A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Opening for May Winch Class at Eagle Field

Old April 12th 18, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Opening for May Winch Class at Eagle Field

There is one slot open May 5,6 for someone looking for a combination winch launch sign off and introduction to off field landing course here in central Pa.

The class size has been reduced by one (to three) to allow more flexibility in dodging adverse weather (severe winds, precip, low clouds). The primary date is May 5 with a fall back to May 6 (Sunday).

While most US pilots may never make another winch launch, the stick and rudder skills, demand for concentration, unusual attitude exposure and mental charge will benefit anyone wishing to expand their flying skill.

Also, like it or not, we glider drivers fly with the odd chance of landing in a field not of our choosing. And these fields are usually more challenging and hazardous than the home drome. Patterns and landing at Eagle Field have many of the demands of these "rural visitations" one might encounter, such as rising and falling terrain, sloped (right/left) terrain, approach end trees, and short landing distance.

Ten or so patterns and landings with these demands might pay off in a future outlanding.

Karl Striedieck contact: karls at uplink.net
Old April 13th 18, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Happy Birthday Karl!
A group of us did this 3 years ago and it was an awesome experience. I'd go again but we are busy having fun with our own winch!

Doug Tarmichael
Old April 16th 18, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Can't say enough about the training we received from Karl and his winch crew at Eagle Field. Launches with a crosswind, soft release technique, emergency procedures, rope splicing, off field landing instruction. Sure did make a better pilot out of me. Highly recommended.

Don (weak link) Grillo

Old April 19th 18, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I was a much better pilot after doing a winch rating, did much better modfied circuits.
Old April 19th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Karl's winch clinic is an extraordinary training opportunity and terrific fun.

The effectiveness of the 'simulated landout training' cannot be overstated. Doing 12 challenging landings in 24 hours is a huge boost to proficiency.
Old April 24th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I will be there.....not sure if I'm slotted already or if I got the last slot.

Jeff Banks