AC5 M safety?

Old January 19th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas L

Default AC5 M safety?

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the safety of the Russia AC5M self launcher?

The propeller is inches from the pilots head with the engine in the stowed position. How much of a hazard would this be in a hard landing or crash?

How safe is the cockpit? I dont much like the location of the fuel tank The 2.5 gallon fuel tank is directly behind the pilots head.

I haven't found much data on the AC5M so any info would be appreciated.

Nick
Old January 19th 14, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 1:34:05 PM UTC-6, Nicholas L wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the safety of the Russia AC5M self launcher?

The propeller is inches from the pilots head with the engine in the stowed position. How much of a hazard would this be in a hard landing or crash?

How safe is the cockpit? I dont much like the location of the fuel tank The 2.5 gallon fuel tank is directly behind the pilots head.

I haven't found much data on the AC5M so any info would be appreciated.

Nick

If I understand you correctly, the propeller is stowed inside the fuel tank?
Old January 19th 14, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

yes, that is true..............the designers felt storing the prop inside the fuel tank promoted better mixing of the 2-stroke mixture.

Brad
Old January 20th 14, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Gives a whole new meaning to propping your head up.

Boggs
Old January 20th 14, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

maanantai, 20. tammikuuta 2014 6.50.07 UTC+2 gotovkotzepkoi kirjoitti:
Nicholas L;849707 Wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the safety of the Russia AC5M

self launcher?

The propeller is inches from the pilots head with the engine in the

stowed position. How much of a hazard would this be in a hard landing or

crash?

How safe is the cockpit? I dont much like the location of the fuel tank

The 2.5 gallon fuel tank is directly behind the pilots head.

I haven't found much data on the AC5M so any info would be appreciated.

Nick

Safe, quality? Ask yourself, do you know of any Russian products at all

that sell outside of Russia? No? That's because there aren't any. They

don't make anything worth buying.

--

gotovkotzepkoi

AK47?
Old January 20th 14, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

I would be more concerned with the what the prop might do when it comes off the engine...............tragic accident not long ago, where the ship was seen in a hard left turn at about 500', then the pilot tried to bailout, but was too low. Prop was found stick in the left wing!
JJ

Old January 20th 14, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:50:07 PM UTC-5, gotovkotzepkoi wrote:
Nicholas L;849707 Wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the safety of the Russia AC5M

self launcher?

The propeller is inches from the pilots head with the engine in the

stowed position. How much of a hazard would this be in a hard landing or

crash?

How safe is the cockpit? I dont much like the location of the fuel tank

The 2.5 gallon fuel tank is directly behind the pilots head.

I haven't found much data on the AC5M so any info would be appreciated.

Nick

Safe, quality? Ask yourself, do you know of any Russian products at all

that sell outside of Russia? No? That's because there aren't any. They

don't make anything worth buying.

Oh, I think Syria would disagree with you.

Old January 20th 14, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:34:05 PM UTC-7, Nicholas L wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the safety of the Russia AC5M self launcher?

The propeller is inches from the pilots head with the engine in the stowed position. How much of a hazard would this be in a hard landing or crash?

How safe is the cockpit? I dont much like the location of the fuel tank The 2.5 gallon fuel tank is directly behind the pilots head.

I haven't found much data on the AC5M so any info would be appreciated.

Nick

groups.yahoo.com and join ac4

There is as much or more discussion among ac5m owners as anything else. There have been some prop shaft failures, but there is some discussion of a replacement part.

The ac5m listed on barnstormers.com is not listed in the group, but others there may be able to comment.

Frank W
Old January 20th 14, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

JJ Sinclair wrote, On 1/20/2014 6:33 AM:
I would be more concerned with the what the prop might do when it
comes off the engine...............tragic accident not long ago,
where the ship was seen in a hard left turn at about 500', then the
pilot tried to bailout, but was too low. Prop was found stick in the
left wing! JJ

Propellers have come off DG400 and PIK 20, so it's not specific to the
AC-5M. Who was pilot in the AC-5M accident you mentioned?

email me)