Boeing 737 fusalage on a rail car

Old April 9th 07, 07:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Terry M[_3_]

Default Boeing 737 fusalage on a rail car

This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the picture
to more fit this group.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boeing 737 fusalage on rail car Aurora_NE - Glen Beans.jpg
Views:	1457
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	9025
Old April 9th 07, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Luke

"Terry M" wrote in message
m...
This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
picture to more fit this group.

I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new 737
fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....

Luke

Old April 9th 07, 10:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
redc1c4

Luke wrote:

"Terry M" wrote in message
m...
This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
picture to more fit this group.

I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new 737
fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....

Luke

final assembly somewhere else?

redc1c4,
just guessing, but it looks like the car is designed for it %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old April 9th 07, 11:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scenic

redc1c4 wrote:

Luke wrote:

"Terry M" wrote in message
m...
This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE_b. I took the liberty of renaming the
picture to more fit this group.

I'd be real interested in hearing the story behind why a spankin new
737
fuselage is on a rail car in Nebraska....

Luke

final assembly somewhere else?

Yes, in Seattle. It is made in Kansas and is shipped to Seattle on these
specially made, long, rail cars, for mating with other parts of the
aeroplane which arrive from other distant places.

Old April 9th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Greg Shoemaker

They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly There is
also specialized rail cars for wing assemblies that are usually in the
train. Also see http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...23/p010623.htm
and http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...3/p010713a.htm and
http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...14/p000514.htm for more.

Greg

"redc1c4" wrote in message
Luke wrote:

m...

Old April 9th 07, 11:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scenic

Greg Shoemaker wrote:

They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly

Not Everett, but Renton, where the narrow body single aisle aeroplanes are
assembled. Everett is wide-body stuff.

Old April 10th 07, 12:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Terry M[_3_]

Every once in awhile, someone will post a couple of pictures from Washington
with rail cars of Boeing materials. I just never thought of reposting any
until now.

m...

Old April 10th 07, 01:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Luke

"Scenic" wrote in message
Greg Shoemaker wrote:

They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly

Not Everett, but Renton, where the narrow body single aisle aeroplanes are
assembled. Everett is wide-body stuff.
There is
also specialized rail cars for wing assemblies that are usually in the
train. Also see http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...23/p010623.htm
and http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...3/p010713a.htm and
http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...14/p000514.htm for more.

Despite working for Boeing for several years at the Everett plant, I was
unaware that the 737 fuselages were assembled in Wichita and shipped whole
to Renton. I had been under the belief that only completed 41 sections came
from Wichita (41 section is the cockpit area). wtf... you learn something
new every day....

Luke

Old April 10th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
fannum

"Terry M" wrote in message
om...
This picture was posted by Glen Beans in a.b.p.rail as BNSF car
800117_2007-04-08_Aurora, NE

I'm in KC, and these fuselages are in our yards all the time. They
come from Spirit in Wichita, old Boeing plant. Renton builds wings and
assembles them. Paint shop is also there.

At times in the past, you'd see bunches of these green 737s lined up
on Boeing field in Seattle, obviously with engines and all assembled.
Still haven't got an answer why since that's their smallest field.

Big question is why the railroad moves them NE from Wichita, then
north to Omaha, before going across Nebraska and west to Seattle.
Maybe we ought to by the train guys a compass!

Cheers, Bob
Old April 10th 07, 07:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Meaner than you

well they were put together in seattle, ten they moved it to renton, never
has been put together in Everett....
"Greg Shoemaker" wrote in message
They are Shipped from Wichata KS to Everett WA for final assembly There is
also specialized rail cars for wing assemblies that are usually in the
train. Also see http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...23/p010623.htm
and http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...3/p010713a.htm and
http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictal...14/p000514.htm for more.

Greg