Vans RV-Light Sport Aircraft

Old October 11th 04, 04:38 AM
Dale

Default Vans RV-Light Sport Aircraft

Got to thinking today about building another project and was wondering about
maybe Vans coming out with an RV-? that would fit the Light Sport Aircraft
catagory. With Rotax power and about 150 kt cruise. I'm not interested in
any Lycoming or certified power, nor any automotive power.
Could he do it? Would he do it?
I don't think I would hesitate for a kit like this. I know there are lots of
others out there but I would bet the bank on an
RV-? project.
Anybody got any ideas along this line?
Dale

Old October 11th 04, 04:49 AM
W P Dixon

Dale,
I would like to see Van make a light sport plane as well. One reason he
may not want to is the cruise speed is slower than he usually goes for. I
believe you mentioned 150k, that would keep sport pilots from flying that
airplane. If I am not mistaken 120k in level flight will be the max. BUT
HEY, who knows for sure it seems something changes everyday with the whole
sport thing! HAHA But I do agree , I would like to see an RV-SP ! hee hee

Patrick

Old October 11th 04, 05:06 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:38:33 -0500, "Dale" wrote:

Got to thinking today about building another project and was wondering about
maybe Vans coming out with an RV-? that would fit the Light Sport Aircraft
catagory. With Rotax power and about 150 kt cruise.

150 knots is 30 knots higher than the *maximum* allowed level flight speed
for Light Sport. Better run your cruise expectations down 50 knots or
so....

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 11th 04, 03:11 PM
ET

Ron Wanttaja wrote in
:

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:38:33 -0500, "Dale" wrote:

Got to thinking today about building another project and was wondering
about maybe Vans coming out with an RV-? that would fit the Light
Sport Aircraft catagory. With Rotax power and about 150 kt cruise.

150 knots is 30 knots higher than the *maximum* allowed level flight
speed for Light Sport. Better run your cruise expectations down 50
knots or so....

Ron Wanttaja

Light Sport Aircraft are limited to 120 knots at "maximum continous
power" at "sea level".

While 150knots is a bit high for 5k-8k agl, of a plane that meets this
specI can see it going to 130-140.

ET
Old October 11th 04, 09:52 PM
Brian Huffaker

Dale wrote:
Got to thinking today about building another project and was wondering about
maybe Vans coming out with an RV-? that would fit the Light Sport Aircraft
catagory. With Rotax power and about 150 kt cruise. I'm not interested in
any Lycoming or certified power, nor any automotive power.
Could he do it? Would he do it?
I don't think I would hesitate for a kit like this. I know there are lots of
others out there but I would bet the bank on an
RV-? project.

Others have mentioned that the 150kt would meet LSA requirements, but
maybe the RV-11 would?

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-11int.htm

He hasn't published any weights yet (still designing/building it after
all) and it is just a single seat, but I doubt it is designed to go all
that fast, or be very heavy. Also is Jabiru powered so it meets that
part of your request as well. Don't know if he will actually kit it
tho.

Brian Huffaker, DSWL )
RV-8A installing seat nutplates
Starduster Too N23UT flying.

Old October 12th 04, 12:20 AM
Kyle Boatright

"ET" wrote in message
Ron Wanttaja wrote in
:

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:38:33 -0500, "Dale" wrote:

Got to thinking today about building another project and was wondering
about maybe Vans coming out with an RV-? that would fit the Light
Sport Aircraft catagory. With Rotax power and about 150 kt cruise.

150 knots is 30 knots higher than the *maximum* allowed level flight
speed for Light Sport. Better run your cruise expectations down 50
knots or so....

Ron Wanttaja

Light Sport Aircraft are limited to 120 knots at "maximum continous
power" at "sea level".

While 150knots is a bit high for 5k-8k agl, of a plane that meets this
specI can see it going to 130-140.

ET

Most normally aspirated aircraft hit their maximum speed at sea level, with
best cruise (75% power) at roughly 8,000'.

KB

Old October 12th 04, 12:28 AM
Keith Olivier

Hi Dale

I actually spoke to Van personally about this subject at Airventure. He
felt it would be a completely new airplane and thought the interest in
something like that would be questionable. He also felt it wasn't going to
cost significantly less than a current RV (airframe), particularly when many
homebuilders buy a run out Lycoming and then rebuild it themselves for the
"big RV's". Engine choices once you go below 100hp are somewhat limited
and the Rotaxes are pretty expensive for what you get.

Bottom line, he wasn't enthusiastic about the sport pilot type aircraft, he
felt there was still far too much left unsaid in terms of the certification
and he would wait for it to mature some before considering anything.

Regards
Keith