Best Flight Of the Day NA

Old April 16th 20, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Best Flight Of the Day NA

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 7:16:05 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Oh, you must be talking about landing the thing. :-DÂ* I find the
landings easier than the takeoffs, especially with a cross wind from the
left.Â* There were a few thermals but we were only about 3,000' AGL.
Sundance Aviation was launching the Grob with two on board.Â* I don't
know if those were rides, training, or checks.

On 4/15/2020 4:55 PM, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 6:43:08 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Patti and I got 1.3 hours in the C-180.Â* Guess that doesn't count, but
it sure felt good to get up in the air.Â* We just toured the valley and
the local mountains.

On 4/14/2020 5:19 PM, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 6:51:17 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 5:08:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I have been looking at OLC and trying to make a determination as to had the best flight of the day in North America. Now listen, no politics here, just flight evaluation and the cut off time is midnight on the East Coast. No flaming liberals shall post. Bob
Early in the day but it looks like Zimmerman did well today in the Carolina's, nothing here in Florida as of yet, Maybe the motorglider guys will post later. Bob
Sunflower guys got one in today.
--
Dan, 5J

Dan, that sure must have been an enjoyable afternoon in the 180, I flew one of those back in the 70's all I did was bounce, bounce, bounce, you know the drill. Bob

--
Dan, 5J

No, not the thing, the beast! I had more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Old April 16th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan when we had our 180 I found she would three point as easily as other draggers IF I cranked in all of the up-trim available and kept just a smidge of power on. If I didn’t then it definitely was bounce bounce lol.
Dan
Old April 16th 20, 09:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 5:08:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I have been looking at OLC and trying to make a determination as to had the best flight of the day in North America. Now listen, no politics here, just flight evaluation and the cut off time is midnight on the East Coast. No flaming liberals shall post. Bob

very good flights to the guys out of Boston yesterday, all three had nice traces.
Old April 16th 20, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

"very good flights to the guys out of Boston yesterday, all three had nice traces."

Thanks Bob.
Darn near froze my toes off, but it was good to fly.
ROY
Old April 16th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 7:56:30 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
"very good flights to the guys out of Boston yesterday, all three had nice traces."

Thanks Bob.
Darn near froze my toes off, but it was good to fly.
ROY

I bet you did freeze your toes off, from my calculations looks like you got about 8500 AGL at one point. Very nice triangle Roy, that is the kind of flight that makes it fun. Bob
Old April 16th 20, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Dan,

Yup, made a couple of small bounces yesterday.Â* Landings are really
pretty uneventful and I generally do them as you described.Â* I was
recalling a particular take off from a ranch strip on the Continental
Divide, with soft dirt, left quartering tailwind, and down hill.Â* Took
most of the strip to get airborne, but there was a wide, gentle valley
ahead to gain altitude.Â* In the other direction was a head wind, but up
hill, into the side of a mountain which would require maneuvering to
miss the rocks and then dive down a canyon to gain speed and then
altitude.Â* If I had it to do again, I think I'd take the up hill, into
the rocks, choice.

I don't think I'll take our "Goose" back there, but I'll certainly take
the gyro once it's built and tested.

Dan

Old April 16th 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 5:08:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I have been looking at OLC and trying to make a determination as to had the best flight of the day in North America. Now listen, no politics here, just flight evaluation and the cut off time is midnight on the East Coast. No flaming liberals shall post. Bob

Too early to call the winner but looks like the dude in the DG1001M had a good day running the ridge.
Old April 17th 20, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 6:49:02 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 5:08:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I have been looking at OLC and trying to make a determination as to had the best flight of the day in North America. Now listen, no politics here, just flight evaluation and the cut off time is midnight on the East Coast. No flaming liberals shall post. Bob

Too early to call the winner but looks like the dude in the DG1001M had a good day running the ridge.

Didn't think the early flight would stand the day, looks like the flights from New Castle set the top three positions. Three nice flights, the LS6 set the pace with over 900 points, way to go!
Old April 17th 20, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

JP Stewart wins the day woohoo!
Old April 18th 20, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Thursday, April 9, 2020 at 5:08:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
I have been looking at OLC and trying to make a determination as to had the best flight of the day in North America. Now listen, no politics here, just flight evaluation and the cut off time is midnight on the East Coast. No flaming liberals shall post. Bob

Looks like Zimmerman did good today but landed early to enjoy the cocktail hour, looks like your are a few behind. Nice flight Sam. Hope it last. Bob