The urban legend of the buried spitfire parts

Old July 27th 03, 04:37 PM
MBannister

Default The urban legend of the buried spitfire parts

Hi,

Over the years, I have come across various stories, tales told in
pubs, etc etc about a quantity of "Spitfire parts" (usually RR Merlin
engines) having been buried at some time during or shortly after WWII.

The reasons for the burial vary, from the burial taking place during
the Battle of Britain so that the parts could be used in the event of
an invasion driving the RAF underground (!) to the burial taking place
in the 50's purely because the parts were surplus to requirements but
were considered too good to be "given away" to scrap merchants and
therefore were squirrelled away until they became more valuable.

Theories as to location seem to vary too, from a field next to the
main RR factory in Derby to continents and countries across the globe.

I would love to set up a web site to detail these stories and also to
try and shed light on their veracity.

So..... anyone out there know the real beef on what went on? Anyone
out there heard similar stories in their local? Was anyone actively
involved in the actual burial and can therefore give me the real
location? Anyone know of any serious research already put into this
subject on which we could colloborate?

Any and all info please to the e-mail address that you can deduce from

RRMerlinStories (at) hotmail dot com

(don't reply to the address from which this appears to come - its not
real!)

thanks in advance

/\/\
Old July 28th 03, 01:15 AM
JDupre5762

So..... anyone out there know the real beef on what went on? Anyone
out there heard similar stories in their local?

There was quite a lot of activity in Great Britain in the last few years over a
report of buried Lancasters complete with eyewitness reports and some type of
ground survey. When the site was dug up nothing was found. I remember reading
a decade or so ago that someone in the US bought a lot of warehouse stored WW2
era aircraft parts and discovered to his astonishment dozens of Spitfire parts
in amongst T-6 Texan parts and others. I recall that they were mostly one type
of part like left hand ailerons.

John Dupre'