Leaving the community

Old November 24th 04, 02:53 PM
Dan Luke

"Matt Whiting" wrote:
So you indoctrinate them into the religion of "free thinking",
philosophy, etc. I was just curious.

Another tired argument commonly used by dogmatists. "Everything is
religion, so my religion makes just as much sense as anything else."

Old November 24th 04, 05:17 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:20:43 -0500, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Claiming something doesn't make it so. The Bible says that by their
works you will know them. Hitler's works clearly weren't Christian,
therefore he wasn't. I can claim to be the President of the United
States, but that doesn't make it so.

Matt

"Show me a shred of evidence" he says, "that Hitler was a Christian".

So I shows him several shreds, I does.

"Evidence don't mean anything" he now says. "I believe what I want to
believe".

An essential trait for the religious, I think.
Old November 24th 04, 05:19 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:49:32 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote:

"No true Scotsman..."

You know, I don't know how we overlooked, in all this discussion, that
great American christian group known as the White Knights of the Ku
Klux Klan.

Now there's a fine collection of religious fellows if there ever was
one.
Old November 24th 04, 09:30 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm no supporter of the Catholic church, so I won't argue with you there.
The Catholic church doesn't follow the Bible in many ways and much of what
they believe in and do is simply not supported by scripture and often
outright condemned.

I know most Catholics would disagree, but I don't consider Catholicism to
be Christianity as they tend to elevate Mary to a level equal to or even
higher than Christ.

Whoo-whee!

Man, if only I had the guts to have said something like this to the nuns
back at good ol' St. Catherine's High School, in Racine, WI. (Class of '76)

Dang, I'd STILL be walking with a limp...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 04, 09:32 PM
Jay Honeck

Not this one. In Texas, no less.

"Dena Schlosser, 35, was charged with capital murder Monday after calmly
telling a 911 operator that she had cut off the arms of 11-month old
Margaret. Police found Schlosser sitting in her living room, covered in
blood, a church hymn playing in the background."

Now, come on. I think it's safe to say that people of ALL religions and
beliefs would classify this lady as mentally ill.

Although some might call it "possessed"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 25th 04, 02:04 AM
jls

Thanks for all the laughs, especially from a wit -- CFII. And of course I
enjoyed the unintended humor from Matt and Bob.

If you want to have some fun read the de-conversion stories at
www.positiveatheism.org, which is also a great site for the freethinker.

Happy Thanksgiving. I think I'll give thanks to Eros and Bacchus this
year.

A man came up to me on the street and said I used to be messed up out of my
mind on drugs but now I'm messed up out of my mind on Jeeesus Chriiist.
George Carlin