How did KPHX Class B get so screwed up?

Old January 31st 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default How did KPHX Class B get so screwed up?

Shirl writes:

Mxsmanic wrote:
What is happening to the FAA? The new Class B airspace
at KPHX drives another few nails into the GA coffin.

How so?

It seems to be designed around the assumption that everyone has a moving-map
GPS to show the boundaries of the various sectors. Anyone who doesn't have
this is going to have a devil of a time figuring out whether or not he's
drifting into Class B. Since GA aircraft often don't have a moving-map GPS,
they are being strongly encouraged to stay away by the difficulty inherent in
finding the sector boundaries using just navaids, radials, landmarks, etc.

I know that GA groups were strongly opposed to this new scheme, and I can see
why. The overall impression created is that Phoenix doesn't want any GA
traffic.
Old January 31st 08, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Shirl writes:

Mxsmanic wrote:
What is happening to the FAA? The new Class B airspace
at KPHX drives another few nails into the GA coffin.

How so?

It seems to be designed around the assumption that everyone has a
moving-map GPS to show the boundaries of the various sectors. Anyone
who doesn't have this is going to have a devil of a time figuring out
whether or not he's drifting into Class B. Since GA aircraft often
don't have a moving-map GPS, they are being strongly encouraged to
stay away by the difficulty inherent in finding the sector boundaries
using just navaids, radials, landmarks, etc.

I know that GA groups were strongly opposed to this new scheme, and I
can see why. The overall impression created is that Phoenix doesn't
want any GA traffic.

You are an idiot.

Bertie
Old January 31st 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Jan 31, 7:44*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Shirl writes:
Mxsmanic wrote:
What is happening to the FAA? *The new Class B airspace
at KPHX drives another few nails into the GA coffin.

How so?

It seems to be designed around the assumption that everyone has a moving-map
GPS to show the boundaries of the various sectors. *Anyone who doesn't have
this is going to have a devil of a time figuring out whether or not he's
drifting into Class B. *Since GA aircraft often don't have a moving-map GPS,
they are being strongly encouraged to stay away by the difficulty inherent in
finding the sector boundaries using just navaids, radials, landmarks, etc.

I know that GA groups were strongly opposed to this new scheme, and I can see
why. *The overall impression created is that Phoenix doesn't want any GA
traffic.

Anyone with a relatively cheap GPS will be able to navigate this just
fine. This is a non-issue.

--Jeff
Old January 31st 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

JB writes:

Anyone with a relatively cheap GPS will be able to navigate this just
fine. This is a non-issue.

How much does a GPS certified for this type of use cost?
Old January 31st 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

JB writes:

Anyone with a relatively cheap GPS will be able to navigate this just
fine. This is a non-issue.

How much does a GPS certified for this type of use cost?

About a hundred dollars.

How much does a candy bar cost?

Bertie
Old January 31st 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
JB writes:

Anyone with a relatively cheap GPS will be able to navigate this just
fine. This is a non-issue.

How much does a GPS certified for this type of use cost?

No certification needed.
Old January 31st 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 31, 12:33 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Anyone with a relatively cheap GPS will be able to navigate this just
fine. This is a non-issue.

How much does a GPS certified for this type of use cost?

A perfect example of how, if you don't actual flight experience in
FAA's system, the answer won't be obvious and you would ask.
such a dumb question.

F--
Old January 31st 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
JB writes:

Anyone with a relatively cheap GPS will be able to navigate this just
fine. This is a non-issue.

How much does a GPS certified for this type of use cost?

There is no certification requirement for VFR GPS.

If you really flew, you would know this.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 31st 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 31, 6:44*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Shirl writes:
Mxsmanic wrote:
What is happening to the FAA? *The new Class B airspace
at KPHX drives another few nails into the GA coffin.

How so?

It seems to be designed around the assumption that everyone has a moving-map
GPS to show the boundaries of the various sectors. *Anyone who doesn't have
this is going to have a devil of a time figuring out whether or not he's
drifting into Class B. *Since GA aircraft often don't have a moving-map GPS,
they are being strongly encouraged to stay away by the difficulty inherent in
finding the sector boundaries using just navaids, radials, landmarks, etc.

I know that GA groups were strongly opposed to this new scheme, and I can see
why. *The overall impression created is that Phoenix doesn't want any GA
traffic.

You think aircraft are vectored through class B according to sector
boundaries?

What?

Oh wait ... what was *I* thinking when I started to respond to this?

I wasn't.
Old January 31st 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Shirl writes:
Mxsmanic wrote:
[...]

--Jeff- Hide quoted text -

Or even without!