Most amusing land out

Old May 2nd 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Most amusing land out

On May 1, 5:08 pm, wrote:
these are all great!

Matt and I got visited by the State Police when we landed out last
spring in the Lark. He didnt stick around to help derig, said
something about a lot of towns in the area having prom that night,
sounded like a likely excuse...

My last landout in the Cherokee last year was 103 nautical miles
downwind in a beautiful fresh mowed hay field. On short final I
noticed a large group of about 30 people standing outside the house
watching me land. All were dressed in blue with straw hats and I knew
that I had arrived in Amish Paradise. Probably the friendliest folks
Ive met on a landout. Matt arrived with the trailer soon after.
Derig was very slow as the men really wanted to help, but were also
full of questions. The kids soaked it all in but didnt speak. Also
got a good picture and an article in the county newspaper.

Keep em coming!

Tony

Hmm. The thought occurs to me, and I truly mean no offense to anyone,
but,
Would the Amish fly a glider? It doesn't have a motor, after all?

Old May 2nd 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hmm. The thought occurs to me, and I truly mean no offense to anyone,
but,
Would the Amish fly a glider? It doesn't have a motor, after all?

We told the group I met that if they ever made it to ames to come on
out and take a flight with the club. They didnt say that they
wouldn't. They would probably only be willing to use a bungee
launch. maybe a winch run by clydesdales??

And if they do fly a glider, itll be the Cherokee. Go Wood!

Old May 2nd 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hmm. The thought occurs to me, and I truly mean no offense to anyone,
but,
Would the Amish fly a glider? It doesn't have a motor, after all?

We told the group I met that if they ever made it to ames to come on
out and take a flight with the club. They didnt say that they
wouldn't. They would probably only be willing to use a bungee
launch. maybe a winch run by clydesdales??

And if they do fly a glider, itll be the Cherokee. Go Wood!

There is a wonderful flying field called Grimes that is home to the Golden
Air Age Museum ( http://www.goldenageair.org/) a few hours west of
Philadelphia, in the middle of Amish country. They have a few airshows every
year and quite a few Amish people show up to watch. I don't know if any
have ever gone up. A buddy and I often take a Hutter 17 there to demo
vintage gliders. I can't say whether the Amish are more intrigued by the
Hutter, since most everyone always gives it a special look over anyway.

Old May 2nd 07, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Rushton

Two stories from the UK

My first landout was in my Astir, when the lift died
at 6.30 and I ended up in a field 10 miles from home.
Whilst picking the field I noticed a golf club next
to 'my' field and thought no more of it. Meanwhile
on the ground, my 10 year old son was having a golf
lesson (which I'd forgotten about) when his tutor spotted
me scratching away in my death throes at 800 feet and
idly said to my lad 'is that your dad up there'. Well
the tail markings on my old Astir were very distinctive,
and Andrew knew straight away who it was. Put hin
right off his tee shot on the 8th, I'm told. But I
was allowed to go gliding (and take our only car) on
condition that I was back in time to pick Andrew up
from his golf lesson, so there followed a hurried taxi
ride back to the field before I picked Andrew up from
the golf club with a 30 foot trailer on the back of
the car, to a round of applause from the golfers....

Meanwhile, a good friend hit power lines going into
a field a few years ago. His SF27 was left dangling
from the cables, and after he'd been extricated from
the wreckage he was taken to a nearby cafe to recover.
The waitresses in the cafe were, by all accounts,
splendid, but were unable to comply with the request
for a cup of tea. 'Sorry love, the power's gone off'
was the excuse.....

Old May 2nd 07, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernd W. Hennig

G`Day,

I have a small contest every year on WWW.Segelflug.DE called
"Grüne Wiese" (green meadow) - because thats the most liked place
to outland an glider on (with some cows ! on the meadow)

The contest runs every year since 2001:
http://www.segelflug.de/events/wiese...uenewiese.html

and theire are 2 categories:

1.) Most outlandings in one year
2.) Best story

The contest is NOT limited to germany or germans, so please (!)
feel free to send your storys to me and the "Grüne Wiese 2007".

The winner with the "most outlandings" last year was Jörg Weidemann
with 12 outlandings, theire is a nice challange cup:

http://www.segelflug.de/events/wiese...ages/pokal.jpg

(With cows and a soaring plane on the meadow)

The 2007-version "Grüne Wiese 2007" is just starting (means: I
have a lot of work to create the HTML-Pages etc.) and I think it
could be great fun if not only pilots from Germany, Switzerland,
Austria, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and Belgium start in this
"contest".

(And excuse my bad english pse)

Alistair Wright wrote:

Following on from Cherokee's funny thread (which I'm afraid I turned into a
discussion on the Silver badge - sorry chaps!) perhaps people would like to
share their most amusing moments after landing out off the airfield. Here's
a few of mine:

The time I set off on a Silver attempt and made about 10miles before landing
in a very small paddock behind a rather smart house. I had just completed
the essential pee when a very attractive lady in a bikini leaned over the
fence and asked if I would like cup of tea? Turned out to be the wife of a
local boss of a big firm making excavators.

Then there was the time (again on a failed Silver - I think I had six
attempts) when I landed in a very nice freshly cut hay field in North
Yorkshire on a lovely sunny afternnon, once more behind a house. There was a
very alcoholic twenty first birthday party going on in the garden to which I
was invited (I think they thought I was glidergram). I got some of them to
help me derig the glider, climbed over the fence, and by the time my
retrieve crew reached me I was feeling no pain at all.

Or the time a syndicate partner flew our Oly 2b all of two miles to the
local public park. He couldn't find a phone (no mobiles in those days) so he
just caught the local bus back to the club. The bus conductor not
surprisingly refused to go anywhere near this small chap wearing a flying
suit and carrying a parachute and a barograph who had just got on to his
bus! The park keeper was still checking the notice board with the bye laws
to see if 'landing a glider' broke any of his rules when we arrived with the
trailer. Two small boys had been bribed to look after the glider. Something
you couldn't do today I think.

Alistair Wright
Melrose
Scotland

Old May 2nd 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sally W

At 09:42 02 May 2007, Bernd W. Hennig wrote:
G`Day,

I have a small contest every year on WWW.Segelflug.DE
called
'Grüne Wiese' (green meadow) - because thats the most
liked place
to outland an glider on (with some cows ! on the meadow)

The contest runs every year since 2001:
http://www.segelflug.de/events/wiese...uenewiese.html

and theire are 2 categories:

1.) Most outlandings in one year
2.) Best story

How about a 3rd category, the Golden Towbar for the
longest retrieve, to be awarded to the driver (along
with a bottle of something or other). I mean not the
land-out furthest from the airfield, but the longest
distance that has to be driven to the retrieve. Here
in Scotland a land-out not that many miles away can
entail a much, much longer drive!

Old May 2nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

Landouts:

When I was a member of SOSA gliding club in Rockton, Ontario, Canada I
was told the story of one interesting Landout.
About a mile from the end of the runways at SOSA there is one of those
Drive through African Safari type Animal Parks.

Well, I think you know where this is going......

One of the club members landed a 1-26 in this animal park as the final
glide encountered to much sink.
He landed in the pen that had the lions, tigers and other assorted
wild life.
Needless to say he was very nervous while watching some tigers came
over to see what had arrived for dinner.

The big cats came right up to the canopy and were smelling
everything.....I'm sure they could smell his fear as well!

He stayed motionless in the aircraft while the park rangers ushured
the big cats into another pen so he could derig, but once the cats
were out the monkies sat on his 1-26 looking for handouts.....a very
memorable landout for sure!

On another occasion I was at SOSA and the early morning pilots had
emptied the hanger and were preping gliders for the day.
When I came around the other side of the Blanik I was prepping there
was an Emu(Osterich) watching me carefully.....I was startled and was
not sure whether this thing was hostile or not.....another pilot
decided to run to the club house and call the nearby Park rangers to
pick up this escapee, but the moment he started to run the Emu raced
after him and scared the crap out of him.......running as fast as he
could the Emu simply ran parallel to him and seemed to just want to go
for a run with him.......it was hilarious as the rest of us were
yelling for him to run faster and laughing hard....fortunately nobody
was attacked by this huge bird and it all ended well....definately
memorable.

Ray

Old May 2nd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_2_]

One of our newly minted instructors was in the back of the Blanik L13 on one of
those circuit days. concentrating hard on his patter and checking the pupil's
circuit.

He was blissfully unaware that they had flown into the curl over from the local
hill. When he noticed the ground from said hill rising above shoulder level it
was of course a bit late to make the runway. In his haste to take control, turn
base and assess his options he flew straight past the tar runway the power guys
use. So there ensued a hasty landout about 200m short of the threshold of our
runway from the base leg.

This is a never tilled bit of Africa, with large boulders and anthills of over a
metre high. Miraculously not a scratch on the glider. Then came the fun. There
is a little river between the landout area and the runway - so we had to take a
7km road trip through town and shackland township to get the trailer to the
glider. Then a lengthy derig with multiple little kids watching from the local
township.

Of course we did not have the Blanik trailer available, as someone had borrowed
it to move another Blanik, so we had to field modify a Zugfogel III trailer.

One of the longer afternoons - all the while having the other club gliders
landing overhead, to remind us what we should have been doing.

Amusing reading... john smith Piloting 0 March 12th 07 03:21 AM
Amusing: WTF IS GOING ON AT THE FBO? gatt Piloting 5 July 22nd 04 03:23 AM
Long--But Amusing Rosspilot Piloting 3 July 10th 04 09:54 PM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
amusing in so many ways..:-) tango4 Soaring 9 July 31st 03 04:41 PM