First year depreciation

Old October 27th 03, 08:22 PM
Roger Long

Default First year depreciation

Does anyone out there have a good handle on the two year depreciation
(percent) in probable sale price of a new airplane such as a Skyhawk SP?

Even though this is a newsgroup, this time I'd prefer answers based on
actual facts and real knowledge.

--
Roger Long

Old October 27th 03, 08:34 PM
Dashii

20%

Dashii

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old October 27th 03, 08:47 PM
Ron Natalie

"Roger Long" om wrote in message
Does anyone out there have a good handle on the two year depreciation
(percent) in probable sale price of a new airplane such as a Skyhawk SP?

I can't even understand what you are asking. If you want to know what
the depreciation schedule is going to be, you have to give more information
as to what you intend to do with the property.

Old October 27th 03, 09:34 PM
Renee Purner

Have you considered talking to a sales rep. from Cessna? They actually have
a very good presentation available dealing with just your question. Good
Luck.
"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old October 27th 03, 09:34 PM
Roger Long

Yeah, I wasn't very clear. Let me try again.

How much is the new plane smell worth?

Say you buy it, put minimal hours on it and try to sell it in a year or two.
What % of the purchase cost, not including operating expenses, insurance,
tiedown, etc. are you likely to lose.

--
Roger Long
Ron Natalie wrote in message
m...

"Roger Long" om wrote

in message

Old October 27th 03, 10:48 PM
David Megginson

"Roger Long" om writes:

How much is the new plane smell worth?

Take a bit of action:

1. Take a look at what almost-new planes are listed at in
Trade-a-Plane. That will only tell you what the sellers *think*
they are worth, but it's a start.

2. Go to your mechanic and ask him or her to look up a few recent
make/models in the Blue Book for you.

I'd guess that the biggest advantage of buying a new plane is getting
exactly what you want -- paint, avionics, interior, options, etc.
There will be some discount for having to settle for someone else's
choices -- the above sources should give you an idea of what that
discount might be.

Note that used plane prices can rise or fall by 10% or more in a
single year anyway, so you might also have to factor that in. Also,
many states and provinces will charge sales tax on the purchase, which
is money you lose right up front; ditto for ferry charges if you don't
pick up the plane from the factory yourself.

All the best,

David
Old October 27th 03, 11:02 PM
Jay Honeck

I'd guess that the biggest advantage of buying a new plane is getting
exactly what you want -- paint, avionics, interior, options, etc.

How much is crazy worth? You'll pay double (or triple) the cost of an
equally good (or, maybe, not as good) aircraft if you go that route.

Our '74 Pathfinder needed a new engine right off the bat when we bought it
in early '02. Since then we've added new:

- CD Player/Intercom
- Engine Analyzer
- Com Radio
- Overhead plastic
- Leather interior
- Carpet
- Color GPS
- Tires
- Attitude Indicator

Additionally, we've detailed the plane inside and out, and had the
fiberglass tip-tanks redone and repainted. Later this week, the interior
refurbishment will be completed, with the side panels and door
reupholstered. (And it looks like I'll be adding a new DG to the list
soon...)

Total cost? Waaaaay less than half the price of a new Archer -- which is
the closest thing Piper still builds to our 235 horse Pathfinder. And an
Archer is a pale shadow, at best -- our plane will out-perform an Archer (or
an Arrow, for that matter) in every measurable parameter.

AND it smells brand new inside. :-)

To me, anyway, buying new is crazy.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 03, 01:34 AM
Mike Rapoport

Keep in mind that it will depend on what manufacturers do with new planes.
Cessna recently added the Garmin G-1000 to the 206 and reportedly sold out
the years production in one day. The last plane without the new avionics
probably went down 10-20% the moment of the announcement.

Mike
MU-2

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...
[...]

Is there an airshow/open house at McGuire AFB NJ this year?? (2004) PT Ball Military Aviation 2 August 14th 04 07:07 PM
Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
'Airman of Year' now spy suspect Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 26th 03 01:18 AM
It's that time of year again. Capt. Doug Home Built 19 September 3rd 03 10:53 PM