Liberty Aerospace XL2 - Any comments/observations?

Old June 2nd 04, 06:02 PM
Thomas Talley

Default Liberty Aerospace XL2 - Any comments/observations?

Just wondering if any has seen or flew the new Liberty Aerospace XL2 and would provide any "constructive" comments or observations.

Tnx

--
THOMAS TALLEY
Old June 3rd 04, 05:48 PM
Dude

I flew the plane, and tried to compare it to the Diamond katanas.

The plane I flew was the original prototype, and the fit and finish was not good. Whether the production models will improve on this is yet to be seen.

The plane looks a LOT bigger in pictures than in reality. It's tiny. My shoulder rubbed the canopy window when it was closed, and I felt my head was close to the glass as well. This is strange because it looks larger than the Eclipse which seemed more comfortable when I got in it.

I don't know if the production planes will get wing walk or steps or what, but the sit on the wing system won't work well if you want a clean butt.

Also, I liked the Apollo MFD's looks, but I would have to get used to it. Twin 430's seem to be a great solution to me. Liberty may have made the better choice for the personal user.

The Liberty's construction makes great sense on paper. A metal wing, with composite fuselage just seems to be a great idea to save cost and weight. This also makes IFR a lot easier, because a composite with metal liner makes a much heavier wing. Diamond simply decided not to go IFR, and it will certainly cost them some sales. On the other hand, the Liberty does not seem to have saved much money in this area when you compare costs. Flight schools will do better with the composite wings due to the almost ding proofness.

The Diamond handled better, but this may be a production vs. prototype thing as well. Or, it may be the nice long wing on the Diamond is just smoother. The Liberty seemed a bit twitchy, but not too much so. It could still be a trainer. I did not get to stall it, but the diamond has incredible stall behavior - no rudder necessary.

Liberty has FADEC, which is cool. I don't know how much this costs over time, but it should save fuel (as well as cylinders?). Otherwise the engines were the same. Also, the cruises seemed pretty close.

The Liberty has more luggage space. Diamond charges for an extra tube, but the access is about the same for both - over the seats and squeeze it in, then fish for it to get it out. Neither one is winning any awards on gross wt.

Overall, the Liberty seemed pretty nice to me. It would be a good choice versus a 172 for many people who almoat always fly alone. Also, if you really do fly IFR, then that may make the choice for you over the Diamond. Liberty seems to be designing more for personal owners, than flight schools. Schools would be better off with the Diamond, IMO.

One last thing, the company behind the liberty did not impress me at all. Their track record of making deadlines, plus a lot of general squirreliness would keep me from giving them a deposit ( in spite of how many times they asked for one). Wait until the planes are coming off the line, and see what the first few dozen owners think after a few months. More of these companies go bankrupt than not. The design could very well end up in someone elses hands, and that would likely be best from what I know.