Turn to Final - Keeping Ball Centered

Old March 12th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
skym

Default Turn to Final - Keeping Ball Centered

While making a turn to base and final recently, I was aware that I was
going to be wide with my normal turn from downwind through base to
final, so I banked more to keep as close to the runway centerline as
possible. I kept thinking about the infamous and usually fatal stall/
spin by some pilots in this situation, I kept thinking that if I keep
the ball centered, even with a very steep bank, that I would be ok and
not auger in. Some of you instructors and old pros...is this correct?
(Not that I intend to make it a practice.)
Old March 12th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Are you suggesting you can't stall with a centered ball? Go slow
enough, and in a steep turn the stall will put your stomach in your
throat.

Old March 12th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xxx

No, certainly not.

Stall speed increases dramatically with angle of bank: the more
vertical your wings become, the less horizontal lift they supply for a
given air speed.

You can definitely stall with the ball centered. This is true
regardless of bank angle. If you do stall below TPA (like when turning
base to final) your odds of auguring in are high no matter how neatly
centered your ball was when you initiated the stall.

Old March 12th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

skym wrote:

While making a turn to base and final recently, I was aware that I was
going to be wide with my normal turn from downwind through base to
final, so I banked more to keep as close to the runway centerline as
possible. I kept thinking about the infamous and usually fatal stall/
spin by some pilots in this situation, I kept thinking that if I keep
the ball centered, even with a very steep bank, that I would be ok and
not auger in. Some of you instructors and old pros...is this correct?
(Not that I intend to make it a practice.)

What happens to stall speed as your bank angle increases?

What are two options to preventing a stall (regardless of whether a
spin in entered)?

Ron Lee
Old March 12th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Mar 12, 4:39 pm, (Ron Lee) wrote:

What happens to stall speed as your bank angle increases?

Increases (supposing that you're turning)

What are two options to preventing a stall (regardless of whether a
spin in entered)?

1)Keep your airspeed up
2)ncrease power and keep your airspeed up
Old March 12th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

What are two options to preventing a stall (regardless of whether a
spin in entered)?

1)Keep your airspeed up
2)ncrease power and keep your airspeed up

I would have said get the nose down (increase airspeed)
and go-around (not far from your #2.

Ron Lee

Old March 13th 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Mar 13, 11:22 am, (Ron Lee) wrote:
What are two options to preventing a stall (regardless of whether a
spin in entered)?

1)Keep your airspeed up
2)ncrease power and keep your airspeed up

I would have said get the nose down (increase airspeed)
and go-around (not far from your #2.

And go off with an instructor to 3,500 AGL and rehearse the steep
descending turn manoeuvre until you are happy with your understanding
of the situation..

Old March 12th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
skym wrote:

What happens to stall speed as your bank angle increases?

Nothing. Stall speed changes with G's which are caused by pulling on the
stick - not by bank angle.

What are two options to preventing a stall (regardless of whether a
spin in entered)?

1) Don't pull.
2) Keep the speed up.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 12th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
skym

Thanks for replies. I had meant to address the speed issue since I
knew the stall speed increased with bank. I also kept my speed higher
than normal in the turn because of that. I left it out of the
question, and shouldn't have. Assuming I keep the speed up, is the
centered ball a reliable guide?
Old March 12th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

I don't think anyone has suggested this, but there is a nearly
universal cure if you find yourself uncomfortably out of a reasonable
approach condition -- simply say to yourself this isn't looking good
enough, go around, and do better the next time.

It's my uneducated opinion that too many perfectly good airplanes get
turned to scrap because pilots continue to commit to an action that
has become untenable. You have a hand on the throttle and it's
important to remember to be ready to push it in if you don't like the
way things are shaping up.

Don't let ego get in the way of good judgement.

Implications of.....keeping the speed up [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 48 January 14th 07 11:41 PM
Gamepad, stopping throttle axis from being auto-centered DenisK Simulators 1 December 20th 06 09:16 AM
Keeping a builders log Lou Home Built 24 January 28th 06 10:46 PM
Thanks for ideas on drilling a centered hole! Scott Home Built 12 October 25th 04 02:52 AM
Keeping Me Out of Your Warbird? Stephen Harding Military Aviation 47 February 12th 04 04:34 PM