the Nampa, Idaho airport (S67).
http://www.warhawkairmuseum.org/
http://www.sadona.com/nampa_air/

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

. 97.136...

Old January 7th 04, 08:36 PM
baltobernie

Wildwood, New Jersey Naval Air Station museum

http://www.usnasw.org/

Old January 7th 04, 09:00 PM
Cub Driver

25. New England Air Museum at Bradley International Airport, (BDL) Windsor
Locks, CT. They have a website ,but it appears to be down.

The only time I visited, I went by car. As I recall, it's a separate
entrance from the airline terminal. I don't know how it stands with
respect to GA.

Very nice museum. It has an early Cub, maybe a J-2? No brakes, in any
event. A Corsair with a stairs for kids' tour groups; I sweet-talked
the docent into letting me go up and sit in the cockpit, a real
thrill. A B-47 outdoors (maybe indoors now?) that I also went through,
since I was at a B-47 vets' reunion. A wonderful old flying boat, with
a vintage car to go with it. A gift shop with none of my books in it

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 7th 04, 09:10 PM
Kris Kortokrax

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]
WOW! I had no idea this thread would be so productive! Here is the list,
compiled from all of your posts

I'm going to add a page of these museums to our aviation-theme hotel's
website, once we've got it compiled. What a terrific tool this will be!

Add more if you can!

Jay,

Valparaiso, IN - Indiana Aviation Museum
http://www.in-am.org/

We offer rides in the airplanes.
I know Al Stix does rides at Creve Coeur also.

You might consider including that info for the museums who offer it.

Kris

Old January 7th 04, 11:07 PM
Dan Thomas

Add another to your list: The Reynolds-Alberta Museum, at Wetaskiwin,
Alberta, Canada, ident CEX3, not far south of Edmonton. It's a great
collection of antique cars, trucks, tractors and airplanes. Right on
the airport.
See http://www.eidnet.org/local/aqueduct/ram.htm

Dan