Interesting info relating to recent discussions here from an FAASeminar I attended last night

Old April 12th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Interesting info relating to recent discussions here from an FAASeminar I attended last night

Right from the local FSDO's mouth:

#1.) Pretty much anyone can taxi an airplane. The airlines send
non-pilots to the simulator to learn, but that's apparently a company
decision. Part of this program discussed an accident where two NWA
mechanics hit a parked 757 and a Jetway while destroying an Airbus in a
taxi accident.

If you own an airplane (or have the owner's permission), you are
apparently free to taxi to your heart's content. Now, the INSURANCE
company may disagree, but the FAA dosen't seem to care.

#2) Homemade stuff: The little home made LED battery indicator is NOT
legal to be permanently installed and wired into a non-experimental
aircraft. Doing so will void the a/w certificate, unless a 337 and STC
are obtained. The device would be perfectly legal if velcroed to the
panel and plugged into the cigarette lighter, like a portable GPS or CO
monitor might be. Even a sun visor, pedal extension, etc... could
potentially violate the a/w certificate.

He also mentioned that such a device might possibly give your insurance
company a free pass to the exit if such devices were found during a post
incident or accident inspection.

I'm the messenger, don't shoot _me_.

Barry
Old April 13th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ahhh yes Barry, but you are the guy with the cane and top hat doing a
softshoe routine in the spotlight... WHere else would we shoot?

Anyway, Clinton understood - Don't ask, don't tell... And don't bolt
things down so you can scoop em up after the accident before the FSDO
gets there to take pictures...

denny