What GA needs

Old September 12th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default What GA needs

john writes:

BZZZ wrong answer, your not learning to fly, your learning to play a game

It's no more a game than any other simulator, and some of the people flying
you from place to place have learned with those "games" (and more will do so
in the future).
Old September 12th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Mxsmanic said:
john writes:

BZZZ wrong answer, your not learning to fly, your learning to play a game

It's no more a game than any other simulator, and some of the people flying
you from place to place have learned with those "games" (and more will do so
in the future).

You think your $69.95 copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator is exactly the
same as the $5 million sim at Flight Safety? Geez, you're even vainer
than I thought, and that's saying something.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Here at WeSellCellPhones, I was pleased to hear that they believe in
Old September 12th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

john writes:

BZZZ wrong answer, your not learning to fly, your learning to play a game

It's no more a game than any other simulator, and some of the people flying
you from place to place have learned with those "games" (and more will do so
in the future).

You think your $69.95 copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator is exactly the
same as the $5 million sim at Flight Safety? Geez, you're even vainer
than I thought, and that's saying something.

I've been flying with google earth's flight simulation add-on. I feel
almost qualified already!

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
http://www.davidhorne.net - real address on website
Old September 12th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Jeff Dougherty wrote
... The third class medical doesn't do much more than
make sure you won't have a heart attack or seizure at 5,000 feet ...

I believe the third class medical -- or even the first class medical --
provide no assurance whatsoever that you won't have a heart attack on the
way from the doctor's office to your car.

Old September 12th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

"Jon Woellhaf" writes:

Jeff Dougherty wrote
... The third class medical doesn't do much more than
make sure you won't have a heart attack or seizure at 5,000 feet ...

I believe the third class medical -- or even the first class medical --
provide no assurance whatsoever that you won't have a heart attack on the
way from the doctor's office to your car.

Indeed. In the Canadian regulations someplace, they describe the
intent of the medical exams as to reduce the probability of an
in-flight incapacitation to something like 1%. For the higher levels
of certificates, this is assumed to be under conditions of higher
stress/intensity/endurance - considering commercial pilots as flying
harder (physiologically speaking) than private pilots.

- FChE
Old September 12th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sep 12, 1:06 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

It's easier to become a lawyer than it is to become a pilot, and in some
respects it's easier to become a doctor as well.

An amazingly stupid statement, even without any background in any of
these fields..

F--

Old September 12th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jeff Dougherty wrote:
On Sep 12, 12:40 am, James Sleeman wrote:
On Sep 12, 1:17 pm, Jeff Dougherty
wrote:

to rent than the next one over. If the community could successfully
lobby for a cheap, VFR plane that could lower the cost of renting
and serve as a "gateway" into flying, I believe that would do a
great deal towards attracting new pilots.

It's called a US-Legal ultralight. Or LSA like an X-Air H or RANS S6
for a little more $ and comfort.

You sound like the kind of person who would really get a kick out of
flying even first generation ultralghts, it really is getting right
back to basics, stick, rudder, and not a whole lot else to get
between you and the art of flying.

I think I would, actually. When I fly, it will likely be under light-
sport rules since all I anticipate really wanting to do is drill some
plane-shaped holes in the sky and take in the view.

My concern is for the next generation of rental aircraft. The cheap
LSA and ultralights that you cited all seem to be flying under the
experimental rules, which I believe don't allow an aircraft to be
rented or used for any commercial purpose including instruction for
hire. (If I've misread the FARs, please correct me as IANAP) There
doesn't seem to be anything coming along to replace the Cessna 150 on
the flight school and rental lineup, and that's what worries me.

-JTD

You are half right. the S-LSA aircraft can be rented indeed Cessna
themselves have just started taking orders on the 162 Skycatcher.

Also, for at least a while the E-LSA (the ******* children of Experimental
and S-LSA) can be rented.

Check out sportpilot.org for more info.

Old September 12th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Maxwell wrote:

Noise - The need for wearing a headset has to go.

Oh you kids. When I got my PP-SEL back in 79 nobody at the airport wore
headsets. Of course we are all deaf today. But I don't see headsets as a
negative. Kids grow up wearing bike helmets and iPod ear buds. They are used
to wearing stuff on their heads.