Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 23rd 05, 08:20 PM
Chris

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
news

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
news Given that only a small percentage of Chineese are participating in
their
"new" economy, it will be a long time before this happens.
Remember
that
Japan's economy stalled after they became (and remain) the richest
developed
nation on a per capita basis.

Even after their economy puked, what, 2/3rds of it's value?
--
Matt
---------------------

How are you arriving at that?

What was the NIKKEI at it's peak and bottom? It's now at 11,045 and

wasn't
it at around 40,000 at it's peak in 1990?

That is ridculous. Economies are not measured by stock market
valuations.

Oh, and what DO they measure?

The GDP of Japan is larger now than ever before.

Got some NET numbers?

How would you rate the US
economy on that metric?

I'd say it's pretty ****ty, regardless of what the Repubs say.

The Nasdaq is down 61% from its high five years
ago.

Yup and many are STILL paying the price. I know several engineers that are
making 1/4th what they were five years ago.

Seems the only thing that grown is government.

and how do you pay for government by taxes unless you borrow billions and
let the kids pay it off in taxes in the future.

And in some bizarre way we come right back to the point of this thread.
The $7.50 /gal avgas is due to taxes. The $3.50 /gal avgas is due to little
tax.

What do you think the level of tax will be in the future to pay for all the
borrowing going on today to pay for today's government.

I look at the difference as one of timing. Perhaps in 20 years the US will
be paying $30 / gal for AVGAS when the Europeans are paying $15/gal.

Either that or the US will nuke everyone it owes money to to try and cancel
its debt.

Old April 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
Chris

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Morgans wrote:
Good Lord help us all! I suppose they will be made with China steel.

That
is the softest, inconsistent crap have ever seen, let alone all the

other
made in China crap.

Unlikely - Diamond's planes are made of plastic!

I know you are kidding, but I am sure there are some VERY important steel
parts in the "plastic" airplane, too. ;-)
--

5 years time the Cirrus will be made in China

Old April 23rd 05, 08:30 PM
Chris

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

No, there is a fundemental difference. The road tax on gasoline pays for
all the roads

are you claiming that, in the USA, the only source of funds to pay for
roads is
the tax on gas? In MA we have this excise tax which I thought paid for
part
of the road infrastructure.

A tax is a tax, it makes no difference what you call it.

Old April 23rd 05, 08:44 PM
Chris

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:11:04 -0700, Matt Barrow wrote:

the good thing is that I drive a car needing about 6 liters per 100
kilometers (the other car is a diesel needing about 4 to 5 liters per

100
kilometers). So I do care driving a fuelefficient car, because it
saves

me
money.

Somebody run the numbers. What is that in miles per gallon? Just
wanted to compare that to my F250 Diesel.

About 40MPG and 50MPG for the diesel.

btw my numbers reflect only my cars. this fuel consumption does not
reflect
fuel efficient cars. (IIRC this is something like 3 liters per 100
kilometers)

Such a car would likely be "useful"

it is always useful to save gas (and money). what is the difference in
driving 100 miles within a city or "out in the west"?

out in the west where distances are
measured in three or even four digits and those are MILES not klicks.

even in the city and on short distance your consumption is more than
average.
it was always weired to see those huge pickups in the city, only the
driver
and no passengers, the driver only has this car for ... eee .. no idea.
hopefuly for fun. no wonder that carpooling lanes can be used when the car
is occupied by at least _2_ persons.

But Martin is such a good little milch cow!! He'll do as ordered!

I don't get your point.

I am free to buy whatever car I can afford. But I'd be silly to buy more
than I would need.

Agreed Martin, I drive a Mercedes 220 CDI and I am getting on long journeys
on the motorway at 80mph about 50/52 miles per Imperial Gallon.

Generally with all the short stuff, I have averaged over the last year
42mpg.

Its not just a question of the price at the pump but the cost of the mile.
This goes a long way to redress the balance between the cost of petrol and
the taxes. Besides by using at a slower rate, perhaps fuel will be available
longer.

Old April 23rd 05, 08:47 PM
Chris

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
do you really think because of your security improvements (aheeem) since
'then' there has been no further attack by plane?

Yes.

Get a life, Jay, I really am astounded that you believe that.

Old April 23rd 05, 08:51 PM
Chris

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Montblack wrote:
I'm 100% serious, I wonder why this is? Almost no kids over 14 play
soccor
here, unless they're on an organized team.

Probably because soccer is the most overrated sport in existence.

I also observed when I was living in the US, soccer tended to be a
girl's game - as did field hockey (to the extent that I read in a
newspaper a couple of years ago how a boy who wanted to play hockey had
to wear the girl's uniform, including a skirt, to play it...)

Which always seemed strange. Field hockey is a vicious game, I was
forced to play it at school and hated every second of it. The only
violent game I remotely enjoyed was rugby (even though I was crap at
it).

Now you are talking Dylan, rugby a real mans game. In the context of this
thread something the French are good at except that the English are world
champions. He he!

Old April 23rd 05, 08:54 PM
Chris

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dylan Smith" wrote

I also observed when I was living in the US, soccer tended to be a
girl's game -

It is slowly changing.

One problem, at least in NC, is that the boy's soccer season is at the
same
time as football. The most athletic boys go for the glamour of football
(the one with the funny shaped ball that doesn't bounce right), and the
smaller, speedy types go for soccer.
--

Can never understand why they call it football when the last thing they want
to do is kick the ball.

Old April 23rd 05, 09:45 PM
Matt Whiting

Mike Rapoport wrote:

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote in
:

http://www.timbro.com/euvsusa/ (EU vs. USA) by a think tank in
Stockholm, Sweden Read particularly the summary at the bottom and some
of he charts comparing the various EU countries against the US.

Of course, the results of such surveys depend on the political leanings
of the authors. Authors who favour a neoliberal policy will come to
results that portray the US as better, so to encourage Europeans to
mimick American policies. Economics isn't a science, it's ideology to a
large extent.

Very true!

I think economics is relatively science based, but the interpretations
are often ideological. However, that is true with many fields.
Everything from physics to astronomy to geology to archeology.

Matt
Old April 23rd 05, 09:47 PM
Matt Whiting

Mike Rapoport wrote:

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
thlink.net...

[...]

The GDP of Japan is larger now than ever before. How would you rate the US
economy on that metric? The Nasdaq is down 61% from its high five years
ago.

Very true. Stock market valuations measure only the investing
communities optimitism or pessimism about future stock prices. :-)

Matt
Old April 23rd 05, 09:51 PM
Montblack

("Chris" wrote)
You forgot the :-). It was a joke wasn't it?

Does everything need to be spelt out is such detail. Of course it was a
joke :-(

I'll tell you what's NOT funny - go back and look at your posts. Your one
line reply is at the bottom of gobs and gobs of text from previous posts.

Trim please, as it's somewhat inefficient for us readers/lurkers trying to
keep up with these threads otherwise. Thanks :-)

Montblack

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 07:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM