Rutan hits 200k feet! Almost there!

Old May 14th 04, 07:53 PM
Teacherjh

So what is the significance of it being redone relatively cheaply by garage
level tinkerers and builders?

It becomes available.

What is the significance of spam cans costing seventeen thousand dollars an
hour?

Jose

Old May 14th 04, 07:54 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

No, we didn't.

Okay, you didn't know they had been done, but those of us with some
knowledge of aerospace history did.

Old May 14th 04, 07:55 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

It becomes available.

For what?

What is the significance of spam cans costing seventeen
thousand dollars an hour?

What spam can costs seventeen thousand dollars an hour?

Old May 14th 04, 07:59 PM
BllFs6

And done for just a few piddly millions of dollars by nearly garage level
tinkers and builders?

I think not..

So what is the significance of it being redone relatively cheaply by garage
level tinkerers and builders?

You answered your OWN question.....its CHEAPER...ALOT cheaper.....

Lets face it..virtually everything everyone does as a job OR a hobby has no
real "reason" for being done...other than there is a demand for it and its
cheap enough that someone/someone else will pay to see/buy/do it/have it done
for them.....

Americans spend tens of BILLIONS on porn, makeup, and disco music every
year.....

Whats the point of those?

Not a damn thing as far as I can tell....

take care

Blll
Old May 14th 04, 08:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BllFs6" wrote in message

You answered your OWN question.....its CHEAPER...
ALOT cheaper.....

So something that has no practical purpose today can be done cheaper than it
was when done by the government four decades ago, when it did have a
practical purpose. Big deal.

Old May 14th 04, 08:12 PM
BllFs6

So something that has no practical purpose today can be done cheaper than it
was when done by the government four decades ago, when it did have a
practical purpose. Big deal.

So porn, makeup, and disco music ARE "practical"?

For every practical thing/job in existent I'll bet you can give 10 that are
dedicated to "non-practical " pursuits....and thats what makes modern living so
darn fun...

If you can make an honest living giving people what they WANT...I say more
power to ya....

Blll
Old May 14th 04, 08:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BllFs6" wrote in message

So porn, makeup, and disco music ARE "practical"?

I don't see the connection.

For every practical thing/job in existent I'll bet you can give 10 that
are dedicated to "non-practical " pursuits....and thats what makes
modern living so darn fun...

I didn't say this shouldn't be done, I just asked what the point of the
whole competition was. Someone said the ultimate goal is passenger hops as
a commercial venture. I'm okay with that.

If you can make an honest living giving people what they WANT...I
say more power to ya....

Me too, I just didn't realize there was so much demand for suborbital hops.

Old May 14th 04, 09:05 PM
gatt

"Aardvark" wrote in message news:58Voc.16596

100 km = 328084 feet

Note the "N" number.
N328KF

Nice catch!

A friend of mine also pointed out that SpaceShipOne's inaugural test flight
was December 17, 2003 which would not be a coincidence.

Rutan's padding his luck with aviation mojo. Yeah, that's it. :

-c

Old May 14th 04, 09:26 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Steve Hix" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

The earlier flights were not done in a re-usable spacecraft.

So what?

So that is a large part of what makes it different from the single-shot
suborbital flights of the past.

Not to mention the thousands of man-hours and cast of thousands needed
to turn around the shuttle.

One step on the road to non-government, gold-plated, decades-long
development projects type spaceflight.

The problem is that merely reaching the altitude is only a
part of the problem. The real issue is achieving orbital velocity
and the Rutan aircraft doesnt achive much more than 15%
of the velocity required to put something in orbit.

Keith

Old May 14th 04, 09:27 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

The problem is that merely reaching the altitude is only a
part of the problem. The real issue is achieving orbital velocity
and the Rutan aircraft doesnt achive much more than 15%
of the velocity required to put something in orbit.

Why is that an issue? Reaching the altitude is all they're trying to do.