There's oil in them engines

Old January 12th 05, 11:39 PM

Default There's oil in them engines

Hey folks, I am going to ferrying an airplane from Florida to Virginia next
week. This airplane has a Lycoming O-360 and is now using 100 weight oil.
The airplane is going to stay in Virginia for several months.

Question 1:

To the pilots that fly in this, or similar areas, would you recommend
switching to a multiweight oil? I've asked two mechanics, one said that I
should definitely switch the oil and the other said that 100 weight would be
fine and that I would have to just let the engine warm up longer.

Question 2:

If the answer to the above question is to change the oil, should I have it
changed before the trip up from Florida, or wait until I'm here in Virginia?

Question 3:

Where is a good place to buy oil online or somewhere in Virginia? I can't
seem to locate an oil distributor in Virginia that will sell aviation oil by
the case to individuals. I've looked into the usual on-line culprits,
Aircraft Spruce, Chief, etc. They seem to be about the same price.

Question 4:

Okay, this one is only sorta oil related. Should I look into a preheater?
The airplane will be housed in a non-heated hangar. If you think
pre-heating is necessary for the Virginia winter weather, should it be just
a sump heater or should I get the core heater too?

Thank you for your informative inputs.

Old January 13th 05, 12:42 AM
zatatime

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:39:54 GMT, "
wrote:

Hey folks, I am going to ferrying an airplane from Florida to Virginia next
week. This airplane has a Lycoming O-360 and is now using 100 weight oil.
The airplane is going to stay in Virginia for several months.

Question 1:

To the pilots that fly in this, or similar areas, would you recommend
switching to a multiweight oil? I've asked two mechanics, one said that I
should definitely switch the oil and the other said that 100 weight would be
fine and that I would have to just let the engine warm up longer.

I'd switch to 80. 100 will be a little heavy for most normal winters.
This winter has been exceptionally mild, so 100 will probably be fine
for the coming months.

Question 2:

If the answer to the above question is to change the oil, should I have it
changed before the trip up from Florida, or wait until I'm here in Virginia?

If you change it, I'd change it before you leave. It's warmer in FL
and therefore won't be as much of a pain as trying to do it in the
cold.

Question 3:

Where is a good place to buy oil online or somewhere in Virginia? I can't
seem to locate an oil distributor in Virginia that will sell aviation oil by
the case to individuals. I've looked into the usual on-line culprits,
Aircraft Spruce, Chief, etc. They seem to be about the same price.

No help on this one, sorry.

Question 4:

Okay, this one is only sorta oil related. Should I look into a preheater?
The airplane will be housed in a non-heated hangar. If you think
pre-heating is necessary for the Virginia winter weather, should it be just
a sump heater or should I get the core heater too?

If you're plane is hangared I'd think a sump heater should be enough
to do the trick.

Thank you for your informative inputs.

HTH.

Old January 13th 05, 01:14 AM
Juan Jimenez

" wrote in message
ink.net...
Question 3:

Where is a good place to buy oil online or somewhere in Virginia? I can't
seem to locate an oil distributor in Virginia that will sell aviation oil
by the case to individuals. I've looked into the usual on-line culprits,
Aircraft Spruce, Chief, etc. They seem to be about the same price.

Believe it or not, some Sam's Club stores have aviation oil. The one I used
to go to in North Richland Hills, TX had it by the case.

Old January 13th 05, 02:37 AM
nrp

Under questioning a Lycoming service rep once admitted that too thin
oil is probably much less damaging than too thick oil.

There was a Texas twin many years ago at Aspen that left with a
cylinder preheat and start with 50 weight oil on a cold morning. Both
engines shelled out on takeoff & all were killed (or so the story
went).

Don't plan on ever starting it with 50 weight oil under about 50 deg F
oil temp.

The problem isn't starting. It's getting an adequate fog or spray of
lubrication going inside the crankcase. A lot of things go against you
with thicker oil. On top of that, oil that blows over the oil pump
relief valve doesn't really have access to the hot areas of the engine.
At least that's my take on flying to colder areas.

Old January 13th 05, 04:33 AM
Jon A.

I'll try that one. The Lewisville store hasn't had it, nor could they
seem to get it for me.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:14:59 -0400, "Juan Jimenez"
wrote:

link.net...

Old January 13th 05, 04:51 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Juan Jimenez" wrote:

" wrote in message
ink.net...
Question 3:

Where is a good place to buy oil online or somewhere in Virginia? I can't
seem to locate an oil distributor in Virginia that will sell aviation oil
by the case to individuals. I've looked into the usual on-line culprits,
Aircraft Spruce, Chief, etc. They seem to be about the same price.

Believe it or not, some Sam's Club stores have aviation oil. The one I used
to go to in North Richland Hills, TX had it by the case.

The price has gone up at Sam's Club. Here in Daytona Beach, 100W used to
be $24/case; now it is $32; 15W50 used to be $36, now it is $50/case.

Yep -- Sam's Club has Aeroshell here -- even available in 55-gallon
drums.
Old January 13th 05, 10:57 AM
Doug

Aeroshell W100 oil is not 100 weight oil. It is 50 weight. Aeroshell
W80 is 40 weight.
The website for shell oil:
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?..._10081019.html

Very confusing on Shell's part to name the oil the way they did.
Personally, I am a fan of multiweight oil unless you are running in a
climate where it never gets below 50 degrees for starting the airplane.
Multiweight oil gives better lubrication on cold startups. Even if you
live in a warm climate, what if you travel to a colder one, park on the
ramp and cold start?

Old January 13th 05, 05:51 PM
G.R. Patterson III

" wrote:

To the pilots that fly in this, or similar areas, would you recommend
switching to a multiweight oil?

I'm a little bit further north, but I would go to multigrade.

If the answer to the above question is to change the oil, should I have it
changed before the trip up from Florida, or wait until I'm here in Virginia?

In Florida. It'll be a lot more comfortable to work there, and multigrade
handles the heat just as well as 100 does.

Where is a good place to buy oil online or somewhere in Virginia? I can't
seem to locate an oil distributor in Virginia that will sell aviation oil by
the case to individuals.

That's odd. Most Shell distributors don't have problems doing this. Anyway, I
sometimes buy from http://www.oil-store.com

Okay, this one is only sorta oil related. Should I look into a preheater?
The airplane will be housed in a non-heated hangar.

I would go with something like a 100 watt light bulb tucked under the cowl. I
don't think you need something as elaborate as a Tannis.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.