Oregon vacation

Old May 26th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Oregon vacation

Okay,
You guys helped me plan my Canadian fishing trip flight last summer. This time I'm headed to Oregon.
Unfortunately, due to fuel prices we've made the decision to take the airlines instead of the Cherokee. We'll fly in
to Portland and be spending a week in the Astoria, Seaside area. So far I've got one Columbia river fishing trip
being set up and might possibly do an offshore trip as well. We'll be touring some of the old forts in the area. I
also hope to visit the Van's aircraft factory and get a tour and demo ride in an RV at Aurora while we're there.
(Don't tell the wife)! I think I recall that some of you may be from the area and I would appreciate other
suggestions on how to spend the rest of the week. We'll have a rental car and unlimited mileage. I was thinking of
heading South down the coast and also maybe up the Columbia on day trips. Suggestions, anyone? Any good places to
rent a Cherokee or 172?

--
Joe Schneider
8437R

Old May 26th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Since you'll be in Astoria, drive up to the Ark restaurant in Nahcotta
some night. New owners, but I gather the food is still exceptional.
It's not someplace you can get to EXCEPT via Astoria/Warrenton.

Around PDX, you shouldn't miss driving out the Columbia Gorge and
stopping at the waterfalls. (Vicky and I were married at Wahkeena
Falls) Take the old highway east from Troutdale, not I-80, except when
you have to. Then continue east to Hood River and go right around Mt
Hood, returning on 26. Be sure to stop at Timberline Lodge. This is
a MUCH more interesting drive than the coast.

Don

Old May 26th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gold Beach... jet boat ride up the Rogue River

Bend... art in public places

South of Bend... Lava tube, 1 mile long; cinder cones (I cannot remember
the name of the National Park)

a little farther south of Bend... Crater Lake NP (this is a must see if
you are in the area). Nice cabins are inexpensive and comfortable. Drive
around the lake, take the boat ride, hike Wizard Island (take a backpack
with picnic lunch, snacks and lots of water), eat in the lodge.

Seal Beach

Light houses

Columbia River Gorge... drive on the two lane east. See the numberous
waterfalls, Bonneville Dam and fish ladder; what is that overlook above
the road on top of the hill?

on the Washington side... there is "rock" you can climb via an iron
stairs that looks east toward the dam; fish hatchery just beyond where
the wind surfers park near the Dalles (?) where the gorge narrows
Old May 26th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I used to live in Bend. If I remember correctly, that National Park is
called Lave River Beds, or something to that effect.

The Lava Tube is right in between LaPine and Bend on Hwy 97and is
called Lave River Caves, I have pics. of going all the way to the end
(you have to crawl and it actually goes under Hwy 97.

Also if you are in Bend, and if you like burgers, try Baba's and TJ's
and Pilot Butte Drive-In. Speaking of Pilot Butte, boy that place
brings back memories, I used to make out with girls there back when I
was in High School.

Yet another thing to do in Bend is check out Columbia, they are based
at the Bend Airport.

Old May 26th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"JJS" jschneider@remove socks cebridge.net wrote in message
I think I recall that some of you may be from the area and I would
appreciate other suggestions on how to spend the rest of the week. We'll
have a rental car and unlimited mileage. I was thinking of heading South
down the coast and also maybe up the Columbia on day trips. Suggestions,
anyone? Any good places to rent a Cherokee or 172?

Well, you're coming to great flying country and a great time of year.

For rental I recommend Gorge Winds in Troutdale. (503-665-2823) They have
an very nice IFR C-172 for around $75 last I checked (I've been flying the
Arrow, so I can't remember.) One reason is, the entrance to the Columbia
Gorge is one mile off the end of Rwy 07, and it's about a 90 minute round
trip around Mt. St. Helens, which steams on cold days but hasn't thrown up
any dust in several months.
This is misnamed: It's actually Hood/St.Helens/Jefferson, but you get the
idea. This was a 1.3 hour round trip including three 10-mile-radius circles
around the mountain: http://damnnearwiley.com/AdamsHelensHood72dpi.jpg

A VERY scenic flight is from Troutdale-Scappoose-Aurora-Troutdale. Follow
the Battleground VOR to descent to Scappose and you'll come over the
Columbia River and the Sauvie Island wildlife refuge. Departing Scappoose,
contact Portland tower and they'll vector you over the city at 4,000 feet
directly to Aurora, or if you request it they'll let you fly up the
Willamette right through downtown Portland and it's almost a straight line
from Scappoose to Aurora. From Aurora you can return to Troutdale over
Willamette Falls/Oregon City OR fly another 20 minutes or so west to
McMinnville. A van will take you from the FBO to the air museum, which has
the Spruce Goose, an SR-71 (the power plants are removed and on display), a
B-17, an bf109G with the original engine and a C-47 that participated in
D-Day.

The Troutdale/Scappoose/Aurora triangle can be done in less than an hour on
the airplane, and the McMinnville addition adds another .6 or so. But, if
the weather's up, you can go west to Tillamook which has the blimp hangar
air museum. In the hangar there are usually two blimps, a P-38 (Jeff
Ethell's documentary was filmed in it here, and this is where he died flying
a different '38), F-4U, B-25, P-47, Super Guppy, Catalina, F-14, Buschon
bf109, Mustangs, etc. Tillamook is right on the Oregon Coast, so you can
fly north along the coastline to Astoria or south to Newport, but each will
cost you $20 or more one way for a cab into town unless you arrange a loaner
or rental car. A great local lunch is dungeoness crab or smoked salmon and
Tillamook port wine cheese on good crackers or bread with coffee (or any
number of local wines if you're not flying.)

Another option is the Columbia Gorge to The Dalles. The view is, for lack
of better term, awesome.

Lastly, if you're land-lubbin' and looking for something to do, I recommend
the Edgefield Manor in Troutdale; but it's a brewing/vinyard complex with
restaurants, wine tasting, on-site microbrewing, a theater, golf, a
cigar-bar, hotel rooms, etc. A great place to eat dinner is the Portland
City Grill which is on the 40th floor (or so) of Portland's tallest
skyscraper. The after-hours lounge is pretty hopping and if you get there
early enough you can get a plush window seat with a great view of the city.

Enjoy your trip! If you're coming in mid-June or later, you can pretty much
count on at least a couple of good VFR flying days. If you have any other
questions, feel free to e-mail me at gatt at juggerbot dot com.

-c

Old May 26th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"john smith" wrote in message

Columbia River Gorge... drive on the two lane east. See the numberous
waterfalls, Bonneville Dam and fish ladder; what is that overlook above
the road on top of the hill?

Crown Point. It has -just- been fully restored and opened to the public
(free.) It's on the old highway, which the kind of driving road you see in
car commercials.

Old May 26th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As others have suggested, the Columbia Gorge has great scenery.
Multinomial Falls is only 30 miles east from Portland on I-84. You
wouldn't see the falls well from the air :-)

If you have time, Crater Lake is a Don't Miss.

If you haven't flown along the Pacific coast before it's a real treat.
At these three airports I've walked (approx. 10-15 minutes) to the beach.

Siletz Bay State Airport, http://airnav.com/airport/S45
Unattended the last time I was there, walk west to the Highway, south
a quarter mile, then west to the beach.

Nehalem Bay State Airport, http://airnav.com/airport/3S7
Unattended, walk west through the campground, over a dune and you're
on the beach.

Pacific City State Airport, http://airnav.com/airport/KPFC
Unattended, right in the middle of the town, A short narrow field
with frequent gusty crosswinds. It's a short walk to the Beach where
you can see Haystack Rock.

- John (displaced Oregonian) Ousterhout -

Old May 27th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John, Gatt, Don, & John,

Thanks a million guys. What an agenda! We'll see how much of this we can fit in. I'm not a golfer so that is out.
Everthing else sounds very apealing. I wasn't going to try for crater lake because of the distance, even though I'd
heard it was beautiful. You've about talked me into it though. When the wife saw the aerial pictures of Mt. St.
Helens she said "We're gonna do that"! I may have to break into the rainy day fund to afford everything, but what
the heck. The only other thing that might be an obstacle is we're expected to spend some time with the in laws who
will be in the area in their motorhome. They'll probably have some pre-planned outings for us because they go up
there every summer. Daddy in law tour guides at Fort Stevens for free RV hook-ups. He's been trying to get us to
come up for the last 4 or 5 years and I finally gave in. Thanks again for the great advice. I hope the weather
co-operates and we can rent the airplane.

Joe Schneider
N8437R

Old May 27th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Joe, one of the trips I did several years ago ...

Day One:
From Portland, drive east up the Columbia River gorge to The Dalles.
Take you time and stop along the way at all the water falls, the dam,
fish hatchery, etc.
Day Two:
Go south on the two-lane to Bend. Have lunch, tour the town, go to the
Columbia factory (I didnt't get a chance to when I was there). Continue
south, do the lava tube tour (kids love it!). Next, stop a the cinder
cone and museum. Continue south to Crater Lake.
Day Three+:
Get up early, eat breakfast in the lodge. Drive around to the boat tour.
Get off at Wizard Island, eat your picnic lunch at the top of the cone.
Walk back down, catch the next boat, enjoy the tour around the rest of
the lake. Drive east around the crater. Have dinner at the lodge. Got to
the outdoor ranger program that night. Get a relaxing night's sleep.
Day Four:
Drive west, following the Rogue River. Stop and enjoy the pulloffs and
overlooks. Stop in Medford and take the Harry & David's tour. Go
northwest on I5 to US199. Take US199 southwest to Cresent City CA.
Day Five:
Leave early. Take US101 north along the coast. Stop and see the Redwood
Forest. Continue north to Gold Beach. Take the jet boat up the Rogue
River. The long trip takes you 50 miles upstream. When you get back have
dinner or continue driving north on US101 until you are ready to stop.
Day Six:
Continue north on US101. Stop where and when you like. There is much to
see. Continue north to North Lincoln (?). You now have a choice,
continue north on US101 or turn east onto Oregon 18. 101 will take you
to Tillamok, 18 will take you to McMinville and the Evergreen Museum.

Day Seven:
Of course, you could always go to Tillamok, then backtrack and go to
McMinville. If you went to Tillamok, you will spend the night there or
McMinville. After a good night's rest you will be ready to tour the
Evergreen Museum. Drive to Portland, enjoy a relaxing meal along the
Willamette River on the west bank.
Old May 27th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"john smith" wrote in message
Joe, one of the trips I did several years ago ...

Day One:
From Portland, drive east up the Columbia River gorge to The Dalles.
Take you time and stop along the way at all the water falls, the dam,
fish hatchery, etc.

O.K. we're definitley planning this.

Day Two:
Go south on the two-lane to Bend. Have lunch, tour the town, go to the
Columbia factory (I didnt't get a chance to when I was there). Continue
south, do the lava tube tour (kids love it!). Next, stop a the cinder
cone and museum. Continue south to Crater Lake.

I forgot the Columbia factory was in Bend. Hmmm.

[...]

I should have asked you guys for help before making my reservations in Seaside. We've only got seven days and two of
those are traveling there and back. One or two days will be consumed by fishing excursions. We'll have to base our
vacation plans from Seaside and limit it to day trips. We leave in a few days so it's too late to change motels
without suffering a penalty. During last nights discussion with the wife, and looking at the computer mapping
software on the laptop, we've about decided that Crater Lake and things further than say, 150 radius of Seaside will
have to wait for another time. Man, there sure is a lot to do and see around there. Sounds like this could turn
into a pilgramige every couple of years. Right now, I'm leaning towards one or two days fishing, a day driving trip
up the gorge with the In-laws, a day trip to Van's Aircraft, and hopefully a day spent getting checked out in and
flying a rental bird around St. Helens, etc. I sure would like to visit some of the museums, too and wine tasting and
restaurants sound great. If I only fish one day, another drivng trip South towards Tillamook will probably be
included. I don't like to plan too strignent a schedule. The wife and In-laws will have to be accomodated so I
can't plan just aviation type stuff, either. Darn! I'm really looking forward to this trip. Especially, if I can
rent an airplane and do some aerial sight seeing. I'm saving all of you guys' suggestions just in case we do a
return trip in a year or two. I'm kinda regretting our decision to leave the Cherokee at home. However, it's a two
day cross country each way with good weather and I'm not IFR rated. That extra two days would really cut into our
schedule. Thanks!

Joe Schneider
N8437R