Do you use your magnetic compass?

Old May 18th 04, 11:46 AM
Stealth Pilot

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:05:30 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

I'm so disappointed... You actually use a GPS in a Cub...

I wouldn;t leave home without it!

The big problem was where to mount it, given that the Cub is soloed
from the back seat. For the solution (actually, two solutions) see
www.pipercubforum.com/garmin.htm

where to mount it actually has some worthwhile considerations.

most are up in the windscreen slung from the roof, these typically
need the rubber diaphragms replaced every year since they perish in
the uv and start to leak.
the old pilot who built my aircraft put it at the base of the panel.
its bobbing around isnt distracting down there out of the field of
view and being at the bottom of the panel keeps it cool enough that
the diaphragms last over 5 years.

never realised the significance until an instrument overhauler pointed
out what it achieved.
Stealth Pilot
Old May 18th 04, 03:14 PM
Dean Wilkinson

C.J. Campbell wrote:
You do know that the thing is filled with kerosene, don't you?

Yes, of course. Its still a good joke...

Dean
Old May 18th 04, 06:31 PM
Robert M. Gary

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

How are you going to fly an ATC heading without a good compass?

It's been my experience that ATC provides a heading for you to fly and keeps an eye
on you for a while to make sure that you are flying the course they actually want. If
your compass is off by, say, 10 degrees, they will give you a corrected heading to
fly.

You can't be suggesting that this is the best way to do it on a
regular basis. Do you want ATC to have to keep giving up updated
headings everytime they try to vector you for an ILS because you don't
have a good compass?
Old May 19th 04, 02:51 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

You can't be suggesting that this is the best way to do it on a
regular basis. Do you want ATC to have to keep giving up updated
headings everytime they try to vector you for an ILS because you don't
have a good compass?

I don't want ATC to be giving me headings to vector me to the ILS at all.

George Patterson
I childproofed my house, but they *still* get in.

Old May 19th 04, 05:42 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

You can't be suggesting that this is the best way to do it on a
regular basis. Do you want ATC to have to keep giving up updated
headings everytime they try to vector you for an ILS because you don't
have a good compass?

I don't want ATC to be giving me headings to vector me to the ILS at all.

Why not?

Its much easier to fly an ILS with one intercept heading. If the
controller has to keep updating your heading because you don't have a
good compass, he's not going to be first in line to buy you drinks
when you get on the ground. Its just seems like needlessly rubbing
sand paper on controllers.

-Robert
Old May 21st 04, 02:47 AM
Jeff

while in class B airspace you need a working compass / DG , otherwise what are
you going to do when told to make all those turns.

Nathan Young wrote:

VFR I don't see the big deal about having a working compass and stable
DG. Most of us have a GPS these days, and in the Midwest we can
navigate by the 'grid' road system.

Old May 21st 04, 05:33 PM
Nathan Young

You would have to be allowed into Bravo airspace for that to matter.
In 8 years of flying VFR and IFR in the Chicago area, I've been inside
the Bravo probably less than 5 times, and those were at odd hours.

-Nathan

Old May 23rd 04, 02:03 AM
Big John

C.J.

Didn't used to be. Why do you think they call them a "Whiskey
Compass"?

Big John

On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:10:22 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"Dean Wilkinson" wrote in message
om...
Jay,

The real use of the "whiskey compass" is for when all else has failed
and you are going in. Rip that sucker off, crack it open, and chug
your last shot...

You do know that the thing is filled with kerosene, don't you?

Vertical Card Compass Mystery Rosspilot Owning 3 November 3rd 04 06:01 PM
help - whiskey compass has gone wild Jim Owning 5 July 12th 04 03:33 AM
How can a compass suddenly go out by 20 degrees? Bob Chilcoat Owning 25 February 21st 04 10:58 PM
Strange compass behavior me Owning 10 February 14th 04 04:24 AM
Compass turning error Marty Ross Piloting 3 August 21st 03 02:53 PM