Soaring Safari - First Trip

Old January 14th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring Safari - First Trip

Hello all,

I have interest in exploring and taking part in a soaring safari in the summer of 2016. Being somewhat new to soaring, (approximately 120 hours of glider time verses 3000 in power), I would like to expand my horizons. I would like to explore the potential of venturing out to the front range of the Colorado Rockies this summer for a week of Soaring.
This will be a good introduction to a follow up trip, further out west the following summer 2017 (Utah, Wyoming and Nevada or where the lift take me) while I embrace retirement. I am based in the mid-west and fly a HP-18 in typically weak flatland conditions. Over the last couple of years, I was able to gain further experience with two trips to Minden, one to Moriority and a brief trip to PA. My goal is to find and hook up with soaring pilots who have like interests and the time to pursue extended trips.

Thanks,
Cozyflier
Old January 14th 16, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hey Cozy,

Are you talking about flying straight out each day with a self-launcher,
ground launch, or with a following tow plane, or trailering to a
location and flying there? Straight out flights are the most fun, IMHO,
but are a lot more difficult logistically. If you want to trailer to a
fixed location, I highly recommend Salida, CO. Check it out.

--
Dan, 5J
*Mom's Memory*

*A little boy asked his mother, " Mommy, how come I'm black and you're
white?"*
*His mother replied, "Don't even go there Barack! From what I can
remember about that party, you're lucky you don't bark!"*

--
Dan

Old January 15th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Loye Hilton[_2_]

On 1/14/2016 1:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

-- Dan, would there be interest in flying out of pagosa Colo. This summer?

Dan

Old January 15th 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've never flown at Pagosa, though I've flown over it. Yes, I'd be
interested if there were tows available or if I have my Stemme by then!

Old January 16th 16, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Loye Hilton[_2_]

On 1/14/2016 1:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

-- ok will set it up when I get back to New Mexico in March
Dan, 5J

Old January 20th 16, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 2:40:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Being new to the group, is this a good place to meet new people with the same interest in extended soaring vacations or soaring safari's. I intend to venture out west for my first week of soaring using my own sailplane and am looking for people that have the same interest. My goal is to meet other sailplane pilots who may have the time to spend in the Rockies or further out west.

Thanks,
Chris
Old January 21st 16, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes. There are various other mailing lists or groups, but most of them are populated by a subset of the folks who monitor this usenet group.

So post away! Sure more fun than some other threads here ;-)