Oudie vs Streak sunlight readability

Old July 6th 11, 02:02 AM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

I ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/GlareStomper-3...13450&sr =8-2

to put on my Oudie and test the next time I fly. Don't know if it will work or not, but it was relatively cheap (at least compared to most stuff construed as "aviation-related"!), easy to install, and will be easy to take off if it doesn't.

AND...it will work on the Garmin I have in the car if all else fails.

If the link doesn't work, just search for "Glare Stomper" on Amazon.

Rob S.
ZAP
Old July 6th 11, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Oudie vs Streak sunlight readability

YMMV but those sorts of covers tend not to work great on the
transflective displays used typical consume PDAs/PNAs (e.g ones
without very bright backlights) which still need the gathered light to
work. I've tried similar hoods on several iPAQ PDAs and PNAs and gave
up.

Darryl

On Jul 5, 6:02*pm, RAS56 wrote:
I ordered one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/65x6hrk

--
RAS56

Old July 6th 11, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Rob,

I look forward to hearing how it works for you.

Note that the Oudie has a 5" screen and the unit in the link is for a 4.3"
screen. But it looks like it simply Velcros around the unit and may work
fine.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"RAS56" wrote in message

I ordered one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/65x6hrk

Old July 6th 11, 08:21 PM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Hi Paul,

Actually, what I ordered was the "316" version of the item, not the "320" which is for the 4.3" screens. The smaller 316's measurements looked to fit better with the setup I have with my nav system.

Since most Oudie's are oriented with the longest side "North-South" and most car GPS's are oriented "East-West", it took a little test-fitting to get it to what looks like it will work best.

The shade comes with a separate piece of velcro tape, which I cut in varying lengths and applied to the Oudie's exterior making sure not to block the indents where the panel mount fits. Installation was a piece of cake and putting the shade on only involves unfolding it and sticking it to the velcro on the Oudie.

So far, standing in the Texas sun here at the house, it appears like it might work...but how/if it works in the cockpit or if it turns out to be just a distraction or block my view while flying will be the test that tells the tale.

Take care,

Rob S.
ZAP
Old July 7th 11, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider12321

On Jul 6, 1:21*pm, RAS56 wrote:
[...]

A business size envelope, bent, and a couple of pieces of scotch tape
works well too.

LCD Display Readability john smith[_2_] Piloting 4 May 29th 07 04:39 PM
Garmin iQue 3600a -- sunlight screen readability? Chuck Instrument Flight Rules 7 March 24th 05 10:00 PM
Garmin iQue 3600a -- sunlight screen readability? Chuck Piloting 17 March 24th 05 10:00 PM
Poor readability Kees Mies Owning 2 August 14th 04 04:22 AM
Streak Shadow david H Home Built 0 December 26th 03 10:22 PM