Flight Analysis

Old August 11th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Caldwell (BC)

Default Flight Analysis

Hi Pilots,
I usually do analysis on my flights and those of other pilots I flew with to try understand what I did right or wrong and what I can learn from pilots better than me. A recent flight on OLC showed that I circled 15.5% of the time at an average of 3.3m/s (about 6.4 kts). Opening the .igc file in SeeYou it showed 20% and an average 4.9 kts. Can any of you shed light on how these differences occurred?
Thanks, Bob
Old August 12th 20, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Hi Bob -

I'd guess that OLC is just showing you the stats for your 6 leg OLC scoring.

SeeYou stats are for the entire flight.

Either way - that's a great flight - both % of circling and thermal strength!

Lou

Old August 12th 20, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I recall Seeyou has parameters that define what count as circling (time based IIRC). So a single circle may or may not count as circling.

Ramy
Old August 12th 20, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 6:04:09 PM UTC-4, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:
Hi Pilots,
I usually do analysis on my flights and those of other pilots I flew with to try understand what I did right or wrong and what I can learn from pilots better than me. A recent flight on OLC showed that I circled 15.5% of the time at an average of 3.3m/s (about 6.4 kts). Opening the .igc file in SeeYou it showed 20% and an average 4.9 kts. Can any of you shed light on how these differences occurred?
Thanks, Bob

You can set "marker 1" and "marker 2" in SeeYou (right click...), then look at the "selection" tab under stats to see the stats for that specific segment. Typically, one might do this for the start/finish of a task to cut out the pre-start meandering and post finish pattern/landing.

T8
Old August 12th 20, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Check out video #13 from my SeeYou training videos playlist.

Maybe the optimized task in SeeYou will match the OLC statistics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pHhJtdi_7kK7Xm
Old August 12th 20, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Corstian Boerman

There are many different algorithms of analysing flight performance, and they all have small and subtle differences in what they regard as thermalling, cruising, turning and the likes.

I'm currently working on developing https://skyhop.org as a way to analyse flight performance without having to hassle with IGC files, and I bet it'll show a different value again given I'm using a value calculated by an XCSoar derivative. Only limitation right now is that you would need Flarm in your glider (and again, this collection method would also skew data a bit).

Ps, I'm just starting out on this endeavour, so if anyone has feedback on the tool, I'd love to hear about it!
Old August 13th 20, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 7:32:30 PM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
Check out video #13 from my SeeYou training videos playlist.

Maybe the optimized task in SeeYou will match the OLC statistics.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pHhJtdi_7kK7Xm

Thanks for all the videos you have done!