LXNav screens (LX9000, LX9070, etc) and polarised sunglasses

Old December 12th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LXNav screens (LX9000, LX9070, etc) and polarised sunglasses

Good evening all,

Has anyone experienced any problems with polarised sunglasses and LXNav PNA's? If so, could you kindly advise:
- The model number
- The installed orientation, and
- What plane was the screen polarised in, horizontal or vertical?

Many thanks!

CJ
B3
Old December 12th 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I had a problem with a CAI 302.Â* It seems that in a certain batch of
production, the screens were installed 90 degrees to the required
orientation.Â* With that, I had to raise my polarized glasses or tip my
head to the side to read the instrument.Â* It was doable, but very annoying.

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 12th 18, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 6:45:54 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Good evening all,

Has anyone experienced any problems with polarised sunglasses and LXNav PNA's? If so, could you kindly advise:
- The model number
- The installed orientation, and
- What plane was the screen polarised in, horizontal or vertical?

Many thanks!

CJ
B3

I have not heard of any problems with the LX9050, LX9000, LX9070.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 12th 18, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 8:49:43 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I had a problem with a CAI 302.Â* It seems that in a certain batch of
production, the screens were installed 90 degrees to the required
orientation.Â* With that, I had to raise my polarized glasses or tip my
head to the side to read the instrument.Â* It was doable, but very annoying.

--
Dan, 5J

Back in the day (and that day was 15 years ago), I sent my 302 back in for a free screen swap to get polarizing the right way. Someone somewhere probably has some "right-way" screens sitting in a dusty old box.

bumper
Old December 13th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 1:34:28 PM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 8:49:43 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I had a problem with a CAI 302.Â* It seems that in a certain batch of
production, the screens were installed 90 degrees to the required
orientation.Â* With that, I had to raise my polarized glasses or tip my
head to the side to read the instrument.Â* It was doable, but very annoying.

--
Dan, 5J

Back in the day (and that day was 15 years ago), I sent my 302 back in for a free screen swap to get polarizing the right way. Someone somewhere probably has some "right-way" screens sitting in a dusty old box.

bumper

Didn't know the 302 was an option with LX90x0. The V8/80 is probably a better choice, certainly more contemporary.
Casey: My now ancient fix for non-standard polarisation angle issues was to stop wearing polarised glasses.
Jim
Old December 13th 18, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you all

Jim: I’m attempting the reverse. Haze domes and cloud detail have been evading me. Something I’d like to change by going polarized.

CJ
Old December 14th 18, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

I have used my LX9050 with polarized RayBans. No issues. The only thing I couldn't see was the Trig transponder screen. It's polarized the wrong way, I guess.
Old December 14th 18, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 3:30:12 PM UTC+2, wrote:
Thank you all

Jim: I’m attempting the reverse. Haze domes and cloud detail have been evading me. Something I’d like to change by going polarized.

CJ

Old wisdom is that you never fly with polarised glasses because sun's reflection from other aircraft is essentially polarised to one direction and will be invisible trough polarised lens. Seeing cloud outline far away, haze domes etc. requires good contrast, usually brownish tint is best. I use Zeiss Skylet sunglass lenses which give amazing color reproduction AND contrast (very difficult to do both). I think they are optimal for gliding (and quite expensive, unfortunately). Absolutely no problems with any glider displays.