Trailer access calculation?

Old March 25th 20, 10:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John McLaughlin

Default Trailer access calculation?

I want to bring my trailer home to do some maintenance while we're all
grounded, but I'm not sure if I can access my house from the road. I
have a 90deg bend to get around and then the second issue is a short,
steep slope, which may ground the back of the trailer.

So my question is, if I measure things up, how can I calculate whether
access is theoretically possible? Is there any advice on the internet - I
can't find anything?

I don't want to just try the trailer for size because I fear getting it
stuck.

Old March 25th 20, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 09:40:18 +0000, John McLaughlin wrote:

I want to bring my trailer home to do some maintenance while we're all
grounded, but I'm not sure if I can access my house from the road. I
have a 90deg bend to get around and then the second issue is a short,
steep slope, which may ground the back of the trailer.

So my question is, if I measure things up, how can I calculate whether
access is theoretically possible? Is there any advice on the internet -
I can't find anything?

I don't want to just try the trailer for size because I fear getting it
stuck.

You could always model it:

1) use a 25m tape measure +_ compass to draw an accurate map of the track
on a decent sized sheep of paper, say A3 and use a sensible scale, say
1:25 or 1:50 Draw in the track to its correct width and don't forget
obstacles, (hedges, poles, gateways, buildings etc.

Seeing that there's a steep slope involved, use some scrap foam plastic
to make a scale 3D surface and glue the map to it I'd use a hiking GPS or
Google Earth to measure the height difference unless you already know
that.

OR (in order of decreasing accuracy)

Walk the track centre line with a GPS

OR

Take measurements off Google Earth

2) measure length + width of trailer + towbar and towing vehicle. Make
cardboard cutouts of the plan view of trailer and car. Add a scale towbar
to the trailer (lollypop stick would be fine) and add something to the
trailer where the wheels should be. Rubber toy wheels would be best, but
small blocks of wood or foam should also work. Connect car and trailer
with a drawing pin or similar, placed where the tow ball is in the car.

3) now you can move car+trailer models along the track and see how close
the trailer comes to hitting anything.

At least, thats how I'd do it and, even if it takes time to do properly,
its something else to do while in COVID lockdown. Making the measurements
can reasonably be described as 'your daily walk'.

HTH

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old March 25th 20, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John McLaughlin

Thanks Martin. I think that after maybe another week or two of
lockdown, I'm going to be bored enough to make something around
my aluminium ladders using a couple of spare wheelbarrow wheels
and some scraps of timber. If I can get the ground clearance right,
as well as the total length, width, and wheel position, that should do
it. And it'll keep the neighbours amused.

Old March 25th 20, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 12:35:00 +0000, John McLaughlin wrote:

Thanks Martin. I think that after maybe another week or two of lockdown,
I'm going to be bored enough to make something around my aluminium
ladders using a couple of spare wheelbarrow wheels and some scraps of
timber. If I can get the ground clearance right, as well as the total
length, width, and wheel position, that should do it. And it'll keep the
neighbours amused.

In that case I'll look forward to reading your account of the project!

Best of luck with it.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old March 27th 20, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Wednesday, March 25, 2020 at 5:45:05 AM UTC-7, John McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

take videos for us! We are bored.
Old March 25th 20, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rolling sideways is good sometimes...

https://www.harborfreight.com/materi...lly-64601.html
Old March 25th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John McLaughlin wrote on 3/25/2020 2:40 AM:
I want to bring my trailer home to do some maintenance while we're all
grounded, but I'm not sure if I can access my house from the road. I
have a 90deg bend to get around and then the second issue is a short,
steep slope, which may ground the back of the trailer.

So my question is, if I measure things up, how can I calculate whether
access is theoretically possible? Is there any advice on the internet - I
can't find anything?

I don't want to just try the trailer for size because I fear getting it
stuck.

First, take the glider out of the trailer.

Get someone with a 4WD/AWD short wheel base towing vehicle to tow it down there.
Lower the tow vehicle hitch so the trailer rear end is up in the air an extra 6"+.

Put it on a flat bed truck and carry it down there. The flat bed has to just long
enough for the trailer wheels to be on it - the tail can stick out back.

Old March 25th 20, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Eric Greenwell wrote on 3/25/2020 9:43 AM:
[...]

Here's another: get golf cart (or ATV) to tow it around the bend and down the
hill. Great maneuverability and you can set the hitch really low on the cart

Old March 26th 20, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

I would print off a satellite (Google) image of the drive in question. Then cut two scraps of correctly sized pieces of paper representing the car and trailer. Use those to play "drive the trailer home".

About hitting the tail of the trailer, we all do that. That's why glider trailers have skids in that back. To minimize this get an extra long/low tow ball adapter. This will raise the tail.
Old March 25th 20, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have a similar steep angle from the road to my driveway, but no sharp
turn in the driveway as you describe.Â* I've dragged the tail of my
trailer slowly (skids on the aft end of the trailer), slowly, with no
damage other than noise.Â* I also have an opening in the trees that's
large enough to back the trailer into.Â* Maybe you have something
similar.Â* I wouldn't want to squat down over a cactus to work, however...

Or you could work on your trailer at the airport.

Or, have the wife or one of the kids hold one end of a rope of which
length is equal to the length from the axle of the trailer to the back
end.Â* Maybe add a foot or two for good measure.Â* Have the holder stand
where the wheel on the inside of the turn would be and then walk the arc
of the end of the rope and see if you have clearance.Â* That should give
you an idea of whether it will work.

Good luck!

On 3/25/2020 3:40 AM, John McLaughlin wrote:
I want to bring my trailer home to do some maintenance while we're all
grounded, but I'm not sure if I can access my house from the road. I
have a 90deg bend to get around and then the second issue is a short,
steep slope, which may ground the back of the trailer.

So my question is, if I measure things up, how can I calculate whether
access is theoretically possible? Is there any advice on the internet - I
can't find anything?

I don't want to just try the trailer for size because I fear getting it
stuck.

--
Dan, 5J