A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XC Soar screen setup advice

Old September 23rd 14, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 9V
external usenet poster

Default XC Soar screen setup advice

Hello All,

I am looking for advice on the best setup in terms of info boxes to use for xc soar. All input is appreciated. What works best for you? What information is truly important? I am not racing, just posting to olc. Still, I want to fly as fast as possible and as far as possible. The way I'm set up now, as soon as I have enough altitude to get to my next waypoint, I'm in final glide mode, so I have cruise and final glide set up the same. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your feedback!

9V
Old September 23rd 14, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

Blake,

I help a number of my club-mates to set up the XCSoar on their tablets/phones. The default setup using 8 boxes and the "auto" function that changes the boxes based on the flight category: climb, glide, final glide, etc.

My advice is a little different: Set up two or three "Map" pages and do not select the "Auto" boxes, but use the "Climb" "Glide" and "Final" boxes on individual pages. You can "swipe" between them in-flight and see their individual values.

My initial problem was the transition from one "auto" info boxes to another was not quite clear and so by separating them I can learn what they mean. You can also change the boxes in-flight to see the differences (away from the gaggle, please).

Probably the number of boxes, for the first attempts should be limited to 8 as that seems pretty easy to work and not too much information at the start.

I have found that the longer I use the program, the less information I want to see! I think that may be due to gaining confidence in the program and getting a feel for what I personally need to know.

Tobias' TE version may be a good place to start if you really want a good starting setup that will not overwhelm you.

These programs are not systems that you can learn in a few minutes and it will/may/probably take many flights to begin to feel competent.

I have used Condor with several different connections to learn the program (Serial/USB, Bluetooth, WIreless, all described in the XCSoar forums). I think it's a good way to gain the experience, but you have to think "reality" on Condor to get the value. Don't just "fly around a few minutes but really ste a task or practice an OCL type flight.

Good luck, have fun!

Mike
Old September 24th 14, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Blake Seese 9V
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 22, 2014 10:40:34 PM UTC-6, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Blake,

I help a number of my club-mates to set up the XCSoar on their tablets/phones. The default setup using 8 boxes and the "auto" function that changes the boxes based on the flight category: climb, glide, final glide, etc.

My advice is a little different: Set up two or three "Map" pages and do not select the "Auto" boxes, but use the "Climb" "Glide" and "Final" boxes on individual pages. You can "swipe" between them in-flight and see their individual values.

My initial problem was the transition from one "auto" info boxes to another was not quite clear and so by separating them I can learn what they mean.. You can also change the boxes in-flight to see the differences (away from the gaggle, please).

Probably the number of boxes, for the first attempts should be limited to 8 as that seems pretty easy to work and not too much information at the start.

I have found that the longer I use the program, the less information I want to see! I think that may be due to gaining confidence in the program and getting a feel for what I personally need to know.

Tobias' TE version may be a good place to start if you really want a good starting setup that will not overwhelm you.

These programs are not systems that you can learn in a few minutes and it will/may/probably take many flights to begin to feel competent.

I have used Condor with several different connections to learn the program (Serial/USB, Bluetooth, WIreless, all described in the XCSoar forums). I think it's a good way to gain the experience, but you have to think "reality" on Condor to get the value. Don't just "fly around a few minutes but really ste a task or practice an OCL type flight.

Good luck, have fun!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

I should have outlined my experience with this flight computer and others. I started with soarpilot and liked it a lot. It was pretty intuitive and very useful. I won the ASA B class using it. The problem was reliability. I used xcsoar for a while on a HP PDA and then bought an Oudie. I tried running xcsoar on the Oudie, but it didn't run well so I bought seeyou. Once I learned seeyou, I found it to be ok, I like the graphical interface of xcsoar better. Plus, I don't think seeyou is as reliable. Like you, I find I want less rather than more. I am currently setting up a Dell Streak with xcsoar.. The info boxes I have chosen are from left to right (first row) Next waypoint distance. This gives me name and distance. Next is required glide ratio, then current average glide ratio (last 90 sec.) then required altitude. On the bottom row I start with speed (ground) then altitude then OLC distance then duration of flight. I also have the auto switch function disabled. I should say the screen I describe is for cruise. My climb screen is a little different. I would set it up differently if I were competing in a contest. xcsoar gives lots of info on the moving map, so minimal infoboxes are required. I am just trying to get a sense of what other pilots are doing. Thanks for the reply.
9V