ballpark cost to install a towhook on a C182?

Old January 18th 20, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McBee

Default ballpark cost to install a towhook on a C182?

A friend owns a Cessna 182. I am contemplating offering to cover the cost of him installing a towhook so I can fly out of my local airport instead of driving 6 hours round trip every time I want to fly. This would make it possible for me to fly much more often.

About how much could I expect this to cost?

I would also probably need to cover his tow pilot training.

Matt

Old January 18th 20, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

If you are willing to go with a Schweizer hook, it will cost you the price of the hook and cord to operate it (recommend routing a cable inside the tailcone to a handle, possibly in the panel). It is in the Illustrated Parts Catalog for the airplane, and the owner can make the installation. No A&P required. No Form 337. No Field Approval. No STC.

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS
Old January 18th 20, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What does your friend's insurance company say?

I know someone who wanted to install a hook on his C-180 so his wife
could tow him.Â* His insurance company said, "No way".Â* I don't know what
company that was.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 18th 20, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Commercial towing insurance is an issue, and one that the SSA needs to address imo. There are a ton of potential towplanes sitting unused because of this.

But to simply install the hook and be able to tow, buy a hook from k&l, attach it, find an experienced towpilot to give a days of instruction, and enjoy flying!
Old January 18th 20, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"it is in the Illustrated Parts Catalog for the airplane, and the owner can make the installation. No A&P required."

That cant be right.
I dont see installing a tow hook listed in the things that a pilot or owner can do.
Just because it's on the IPC does not mean it can be owner installed.
Old January 18th 20, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I tend to agree with jjdk.Â* The propeller is listed in the IPC for my
180 and I don't think the feds want me messing with that, either.

Old January 18th 20, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 13:45:01 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

I tend to agree with jjdk.Â* The propeller is listed in the IPC for my
180 and I don't think the feds want me messing with that, either.

Dan, I sniff a hint of irony in the air. Its not like you to miss that:
are you sure you ain't coming down with the Dreaded Lurgy?

On 1/18/2020 12:41 PM, wrote:
"it is in the Illustrated Parts Catalog for the airplane, and the owner
can make the installation. No A&P required."

That cant be right.
I dont see installing a tow hook listed in the things that a pilot or
owner can do.
Just because it's on the IPC does not mean it can be owner installed.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old January 19th 20, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

I am thinking it might need an A&P sign off as a minor alteration but who in the hell wants to tow with a Schweizer hook?
Old January 19th 20, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Check advisory circular 43.13. It shows Tost and Schweizer. Mentions STC or field approval.

Cessna has it's own Cessna part number for the Schweizer hook. So possible no STC req'd. Cessna also offers the installation drawings for Cessna part number hook to 182.

So I think the log book entry goes something like...Cessna part ##### installed IAC with Cessna drawing #####, and AC43.13.

The drawing limits the "pull" to 1200 lbs. So you need either a pretty thin rope or weak links. Perhaps it limits the towing of a really heavy two seater?

Cookie

Old January 19th 20, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My guess to the original question, parts not included.

There are alot of variables here.
Are we using a shop, are we getting an independent A&P or are we doing the work under A&P supervision with his signature.
So anywhere from $1000 to $100?