Instrument panel labeling

Old January 11th 20, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Instrument panel labeling

There is a great study by Nasa of label and checklist font readability. It recommends a good font which I used. Google finds it easily.

Problem with engraved or "plasticied" labels is that there are a lot of fuses and switches in panel that requires very small labels. These can be done only with printable sheets. This way you get exactly same look and feel of factory new glider.
Old January 11th 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 12:55:03 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
There is a great study by Nasa of label and checklist font readability. It recommends a good font which I used. Google finds it easily.

Problem with engraved or "plasticied" labels is that there are a lot of fuses and switches in panel that requires very small labels. These can be done only with printable sheets. This way you get exactly same look and feel of factory new glider.

I believe it is https://ti.arc.nasa.gov/m/profile/ad...umentation.pdf - "ON THE TYPOGRAPHY OF
FLIGHT-DECK DOCUMENTATION"

Interesting read, thanks for pointing it out.
Old January 12th 20, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

These are all great ideas, but if you want the most professional, readable, permanent, and flexible solution, use laser engraving of special plastic laminate sold by Johnson Plastics and others. The laser can cut a profile for the label(s), cut holes for connectors to mount through, and label the connectors. The material has a self adhesive backing so you can peal and stick to the panel.

I use LaserMax Rowmark White/Black 2 ply 1/16" thick with excellent results.. You can see a picture of my panel he https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6355wzj96...label.jpg?dl=0 A single placard takes care of all the items on the right side of the panel. I plan to do the required placards as well using this method.

Ideally a single label will handle multiple fuses/breakers, USB connectors, audio jacks, etc., and the profile will match your panel. You need to generate the artwork in something like Adobe Illustrator, or the like, and there are many services that will cut/engrave for you. For example, Rex at WSC did it for me. As suggested, choose a readable font like Helvetica bold for clarity. You can print to paper to check alignment, etc.

Have fun, and be prepared to be impressed.

Matt Herron
Old January 13th 20, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 11:35:01 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 8:26:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on how to make professional looking placards/labels for a instrument panel rebuild I'm doing. I need to make tiny labels for fuses, and switches and I hate, hate, hate the look of the continuous strip label maker "sticker" stuck to the panel. It looks tacky, but they never seem to stay stuck. Know what I mean?
I think a stencil might be too small, has any one ever used a pressure transfer and clear top coat? What else have you tried?

Signed,
Working till spring

I have used Aircraft Engravers many times (https://www.engravers.net/). Not too expensive, quick, and well made.

Here are some examples for a Cessna 150 with an nearly unreadable panel I upgraded (PDF of what I sent them, what they sent me as a proof, and what they produced).
http://derosaweb.net/aviation/images/placards

I second Aircraft Engravers. Did a great job on the labels for my Libelle. Been on my panel almost 5 years and not one problem with any of them coming off. Email me off list if you want to see my order page.

Doug
Old January 14th 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Eh....to each his own...not my cup of tea...I think directly lettered looks way more professional. In production of panels (for all kinds of stuff, like test equipment etc)...they use silk screen...printed directly onto the surface

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/instpanels.html

Here are a couple examples of silk screened lettering...most professional IMHO. These guys also do laser etch, right into the panel..I don't care fo rhte etch look...but he silk screen is 100% top notch!

Cookie

Old January 18th 20, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:26:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on how to make professional looking placards/labels for a instrument panel rebuild I'm doing. I need to make tiny labels for fuses, and switches and I hate, hate, hate the look of the continuous strip label maker "sticker" stuck to the panel. It looks tacky, but they never seem to stay stuck. Know what I mean?
I think a stencil might be too small, has any one ever used a pressure transfer and clear top coat? What else have you tried?

Signed,
Working till spring

I'm lucky enough to have my own engraver.

It was green, now grey, this year!

https://imgur.com/9nkz9yH
Old January 18th 20, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nice work! I've never seen bank angle reference marks like that on the panel before.

DT
Old January 18th 20, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 11:41:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Nice work! I've never seen bank angle reference marks like that on the panel before.

DT

Thanks for the nice comment...

I tend to overbank. A 60-degree bank angle feels like 45 degrees to me, so this keeps me in check...

Notice no screws on the instruments. More engraving (cutting) behind the scenes.

Gary

Old January 18th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, January 13, 2020 at 4:25:19 PM UTC-8, Cookie wrote:
[...]

On a smooth surface silkscreening can look OK. On a textured surface typical of many gliders, it does not look good, if it is readable at all. So, "it depends"....

ASW 19 instrument panel Charles Longley Soaring 14 November 1st 17 08:47 AM
P-39 Instrument-Panel - P-39 Instrument-Panel.jpg ... Miloch Aviation Photos 0 June 26th 16 01:47 AM
PIK-20D Instrument panel Solo Soaring 5 February 15th 09 07:50 PM
Instrument Panel ccwillwerth Home Built 7 February 9th 06 03:15 PM
DG-300 instrument panel [email protected] Soaring 14 January 29th 06 03:48 PM