OUDIE 1 OR OUDIE 2?

Old February 28th 19, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James Hamilton[_2_]

Default OUDIE 1 OR OUDIE 2?

I have a Naviter Oudie that came with a used glider I bought 2 years
ago. I've had nothing but trouble with the unit even though I keep the
firmware (software?) updated with the Oudie Updater (now version
9.02.001). Recently it occurred to me that the unit I have may not be
an Oudie 2. I asked Paul at Cumulus Soaring (gave him the serial
number) but he says he cannot tell. I asked Naviter and after several
days got a reply from Mr Jost Napret saying I needed to send him a
photo of the "About" page of my Oudie, which I did. That was a week
ago and even though I followed up a couple of days later, the only reply
I have had from Naviter is: "We have received your email and are
happy to help. We will reply soon." I have the original box my Oudie
came in and one thing that seems odd to me, on the box it shows the
battery capacity as 1800 mAh where the Naviter website shows the
current Oudie 2 to have a 1400 mAh battery. Does anyone know how
to tell an Oudie 1 from an Oudie 2?

James Hamilton

Old February 28th 19, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I suppose you could turn both screens up to max brightness. The brighter one would be the Oudie2.
Old February 28th 19, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 2/28/19 12:47 PM, James Hamilton wrote:
[...]

The main difference is the Oudie 2 has a brighter screen. Perhaps the
only difference, not sure. There have been problems with the cases
becoming tacky as they age.

If you do have an Oudie 1, I don't think it's worth upgrading to a 2 at
this point. Look at TopHat or XCSoar running on an Android phone or
tablet. Create a mounting scheme that gives it a good view of the sky,
and add provision for external power as needed.

-Dave

Old March 1st 19, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Even older Oudie2s are worth changing to new unit, the hardware is faster, you get new battery and non-sticky case. If you return the old unit to dealer, you can transfer the SYm licence to new unit, and pay only for the hardware (Oudie Lite price).
Old August 10th 19, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim St. Clair

I’m in the same situation - bought a used glider that came with an Oudie. I determined it is a 2 by first seeing how hard it is to see the screen in sunlight. Then I compared the back of the unit to a photo on the Naviteer web site of the back of the unit. There are a few distinct differences.
Old August 12th 19, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron (Sr)

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 12:00:05 PM UTC-8, James Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Identification is dead simple. When you turn the unit on, if it's an Oudie 2 the intro screen says "Oudie 2" in big letters at the top. I've owned both units and the Oudie 2 is faster and MUCH brighter. Worth the upgrade.
Matt

OUDIE [email protected] Soaring 31 November 5th 16 03:19 PM
Oudie IGC Dave Springford Soaring 4 November 12th 13 08:52 PM
Oudie fredblair Soaring 0 June 13th 12 06:56 PM
Oudie Steve Hunt Soaring 2 July 8th 11 12:19 AM
oudie Steve Hunt[_2_] Soaring 0 July 7th 11 08:58 AM