iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5 inch)

Old September 16th 14, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5inch)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 08:01:59 -0700, Sean Fidler wrote:

I wonder if XC Soar has taken advantage of
the barometric pressure sensors in the Android phones?

I would be surprised if it hasn't.

At the start of this season I switched PNAs and moved LK8000 (originally
an XCSoar clone) onto a new Medion S3747, which has a trans-reflective
screen and a pressure sensor. As soon as I configured LK8000 to use the
pressure sensor it 'just used it' and has continued to do so ever since.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 17th 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I have a problem getting reliable altitude with the Oudie for some reason. It seems to drift up or down compared to mechanical altimeter and the SN10. The SN10 is fairly spot on so I trust it more than the Oudie. I need to do so e research on this problem for sure.
Old September 17th 14, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:39:48 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
I have a problem getting reliable altitude with the Oudie for some reason.. It seems to drift up or down compared to mechanical altimeter and the SN10. The SN10 is fairly spot on so I trust it more than the Oudie. I need to do so e research on this problem for sure.

Sean,

Don't you have a V7? It can output directly to an Oudie with Baro data.

The XCSoar program is able to use the Android Baro data in all of the one's I've tried. I used to have a Samsung Note II that was great for XCS and had a Baro sensor. Seemed to match the in-aircraft altimeter pretty well.

Mike
Old September 17th 14, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:01:59 PM UTC+1, Sean Fidler wrote:
The new barometric pressure sensor is probably very, very smart (perhaps better than what we have in existing loggers?)

Not really 'better', since cost and size has priority in this application, but the accuracy should certainly be good enough for logging purposes. Minimum pressure is 300hpa (~30,000ft).

http://www.bosch-sensortec.com/en_GB.../bmp280/bmp280

The reported sensor in the iPhone 6 is the BMP282. The performance is unlikely to be different from the above sensor.

I wonder if XC Soar has taken advantage of the barometric pressure sensors in the Android phones?

Yes, if the device has a pressure sensor the pressure altitude will be recorded in the IGC file. There's also an audio variometer function (uncompensated), which is reportedly very good with recent Samsung phones.
Old September 17th 14, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks. I had a V7 in my Lak17a, but that has been sold and now I have an ASG29 with an SN10. Considering options......
Old September 18th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:01:59 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:

So, what am I missing? Have I set myself up for a ClearNav feature review :-)? Does the CN or perhaps the LX9000 handle MATs better?

CN plots a blue ellipse on the map that becomes visible during the later stages of a MAT. What the ellipse means is this: if you fly to any turnpoint inside the ellipse, then to the finish, you will be early. The ellipse updates continuously and accounts for wind, altitude, predicted thermal climb rate.

Evan Ludeman for CNi

Old September 18th 14, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:12:00 PM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
Thanks. I had a V7 in my Lak17a, but that has been sold and now I have an ASG29 with an SN10. Considering options......

I assume you have a PFlarm core? One cable hooks up the PF, SN10, and Oudie - you get flarm warnings on your SN10 and Oudie, and air data (vario, winds, altitude) from the SN10 to the Oudie. And the PFlarm GPS drives the SN10 and Oudie.

Works beautifully, totally plug and play. Cable from Cumulus.

Kirk
Old September 18th 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Evan and Kirk!
Old September 18th 14, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:15:15 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Hmmm. What instruments/computers do not support US rules? What exactly is not supported?

iGlide has been great for me with US tasks (if that's what you mean). Statute miles, feet for start and finish heights, etc. Turn areas of up to 30 mile radius (check ;-)), etc.

Sean,

Were you able to integrate the vario data from your V7 with the iGlide app using Air Connect? I know it will integrate with FLARM. If iGlide doesn't integrate with a vario is it still able to accurately estimate wind since it doesn't have airspeed input?

Thanks,
Craig
Old September 22nd 14, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 12:26:10 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
Just wondering what the timing of the next version of iGlide which will hopefully take advantage of the new iPhone 6 form factor.

I have been using iGlide more and more and really enjoy flying with it. Its UI is BY FAR the easiest.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

7T

I up graded my iPad 3 to IOS8 yesterday I just have Iglide lite, lost my airspace and any maps I've downloaded but not my way-point files but I can't see them either. As of this morning I still can't down load them.