Reaming needed on aft wing attach point.

Old November 7th 03, 02:30 AM
Boelkowj

Default Reaming needed on aft wing attach point.

I suspect your reply will inquire what airplane are you refering to. (Boelkow
Jr 208).. It is certified but I still think of it as sort of a homebuilt. Any
way it seems the aft attach point fitting is worn a bit so that I get a little
aft/forward wiggle at the wing tip. I've been told by my German contacts that
the aft hole needs to be reamed out to the next size "step down bolt" It is a
tongue/sandwich affair with no bushings. The "sandwich" is aluminium and the
tongue (steal) is riffeted to the wing. This seems to be a pretty standard
procedure but your suggestions would be appreciated. Is this an easy project
with some local help. Can I ream all 3 surfaces as one piece or is it better to
do the sandwich separate from the tongue (much more work to take the wing off)
? It a spiral reamer better than straight.? Show I do it by hand or use a
variable drill? I may need to use an extension rod particularly if I try to
ream all surfaces in a fixed position next to the fuselage. Finally does this
sound like too technical a problem so that I should let someone else do it as I
have never handled an reamer before but have plenty of homebuilders in the area
who could help me. In other words is this a job for a "professional reamer" if
one exists. Unfortunatey this job can not be done detached from the plane on a
drill press. Thanks for your thoughts. (P.S. Ream will probably be from 8.0 mm
to 8.1 mm approx a 1 inch step down bolt.)

Larry