CRJ crash at KLEX:

Old August 28th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default CRJ crash at KLEX:

Now if you want to find that there was a bunny rabbit on the runway
that messed up their pre-flight planning and caused the accident so be
it. But you cannot show me where you did anything to prevent this
accident.

If a bunny rabbit can mess up the pre-flight planning of a professional
crew, then that is something I'd like to see investigated further. I
wouldn't think it would be that easy, but I've made many mistakes that I
didn't think were that easy to make. Having made them, I learned from
them and modified my procedure. I am less likely to make that same
mistake again.

That's the difference between blame and cause.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 28th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 28 Aug 2006 08:07:58 -0700, "Tony" wrote:

If it's not on your checklist, add "verify the DG matches the runway
heading before advancing power for takeoff." My experience is, that
will catch a failed vacuum pump, not a wrong runway. I also like to
have one of the navs tuned to the ILS frequency and it's NOT because I
never see the localizer needle centered when I fly an approach!

I'd appreciate an explanation for tuning to the ILS.

David
Old August 28th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
. ..

"Tony" wrote in message

And isn't it true that both would have had to operate from that airport
before they could carry passengers?

No.

On a similar note, It is my understanding that in many airlines SOP, the
first time that a pilot flies a new aircraft (type?) it is full of
passengers as all training is done in a simulator.

YMMV

Old August 28th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

Have you ever been in a two person crew, on an early morning flight, in
the weather conditions at LEX?

People are in those conditions all the time, and this is apparently
the first time they've chosen the wrong runway.

Old August 28th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
That a person is dead does not mean that they
can't be blamed IF they caused the accident.

It is always easiest to just blame the dead guy.

Condolences to all.

Old August 28th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

You know, I'm not even going to dignify this with another post after
this. Fine, blame two people, one of whom is dead.

And the other, hopefully, will now be changing to a desk job, possibly
after being a guest of the government for a time.

Old August 28th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Brad writes:

Keep in mind you're dealing crotchety monday-morning-quarterback
"experts" who can say they always do everything perfectly for the eight
times a year they fly their 152 rental around the pattern on a Sunday
afternoon. Unlike folks like yourself and other professional pilots,
they have no ideas of the realities that the job places on decision
making, such as schedules, fatigue, time of day, weather, airfield
familiarity, inop equipment, miscommunication, etc.

No matter what the realities, you have to draw a line somewhere, and
this was clearly over the line.

Old August 28th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

It's not a criminal act. It was a horrible mistake.

A sufficiently horrible mistake can be held to be a criminal act.

Old August 28th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dice writes:

Before you start blaming the crew, look at how the plane would taxi from
the terminal building on taxiway alpha to the departure end of either 22 or
26.
http://avn.faa.gov/d-tpp/0608/00697AD.PDF

Looking at the diagram, can you imagine the confusing array of signage that
you'd have to negotiate to figure out taxiing from the terminal whether
you'd be at the departure end of 22 or 26? One sign that probably should
have been at the departure end of 26 and wasn't: "Caution, short runway, no
jets"

I think seeing a heading of 260 instead of 220 while sitting on the
runway would clue me in, no matter what the signs looked like.

Old August 28th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rick[_1_]

john smith wrote in message ...
Another thing I notice is the angle of turn from the taxiway to the
runway is about the same for the the two runways. There really isn't a
visual cue that the turn onto the runway might provide.

But there's one very obvious cue...there's no more taxiway once you've
arrived at 22. at the end of 26 you've got 2 taxiways to choose from. Then
there's runway 22 itself. Those visual cues should be obvious day or night.

- Rick