Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Old March 25th 20, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

Default Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Jean-Claude Killy, a French Olympic triple Gold Medalist in skiing (1968) said that if you never take a fall, you never learn. Gotta push sometimes.
Old March 26th 20, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

It's not the first landout of the day that is embarassing - it's the second one - especially during a contest!

One of my first contest flights, in a G-102 out of Estrella. Task was basically Estrella to Ryan and back. Pedalling hard to stay with the pack, got low on the way out and dropped into El Tiro, which was conveniently on the way to the turnpoint and even better, could give me a tow to get home. Off tow, spotted the pack heading home and pedalled off after them. Halfway back, here comes a solid status deck from the West. Near Casa Grande, we got to the shadow, and all but a couple of leaders (who had a final glide to Estrella) landed out within minutes of each other. I ended up in a wheat field (in preference to an active shooting range - seriously!), which led to a long, late "carry the glider out of the field at midnight" retrieve by my then future wife...good sign that! No damage done, but we picked wheat out of that glider for a long time after - and it took awhile to pass the club's "Lead C" award to someone else.

I still enjoy a nice landout - but now I really try hard to keep them to airfields...which is easy where I fly now in Illinois.

Of course, that does set you up for some interesting aero retrieves, say at night flying on tow by the light of your iPhone...but that's a different story...

66
Old March 27th 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

I was hoping you would post that Kirk, I dont think any of us, back in the day at Turf, would have been ashamed of our landouts. In fact they are the best of times! Still, I perfer the cold brew and company back at home airfield not to mention the convenience of not having to reassemble for the next days flying 😛
Old March 28th 20, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

So there were two nuts that evening?

What tow pilot was nuts enough to tow you up into a flight that would knowingly be so late that you had to fly by the light of your phone?

Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I have a small collection of landouts within 3 km of the field. On my XC class the first dictum was:

"Better a good approach to a poor field than a poor approach to a good field"

Perhaps in some of those cases, I could have squeaked it into the home field by throwing out my margins, or perhaps adding to the stall/spin on final or collision with obstacle tally.

One now gone instructor took umbrage to my landing out in an L-33 which has a considerable record of land short accidents.

On a contest day at another club I landed out in the opposite corner of the 1 mile quadrant where the host club was located. The subsequent panic on the radio was something to behold. And the towplane came over for a look. I finally managed to get in on the frequency that I would phone in my location after filling out the landout card.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Land Out Kit MNLou Soaring 5 September 11th 13 03:07 AM
SPOT should be ashamed Pat Russell Soaring 12 May 2nd 08 06:49 AM
Who can land in 'fog' [email protected] Piloting 28 November 30th 05 11:12 PM
Bush is ashamed of what was written in his military records WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 August 12th 04 11:49 PM
It's ashamed that vOX POOPuli... B2431 Military Aviation 0 February 13th 04 07:10 PM