Trim settings the same for takeoff and landing?

Old April 22nd 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxyzptlk

Default Trim settings the same for takeoff and landingSpamming?

http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old April 22nd 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Invisible dog

Default Trim settings the same for takeoff and landing?

On Apr 21, 11:35*am, Ari wrote:
On 21 Apr 2010 13:08:22 GMT, Bob Moore wrote:

Mark wrote

Because you fly out at 65 kts and land
at the same speed. *The commonality is your airspeed.

Mark, you have failed to consider that in most lightplanes, the TO is
made with FLAPS UP and landings are generally made with FULL FLAPS.
Flaps require a really large trim adjustment, remember the GO-AROUND...
the large trim change required immediately after applying power and raising
the flaps? The difference between TO power and approach power also adds to
this large trim change in propellor driven aircraft.

Bob Moore
ATP CFII
PanAm (retired)

Failed to consider?

You're posting to the next Mxsmanic.
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!http://tr.im/holj
Motto: Live To Spooge It!

Beat it asshole. You are the crossposting, spamming,
post forging, non-pilot who floods this group.
Old April 22nd 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Invisible dog

On Apr 21, 4:39*pm, george wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:02*am, " wrote:

On Apr 21, 12:44*am, Dave Doe wrote:

So many variables. **Plane* for starters!

Of course in simulators it will be the same. *He doesnt' fly a plane
where weight and balance issues come to play that affect trim settings
like in my real plane.

Ummm, for starters plane comes in lighter after a flight.... *:-)))

One other thing, I wouldn't have my trim set in the same spot on EVERY
flight either :-))) as you allude above, more variables then just set
trim and take off / land.

I found that I trimmed the aircraft to fly in what ever attitude I
required at that time.
I didn't make a point of examining where the pointer was .

Exactly. In one plane I fly, the white line is pretty much
worn off beyond recognition. ( I find it later after landing)

---
Mark
Old April 22nd 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jon Woellhaf

Several times, while flying from Denver to Salt Lake (direct) in my 182, the
air was so smooth that there was no sensation of movement at all, if I
closed my eyes, and I could lazily climb or descend at 100 to 200 fpm just
by leaning forward or back in my seat.

At those times, it was a lot like flying a simulator, except MUCH more
stable and with way better graphics!

Jon

wrote in message
On Apr 21, 3:39 pm, george wrote:

I found that I trimmed the aircraft to fly in what ever attitude I
required at that time.
I didn't make a point of examining where the pointer was .

Exactomundo. Heck, I lean forward or lean back and find myself having
to adjust trim. You just know to adjust it, not look down and set at
a predetermine setting and expect it to be the same setting on
landing.

Guess that's missed in the realism setting of 10 in MSFS LOL

Old April 22nd 10, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Brian Whatcott

Bob Moore wrote:
... in most lightplanes, the TO is
made with FLAPS UP and landings are generally made with FULL FLAPS.
Flaps require a really large trim adjustment, remember the GO-AROUND...
the large trim change required immediately after applying power and raising
the flaps? The difference between TO power and approach power also adds to
this large trim change in propeller driven aircraft.

Bob Moore
ATP CFII
PanAm (retired)

Yep: flaps and power setting determine trim needed in numerous aircraft
types.

Brian W
Old April 22nd 10, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Brian Whatcott

george wrote:
/snip/
I found that I trimmed the aircraft to fly in what ever attitude I
required at that time.
I didn't make a point of examining where the pointer was .

Better check the trim setting before applying power on the takeoff.
As the Vital Actions used to be recited:
(and are now read out, in some form...)

Trim for takeoff
Throttle nut tight
Mixture rich
Air cold
Prop pitch fine
Fuel on mains
Flaps as required
Harness and Hatches secure
Instruments in limits and set

Brian W
Old April 22nd 10, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Richard[_11_]

On Apr 21, 9:32*am, Mark wrote:
Snippage
as
simulation doesn't really translate to the real world.

Thanks.

---
Mark

Bob Moore
ATP CFII
PanAm (retired)

To quote the bunyip:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah genius, tell that to Boeing, LockMart and nasa to name a few.

Idiot.

Old April 22nd 10, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
a[_3_]

On Apr 22, 7:05*am, brian whatcott wrote:
Bob Moore wrote:
... *in most lightplanes, the TO is
made with FLAPS UP and landings are generally made with FULL FLAPS.
Flaps require a really large trim adjustment, remember the GO-AROUND...
the large trim change required immediately after applying power and raising
the flaps? The difference between TO power and approach power also adds to
this large trim change in propeller driven aircraft.

Bob Moore
ATP CFII
PanAm (retired)

Yep: flaps and power setting determine trim needed in numerous aircraft
types.

Brian W

My certificate says SEL among other things. I do pay attention to
setting the trim to the recommended settings for take off, but that is
the only time I look at the marks. After that it's simply trimming to
remove yoke pressures except I no longer adjust trim when I'm breaking
the descent and pulling back for landing. That leaves the trim in a
reasonable place -- not ideal -- should it be necessary to go around.
At least it will not be set for the nose up attitude I use for touch
down. For sure if I have to fly a miss from 20 feet agl I won't be
fighting with an airplane badly out of climb trim.

For sim jockeys, that is a real life issue if a deer happens to wander
onto the runway, or the guy waiting to take off starts to taxi onto
the active at the wrong time, or if tower says "Mooney 201whatever go
around!."

Old April 22nd 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ari[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 04:35:23 -0700 (PDT), Richard wrote:

On Apr 21, 9:32*am, Mark wrote:
Snippage
as
simulation doesn't really translate to the real world.

---
Mark

To quote the bunyip:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah genius, tell that to Boeing, LockMart and nasa to name a few.

Idiot.

Now, now , Richard, if you upset Mark(ie) he'll swear out
*DEATH THREATS* on you, change his name three dozen times, and TROLL
your ass off.

He's really quite the bi-polar nazz that boi is.

*snicker*
--
A fireside chat not with Ari!
http://tr.im/holj
Old April 22nd 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

writes:

Of course in simulators it will be the same. He doesnt' fly a plane
where weight and balance issues come to play that affect trim settings
like in my real plane.

Weight and balance issues are correctly simulated for the most part.

One other thing, I wouldn't have my trim set in the same spot on EVERY
flight either :-))) as you allude above, more variables then just set
trim and take off / land.

For takeoff, I have the trim set in the takeoff range (if any) marked on the
trim control or specified by the manual. For landing, I have trim set to
wherever it needs to be for my stabilized approach.

My original question concerned the fact that I often find that my trim setting
upon landing is also near the middle of the takeoff range, just as it was for
takeoff. And this seems to happen even though I'm not looking at the trim
indicator as I trim for my stabilized approach. I was just wondering if this
is a coincidence, or something that is more or less to be expected.

On large jets I don't know if this continues to be true, as checking the trim
position is difficult, and I make fewer trim adjustments because I'm usually
on autopilot until the approach is stabilized. There are other complicating
factors, too, such as the fact that control effects are partially inverted by
use of an autothrottle.