Glider rental California/Nevada

Old February 6th 20, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Gijrath

Default Glider rental California/Nevada

Hi, just joined this group because I am looking for glider rental options in California-Nevada for when I am visiting the US from Europe. I am seeking for a performance glider 1 and 2 seaters 18/20 meter (~59/65 feet) wings span, preferably self-launch or sustainer engine equipped such as DuoDiscus, Ventus2 or different makes. Are there any clubs/private owners who rent out such category gliders? I fly a private Ventus 2ct in Europe, have 1500 hours of which more than half mountain flying experience and recently acquired my FAA equivalent SPL license.

Thanks!
Old February 6th 20, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 1:22:09 PM UTC-8, Hans Gijrath wrote:
Hi, just joined this group because I am looking for glider rental options in California-Nevada for when I am visiting the US from Europe. I am seeking for a performance glider 1 and 2 seaters 18/20 meter (~59/65 feet) wings span, preferably self-launch or sustainer engine equipped such as DuoDiscus, Ventus2 or different makes. Are there any clubs/private owners who rent out such category gliders? I fly a private Ventus 2ct in Europe, have 1500 hours of which more than half mountain flying experience and recently acquired my FAA equivalent SPL license.

Thanks!

You'd run into some difficulties due to your licensing situation, FAA SPL wouldn't necessarily be sufficient to rent and fly a high-performance glider on your own. Probably the easiest way is to sort out the paperwork (License conversion? I'm assuming you have at least PPL in your own country), join a club, then get checked out in the glider you'd want to fly.
Licensie compatibility makes ad-hoc rental much easier among EU countries, but U.S. has its own administration and rules, which are not 100% EU compatible.
Old February 6th 20, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Gijrath

I do have the FAA conversion of my EU license. So, I only need a check ride.
Old February 7th 20, 04:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 2:22:09 PM UTC-7, Hans Gijrath wrote:
Hi, just joined this group because I am looking for glider rental options in California-Nevada for when I am visiting the US from Europe. I am seeking for a performance glider 1 and 2 seaters 18/20 meter (~59/65 feet) wings span, preferably self-launch or sustainer engine equipped such as DuoDiscus, Ventus2 or different makes. Are there any clubs/private owners who rent out such category gliders? I fly a private Ventus 2ct in Europe, have 1500 hours of which more than half mountain flying experience and recently acquired my FAA equivalent SPL license.

Thanks!

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm not aware of any clubs in the USA that have high-performance gliders they rent out to club members. Soaring just isn't that popular over here that clubs are so flush with money/members to be able to spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on a high-performance club glider. The best you will probably find is a ASK21. You MAY find a private owner willing to rent or lend you their own private glider, but otherwise I think the pickings are going to be very slim.
Old February 7th 20, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter

You might try https://soaringnv.com in Minden, NV. Contact them directly.

Larry
Old February 7th 20, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 1:22:09 PM UTC-8, Hans Gijrath wrote:
Hi, just joined this group because I am looking for glider rental options in California-Nevada for when I am visiting the US from Europe. I am seeking for a performance glider 1 and 2 seaters 18/20 meter (~59/65 feet) wings span, preferably self-launch or sustainer engine equipped such as DuoDiscus, Ventus2 or different makes. Are there any clubs/private owners who rent out such category gliders? I fly a private Ventus 2ct in Europe, have 1500 hours of which more than half mountain flying experience and recently acquired my FAA equivalent SPL license.

Thanks!

I suspect your expectations might be unrealistic. The USA does not have a lot of clubs or commercial operations with high performance gliders that you will be able to rent and let you take off cross country as PIC. I suspect the folks most likely to help work with you are commercial operators more than clubs. The best situation would likely be a private owner, somebody you already knew and even then you might be better off fishing around for dual time with the owner not looking for rental/PIC. If you are PIC you do you will likely need to arrange hull and liability insurance with a USA insurance provider and it will likely be expensive.

I expect it is more likely that you would find a club or commercial operation with a two-seat XC glider and that you could fly with an instructor for a while (more than just a checkout). Williams Soaring has an ASG-32Mi for example in Northern California. Bay Area Soaring Associates has a DG-1000S in the Bay Area (you would have to bum a ride with members), Soaring NV used to operate Duo Discus out of Minden, NV With change of ownership, I am not sure if the Duos are still there. You will need to reach out to those folks.

Old February 7th 20, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 9:45:50 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Soaring nVin Nevada has a well equipped duo discus they will rent out for cross country once you are checked out. I have done this several times. some of the best soaring on the west coast.
Old February 7th 20, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 1:22:09 PM UTC-8, Hans Gijrath wrote:
Hi, just joined this group because I am looking for glider rental options in California-Nevada for when I am visiting the US from Europe. I am seeking for a performance glider 1 and 2 seaters 18/20 meter (~59/65 feet) wings span, preferably self-launch or sustainer engine equipped such as DuoDiscus, Ventus2 or different makes. Are there any clubs/private owners who rent out such category gliders? I fly a private Ventus 2ct in Europe, have 1500 hours of which more than half mountain flying experience and recently acquired my FAA equivalent SPL license.

Thanks!

Crystal- Southern California Soaring Academy near Los Angeles has an ASG32 they rent. I'm not sure of their check out requirements so if interested you should contact them direct.
Year around soaring, many, many diamond flights from Crystal....
Old February 8th 20, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Gijrath

Great, I hadn't found this one yet, looks promising.
Old February 8th 20, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Gijrath

Thanks Matt, this looks promising. I will contact them for further info.

Glider rental for the WGC....where to find? wladkummer76 Soaring 8 January 2nd 12 05:15 PM
Minden, Nevada Flight Instructor & Glider Pilot Clinic Tom[_12_] Soaring 0 October 13th 11 04:51 PM
Glider Rental Insurance: BTiz Soaring 0 August 18th 10 04:53 AM
Travel Nevada Glider Ride [email protected] Soaring 2 December 11th 08 03:46 AM
Transport wanted, DC to California/Nevada JS Soaring 0 April 22nd 06 05:36 PM