A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Soaring already DOA for the season???

Old March 23rd 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

Airsailing in NV has closed down, and now Willliams in CA is closed. will contests be cancelled next? Does SSA have a position on this? Are there things we can do to mitigate exposure so we can fly? Inquiring pilots want to know...
Old March 23rd 20, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

There may be a lull in infections in the May-June time frame and perhaps an easing of controls until the second wave hits September-October.

Some research is showing that temperature 17C and/or absolute humidity 9g / m³ inhibits transmission.

We'll know more as the Summer proceeds.

There's a bunch of Canadian snowbirds rushing back from California through Florida a month or two prematurely when they may have been smarter to stay put.

This Fall may be a good time for us older folk to decamp to warmer and sultry climes provided you can find a flight, health insurance coverage and accommodating border officials.
Old March 23rd 20, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z
external usenet poster

Another thing to keep in mind is that all medical personnel will be busy dealing with sick people, so any accidents we may have while having fun will be adding unnecessary stress on the system. So unnecessary driving and any other potentially dangerous activities should be kept to a minimum.

Lots of collateral effects with this pandemic.

5Z
Old March 23rd 20, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek
external usenet poster

I'd think 200' of tow rope would be enough social distancing.

Old March 23rd 20, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 10:16:22 AM UTC-4, Glidergeek wrote:

We have lengthened our tow ropes to 206'

Weirsdale Glider Club
Old March 23rd 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 5:42:56 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Airsailing in NV has closed down, and now Willliams in CA is closed. will contests be cancelled next? Does SSA have a position on this? Are there things we can do to mitigate exposure so we can fly? Inquiring pilots want to know...

As a group, we are for the most part, experts at coming up with procedures and checklists that improve safety. Perhaps we can put methods in place for assembly, launch, retrieval, etc. that reduce the chances of spreading the virus, even after restrictions may be lifted.

For example, hold the wing a little farther from the tip when handing it off to an assistant during assembly. Don't approach someone's cockpit (occupied, or not) without verbal OK. keep the cockpit window shut as you are hooked up for launch. gloves for ground crews? Pay your tow bill by mail rather than in the office.

I am sure this talented group can come up with lots of practical ideas to protect ourselves. As a group we tend to skew older and male, both higher risk groups for Covid-19 infection. Perhaps we can still enjoy what we do without adding any more risk to the sport.

Matt
Old March 23rd 20, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

ABQ Soaring and Sundance Aviation at Moriarty were both conducting
training flights yesterday.Â* I'm sure their folks were taking adequate
precautions.Â* Power flying activities were also going on and, as soon as
I see a relatively decent soaring forecast (given the season), I'll take
the Stemme up.Â* Of course, I don't need to interact with anyone to get
airborne or put away.Â* Luckily...

On 3/22/2020 6:42 PM, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 23rd 20, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Metcalfe
external usenet poster

We have lengthened our tow ropes to 206'
Weirsdale Glider Club

Aw c'mon! The ship spoiled for a ha'p'orth of tar: a further 6.74 ins
required to get the 2 metres!

Old March 23rd 20, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

As a group, we are for the most part, experts at coming up with procedures and checklists that improve safety. Perhaps we can put methods in place for assembly, launch, retrieval, etc. that reduce the chances of spreading the virus, even after restrictions may be lifted.

For example, hold the wing a little farther from the tip when handing it off to an assistant during assembly. Don't approach someone's cockpit (occupied, or not) without verbal OK. keep the cockpit window shut as you are hooked up for launch. gloves for ground crews? Pay your tow bill by mail rather than in the office.

I am sure this talented group can come up with lots of practical ideas to protect ourselves. As a group we tend to skew older and male, both higher risk groups for Covid-19 infection. Perhaps we can still enjoy what we do without adding any more risk to the sport.

Matt

If the glider is being used by multiple pilots/passengers, i.e. a club trainer, the controls, belt-buckles, canopy lock, microphone, etc. could/should be wiped down with a disinfecting wipe. Takes a minute to do and will add a layer of protection.

Uli
'AS'
Old March 23rd 20, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Matt Herron Jr. wrote on 3/23/2020 9:34 AM:
On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 5:42:56 PM UTC-7, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

"Honey, the nation calls us to action in these perilous times. It is our duty to
get a motorglider to achieve the social distancing that is required from all of us."

Later...

"Honey, just an FYI: I got us a motorhome so we can shelter-in-place at the
gliderport, where I will keep our new motorglider."

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1