Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 22nd 05, 06:22 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:cE5ae.8683$NU4.4645@attbi_s22...
Yes, but are you willing to admit that makes YOU a dunderhead? That is,
will you agree with the French who express their disbelief that people so
dunderheaded ever spawned men like Thomas Jefferson and John Adams?

Sadly, I suppose, I must indeed share the blame for having done NOTHING to
fix our incredibly broken legal system.

That's not really what I asked.

Probably the closest to a "yes" I'm going to get, I suppose. Which is, in
and of itself, an answer to my question. And just the one I expected.

Pete

Old April 22nd 05, 08:46 PM
Newps

Martin Hotze wrote:

the good thing is that I drive a car needing about 6 liters per 100
kilometers (the other car is a diesel needing about 4 to 5 liters per 100
kilometers). So I do care driving a fuelefficient car, because it saves me
money.

Somebody run the numbers. What is that in miles per gallon? Just
wanted to compare that to my F250 Diesel.
Old April 22nd 05, 08:48 PM
Newps

- The FAA, from the Federal Airport Improvement Program, will pay 90%
of the costs for airport improvement (runway widening or extension or
resurfacing, taxiways, aprons, and so forth).

The FAA pays 95% now.
Old April 22nd 05, 08:49 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

We live in a city of 65,000, in a metropolitan area of over 120,000.

Ahem...120,000 is not now and never will be a "metro area".
Old April 22nd 05, 09:02 PM
Stefan

Newps wrote:

Somebody run the numbers. What is that in miles per gallon? Just
wanted to compare that to my F250 Diesel.

1 US gallon equals 3.785 liters (approximately)
1 statute mile equals 1.6 kilometers (approximately)

I think I can leave the rest to you as an exercise.

Stefan
Old April 22nd 05, 09:30 PM
George Patterson

Jim wrote:

European countries tend to tax consumption higher, the US doesn't. One reason
avgas is kept expensive is because autogas is very expensive to encourage
public transit and excellent high speed rail service. If avgas would be priced
lower then autogas, there would be an incentive to burn avgas on the road
(which wouldn't do cat converter much good.)

How prevalent is the use of a cat in Europe these days? Ten years ago, nearly
all the gas was still leaded and catalytic converters were nearly unknown. I'm
aware that they've gone to mainly unleaded fuel, but do most European cars now
have the converters as well?

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 22nd 05, 09:38 PM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

I wonder how many others feel the same way.

Not I. My tablesaw and a few of my other tools were made in China. I read one
review that stated they found the table surface on the Chinese brand of saw to
be flatter than any other brand (including Delta).

When the Chinese feel it's important to do so, they produce an excellent quality
product.

Old April 22nd 05, 09:44 PM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

How many years will it be until China's quality comes up, like Japan finally
did?

About -15.

The question is, how long will it take for Americans to aquire enough
information about Chinese manufacturers to make informed decisions about their
products? The Chinese don't seem to have made any effort to brand their products.

Old April 22nd 05, 09:51 PM
Stefan

George Patterson wrote:

How prevalent is the use of a cat in Europe these days?

It's been mandatory for I think more than 10 years now. (Can't tell you
the exact year by heart.) For new cars, that is.

Stefan
Old April 22nd 05, 10:01 PM
Matt Whiting

Dylan Smith wrote:
In article , Chris wrote:

IFR is not a big issue in Europe for the private pilot. So expensive IFR
systems like WAAS and GPS enabled approaches are irrelevant. Its interesting
that the much hailed Cirrus cannot fly IFR in much of European airspace and
in the UK its just a VFR machine.

That's due to assinine regulations put out by our "beloved" CAA. That's
why Cirrus airplanes in Britain are all on the N-register. Indeed, if I
was interested in buying an IFR plane, regardless of what it was (even
if it was a Diamond) I'd have it on the N register to avoid the stupid,
pointless CAA regulations that *decrease* safety, not increase it.

And now you can throw insurance into the mix along with avgas prices:

"$5 MILLION COVERAGE TO FLY A 182 IN EUROPE?
Thinking of flying your N-registered aircraft in Europe? Better make
sure you can afford it. The European Union is imposing new liability
insurance requirements for general aviation aircraft starting April 30.
If you were flying a Cessna 182 with four people on board, you'd need
almost $5 million in insurance coverage--assuming you could find the
coverage and afford it. "It's almost impossible for light aircraft
operators to get more than $1 million in liability insurance from U.S.
underwriters," said Luis Gutierrez, AOPA director of regulatory and
certification policy. AOPA is currently working with several insurance
companies to determine if it is feasible to provide temporary liability
insurance for members desiring to fly to Europe for a one-time trip or
longer-term insurance to cover those on an extended stay. For more
information, see AOPA's regulatory brief."

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 07:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM