Germany Lost the War... So What?

Old February 18th 04, 05:46 PM
robert arndt

Default Germany Lost the War... So What?

The US postwar history:

Korea: stalemate
Cuban Missile Crisis: stalemate
Vietnam: LOST
Operation Eagle Claw (Iranian Hostage Rescue): Failure
Lebanon: Marines blown up- failure
Reagan-Bush years: a string of success shooting down a few Libyan MiGs
and attacking small puny nations with no AF- Victory?
Gulf War I: had to raise a coalition to fight another Third World
nation, didn't finish the job which leads to Gulf War II. Kurds and
population suffer as a result.
The Balkans: another attack on an unworthy adversary. Serbs leave with
their armor and military/police units intact. International force
needed.
Terrorist attack on the USS Cole: failed
9/11: could prevent terrorist attack, 3000 fatalities
Afghanistan: attack on another unworthy adversary. Taliban and Osama
escape into Pakistan. International force needed again. Failure.
Iraq prewar: Fires at US aircraft for 7 years, US retaliates in 1998,
Iraq resumes firing at US aircraft for 4 more years
Gulf War II: US goes it alone, captures Saddam but cannot get real
reconstruction support or troops needed to finish the job due to
isolating UN and certain European nations- failure

Wow, how underwhelming it all is. We seem to be able to pound into
submission any puny Third World nation without a significant AF. But
we don't dare strike Iran, N Korea, or China. In fact China openly
threatens the US over Taiwan and is militarily developing systems to
defeat our stealth, satellites, and to attack the US with missiles in
the future. Iran has threatened the US over its nuclear reactor and N
Korea has done the same over its nuclear program which we failed to
stop. BTW, try attacking the FSU even at its weakest... they have
twice the nukes we have and we all know the history of those that
invade Mother Russia. On their turf the US would lose, same in China.
So I don't care how many time you say Germany lost. Germany is the
size of 1 US state and took on the world. It took everyone with
everything to beat them.
The US in Vietnam was a Superpower giant with the greatest technology
on earth... and lost to peasants walking through the jungle at night
in pajamas armed with an AK-47, machetes, mines, grenades and RPGs.
The US may be the lone Superpower on paper but our track record
post-WW2 isn't that great.

Rob
Old February 18th 04, 07:29 PM
Krztalizer

Nazi German post war history:

crickets
Old February 18th 04, 07:59 PM
Keith Willshaw

"robert arndt" wrote in message
m...
The US postwar history:

Facts arent your strong point are they ?

Korea: stalemate

South Korea was saved from the invading forces of the DPRK
and now a prosperous democracy and ally. Meanwhile the
DPRK moulders in a prison of its own making.

Cuban Missile Crisis: stalemate

Nope, the Soviet missiles were withdrawn as the US demanded.

Vietnam: LOST
Operation Eagle Claw (Iranian Hostage Rescue): Failure
Lebanon: Marines blown up- failure

True enough

Reagan-Bush years: a string of success shooting down a few Libyan MiGs
and attacking small puny nations with no AF- Victory?

Then there's the little matter of the fall of communism, the
dissolution of the Warsaw Pact and the collapse of the USSR

Gulf War I: had to raise a coalition to fight another Third World
nation, didn't finish the job which leads to Gulf War II. Kurds and
population suffer as a result.

The war aims of expelling Iraq from Kuwait were achieved

The Balkans: another attack on an unworthy adversary. Serbs leave with
their armor and military/police units intact. International force
needed.

The war aims of protecting the Kosovans from Serbian ethnic cleansing
were achieved

Terrorist attack on the USS Cole: failed

Quite so, the ship was repaired and re-entered service

9/11: could prevent terrorist attack, 3000 fatalities
Afghanistan: attack on another unworthy adversary. Taliban and Osama
escape into Pakistan. International force needed again. Failure.

Success , Afghanistan is no longer a safe haven for terrorist groups

Iraq prewar: Fires at US aircraft for 7 years, US retaliates in 1998,
Iraq resumes firing at US aircraft for 4 more years
Gulf War II: US goes it alone, captures Saddam but cannot get real
reconstruction support or troops needed to finish the job due to
isolating UN and certain European nations- failure

The British troops who took Southern Iraq and Basra tend to disagree
about the going it alone bit.

Wow, how underwhelming it all is. We seem to be able to pound into
submission any puny Third World nation without a significant AF.

Iraq started GW1 with the 4th largest army in the world and
a large AF and air defence system, of course when it was over ....

But
we don't dare strike Iran, N Korea, or China. In fact China openly
threatens the US over Taiwan and is militarily developing systems to
defeat our stealth, satellites, and to attack the US with missiles in
the future. Iran has threatened the US over its nuclear reactor and N
Korea has done the same over its nuclear program which we failed to
stop. BTW, try attacking the FSU even at its weakest... they have
twice the nukes we have and we all know the history of those that
invade Mother Russia. On their turf the US would lose, same in China.

The difference of course is the US knows that, your hero Adolf didnt.

So I don't care how many time you say Germany lost. Germany is the
size of 1 US state and took on the world. It took everyone with
everything to beat them.

Germany had a larger population than any 10 states combined
and controlled the combined industries of western europe
and couldnt even beat Britain.

Keith

Old February 18th 04, 08:20 PM
B2431

From: (robert arndt)

[...]

I'll let other people point out your many errors in that list. Even if
everything you said were true how does it change the fact that you lost WW2?
Other than the Nazi party you had everything going for you. Yet you started a
war you had no hope of winning.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 18th 04, 08:32 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Krztalizer wrote:
Nazi German post war history:

crickets

Add: Occasional war criminals dancing the hemp fandango to general
approval.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old February 18th 04, 10:00 PM
Simon Robbins

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
Nope, the Soviet missiles were withdrawn as the US demanded.

I don't wish to appear to join the loony "good old days of the Reich" side
of this discussion, but the Cuban missile crisis was such a clear-cut US
victory, since Kennedy negotiated the removal of the Russian missiles by
offering to remove his own from Turkey.

Si

Old February 18th 04, 11:14 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Simon Robbins" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message
Nope, the Soviet missiles were withdrawn as the US demanded.

I don't wish to appear to join the loony "good old days of the Reich" side
of this discussion, but the Cuban missile crisis was such a clear-cut US
victory, since Kennedy negotiated the removal of the Russian missiles by
offering to remove his own from Turkey.

Sure but they were early liquid fueled IRBM's (Jupiter IRC) that were
removed
from service worldwide by 1963 in any event.

Keith

Old February 18th 04, 11:56 PM
Tuollaf43

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"robert arndt" wrote in message
m...
The US postwar history:

Facts arent your strong point are they ?

Korea: stalemate

South Korea was saved from the invading forces of the DPRK
and now a prosperous democracy and ally. Meanwhile the
DPRK moulders in a prison of its own making.

Cuban Missile Crisis: stalemate

Nope, the Soviet missiles were withdrawn as the US demanded.

And the Jupiters from Turkey as Russia demanded, along with assurances
that US would not invade Cuba. Stalemate.

[...]

It was a very sucessful attack. 56 casualties, a cool quarter billion
in repairs, ship out of the service for more than an year.

9/11: could prevent terrorist attack, 3000 fatalities
Afghanistan: attack on another unworthy adversary. Taliban and Osama
escape into Pakistan. International force needed again. Failure.

Success , Afghanistan is no longer a safe haven for terrorist groups

Terrorists out, drug lords in. And I suppose all those reports of
Taliban resurgence in the Pashtun areas are all propaganda.

[...]

LOL! Tell us more.

and controlled the combined industries of western europe
and couldnt even beat Britain.

Before the War Germany was a major (but not predominant) power in
Europe. Today it still is a major (but not predominant) power in
Europe. Before the war Britain was a major world power with a globe
spanning empire - today it is a mere lackey to the US. Germany might
not have won, but Britain sure seems to have lost.

Keith

Old February 19th 04, 12:32 AM
robert arndt

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"robert arndt" wrote in message
m...
The US postwar history:

Facts arent your strong point are they ?

Korea: stalemate

South Korea was saved from the invading forces of the DPRK
and now a prosperous democracy and ally. Meanwhile the
DPRK moulders in a prison of its own making.

We're talking war and power here. The Chinese human waves forced us
back until we eventually reached the starting point- the 38th
parallel. MacArthur could have defeated them in 1950 if he was allowed
to bomb the Yalu River bridges but was overruled by Washington. Later,
he was sacked. Big mistake.

Cuban Missile Crisis: stalemate

Nope, the Soviet missiles were withdrawn as the US demanded.

Remember the failed "Bay of Pigs" and Washington's agreement with
Moscow to remove US missiles out of Turkey months later?

Vietnam: LOST
Operation Eagle Claw (Iranian Hostage Rescue): Failure
Lebanon: Marines blown up- failure

True enough

Reagan-Bush years: a string of success shooting down a few Libyan MiGs
and attacking small puny nations with no AF- Victory?

Then there's the little matter of the fall of communism, the
dissolution of the Warsaw Pact and the collapse of the USSR

Which is more due to Soviet citizens standing in line for bread 8 hrs
a day and the forever unattainable 5 year plans they made... not to
mention devoting almost all their resources to defense and the
corruption of the Communist Party elite. Then there was also the KGB
terror and its informer network. The fall was inevitable and without
the USSR the Warsaw Pact was nothing.

Gulf War I: had to raise a coalition to fight another Third World
nation, didn't finish the job which leads to Gulf War II. Kurds and
population suffer as a result.

The war aims of expelling Iraq from Kuwait were achieved

After the nation was brutally raped, robbed, murdered, and
ecologically polluted. Saddam, meanwhile, was untouched and building
more palaces...

The Balkans: another attack on an unworthy adversary. Serbs leave with
their armor and military/police units intact. International force
needed.

The war aims of protecting the Kosovans from Serbian ethnic cleansing
were achieved

Oh please, too little too late. Serb soldiers insulted International
forces as they left Kosovo and threatened ethnic minorities right in
front the peacekeepers.

Terrorist attack on the USS Cole: failed

Quite so, the ship was repaired and re-entered service

A US Naval warship which should have been adequately protected. Taken
out by a raft of explosives.

9/11: could prevent terrorist attack, 3000 fatalities

Biggest disaster of them off and no comment? US the invincible brought
to agony by a few jet liners of terrorists?

Afghanistan: attack on another unworthy adversary. Taliban and Osama
escape into Pakistan. International force needed again. Failure.

Success , Afghanistan is no longer a safe haven for terrorist groups

Are you insane? Try going there and leaving Kabul. The rest of the
nation is in the hands of warlords who shelter terrorists and hate the
US. My buddy is over there right now. He says its the same dirt
******** as ever.

Iraq prewar: Fires at US aircraft for 7 years, US retaliates in 1998,
Iraq resumes firing at US aircraft for 4 more years
Gulf War II: US goes it alone, captures Saddam but cannot get real
reconstruction support or troops needed to finish the job due to
isolating UN and certain European nations- failure

The British troops who took Southern Iraq and Basra tend to disagree
about the going it alone bit.

Oh thank God for British token forces whose own weapons and gear are
****. I assume you're British, so don't you read your own papers for
God-save-the-Queen sakes!!! All you guys did was sit in the rear and
deliver humanitarian aid while the US drove downtown to Baghdad.

Wow, how underwhelming it all is. We seem to be able to pound into
submission any puny Third World nation without a significant AF.

Iraq started GW1 with the 4th largest army in the world and
a large AF and air defence system, of course when it was over ....

4th largest army stat doesn't mean ****. They were pathetic fighting
soldiers. The Hitler Youth could have taken them out!!!

But
we don't dare strike Iran, N Korea, or China. In fact China openly
threatens the US over Taiwan and is militarily developing systems to
defeat our stealth, satellites, and to attack the US with missiles in
the future. Iran has threatened the US over its nuclear reactor and N
Korea has done the same over its nuclear program which we failed to
stop. BTW, try attacking the FSU even at its weakest... they have
twice the nukes we have and we all know the history of those that
invade Mother Russia. On their turf the US would lose, same in China.

The difference of course is the US knows that, your hero Adolf didnt.

On Russia maybe, but fighting with China in the future is inevitable.

So I don't care how many time you say Germany lost. Germany is the
size of 1 US state and took on the world. It took everyone with
everything to beat them.

Germany had a larger population than any 10 states combined
and controlled the combined industries of western europe
and couldnt even beat Britain.

I could only wish that the political decision to change direction
eastward would have never come and Sea Lion would have happened. What
would have Britain defended itself with then- the Home Guard with
pitch forks and shotguns? You should thank God a lone German bomber
ditched its bombs on London and saved your nation. Germany could have
kept fighting and by the winter of 1940 you would have ran out of
pilots and planes- had the Germans not diverted to civilian targets
like London.

Keith

Keep dreaming on,
Rob
Old February 19th 04, 01:12 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Tuollaf43" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"robert arndt" wrote in message
m...
The US postwar history:

Facts arent your strong point are they ?

Korea: stalemate

South Korea was saved from the invading forces of the DPRK
and now a prosperous democracy and ally. Meanwhile the
DPRK moulders in a prison of its own making.

Cuban Missile Crisis: stalemate

Nope, the Soviet missiles were withdrawn as the US demanded.

And the Jupiters from Turkey as Russia demanded, along with assurances
that US would not invade Cuba. Stalemate.

Older missiles already planned for removal--we had a new program coming
online about that time which you may have heard of...Polaris? We also
removed the Thors from the UK at about the same time, and for the same
reasons--they were liquid fueled and had been made superfluous.

snip

Afghanistan: attack on another unworthy adversary. Taliban and Osama
escape into Pakistan. International force needed again. Failure.

Success , Afghanistan is no longer a safe haven for terrorist groups

Terrorists out, drug lords in. And I suppose all those reports of
Taliban resurgence in the Pashtun areas are all propaganda.

Uhmmm... the key at this point is,as Keith pointed out, it is no longer
serving as an open bazaar and training ground for terrorists--and that a few
other nations took note and became a bit less receptive of other terrorist
operations.

snip

Germany had a larger population than any 10 states combined

LOL! Tell us more.

Uhmmm...the total population of Germany in 1940 was some 80 million, the US
population was about 130 million, with the top four states (NY, PA, TX, CA)
only accounting for some 34 million--so you can run the numbers further if
you like, but it appears Keith's statement is in fact correct.

www.ciaonet.org/book/schweller/appendix.html

and controlled the combined industries of western europe
and couldnt even beat Britain.

Before the War Germany was a major (but not predominant) power in
Europe. Today it still is a major (but not predominant) power in
Europe.

Thank goodness for the Marshall Plan, huh?

Before the war Britain was a major world power with a globe
spanning empire - today it is a mere lackey to the US.

That's not correct. The UK remains an independent nation; that it has
happened to agree with the US in more cases than it disagrees is as much a
product of common values than anything else. Reading anything further into
it merely indicates a degree of paranoia on your part.

Germany might
not have won,

No, there is no doubt--she did not win. Thank goodness for that, huh?

but Britain sure seems to have lost.

Lost what? Are you sure you are not confusing the UK with *France*? Now
France *did* lose, just like Germany eventually lost...sorry if that all
upsets you, but them's the facts.

Brooks

Keith