Soaring already DOA for the season???

Old March 23rd 20, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

This is from a friend who is a physician, passed on with permission.Â* I
chose to keep his identity private.

Of course you can share!
It's all info from reputable sources: WHO, Reuters, CDC.

On Monday, March 23, 2020, 10:30:01 AM MDT, Dan Marotta
wrote:

Excellent analysis, thanks!

And, as we just discussed on the phone, I am doing all of the
recommended things, not out of fear but out of a sense of personal
preservation.Â* I understand that there are people who, out of a sense of
bravado will do stupid, even destructive things.

May I share what you've written to me?Â* I'll keep your identity private.

Dan

On 3/23/2020 9:54 AM, *** wrote:
We have a vaccine for the flu. The mortality for the flu is 0.1%
We don't have a vaccine for this. It's mortality is 2-4%.
The Chinese shut down a city of 11 million people...
The Italians are rationing care....
You need scary data? Check out Reuters Global covid tracker. Check out
the curves on the number of cases per country. check out the overall
mortality.
People have good reason to be scared and the fear is good. Fear makes
people isolate themselves and decrease the speed of spread.
The opposite, people that carry on like nothing is happening, will
overwhelm your healthcare system. If that happens, we won't have enough
ventilators, enough personal protection equipment, or enough providers.
People will then start dying of routine conditions (in addition to the
coronavirus) that they easily survived before (with appropriate care).
For example if all our ICU's are packed with people on ventilators
because of coronavirus and you have a heart attack there is no ICU for
you....If there are no hospital beds available because of the virus,
someone with a bowel obstruction (treated with IVF's in 98% of cases)
will perish because of lack of services. If your surgeon is sick and you
have appendicitis, you'll die from another routine condition...
In all honesty, I think we lost control of the situation a few weeks ago
(ie new york), I would expect complete chaos in the next 3 months. This
will include curfews, strict enforcement of quarantines, and overall
disregard for our civil rights.At this late stage, even this is not
going to prevent the massive loss of life. Unless the virus changes or
there are some seasonal effects expect 1-2 million american deaths in
the next 12 months.
Hope I'm wrong...

On 3/22/2020 9:35 PM, 5Z wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind is that all medical personnel will be busy dealing with sick people, so any accidents we may have while having fun will be adding unnecessary stress on the system. So unnecessary driving and any other potentially dangerous activities should be kept to a minimum.

Lots of collateral effects with this pandemic.

5Z

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 23rd 20, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 6:42:56 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Airsailing in NV has closed down, and now Willliams in CA is closed. will contests be cancelled next? Does SSA have a position on this? Are there things we can do to mitigate exposure so we can fly? Inquiring pilots want to know...

Flight schools pose a problem because of social distancing. Current pilots with their own gliders can enjoy the best social distancing on the planet. No viruses in the air at 18,000 feet inside our private bubbles. 200 ft tow rope. Just need to avoid the chit-chat at the field before flying. Everyone stays with their own glider. And don't kiss your tow pilot before your flight....
Old March 23rd 20, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 23 March 2020 18:51:19 UTC+2, AS wrote:
As a group, we are for the most part, experts at coming up with procedures and checklists that improve safety. Perhaps we can put methods in place for assembly, launch, retrieval, etc. that reduce the chances of spreading the virus, even after restrictions may be lifted.

For example, hold the wing a little farther from the tip when handing it off to an assistant during assembly. Don't approach someone's cockpit (occupied, or not) without verbal OK. keep the cockpit window shut as you are hooked up for launch. gloves for ground crews? Pay your tow bill by mail rather than in the office.

I am sure this talented group can come up with lots of practical ideas to protect ourselves. As a group we tend to skew older and male, both higher risk groups for Covid-19 infection. Perhaps we can still enjoy what we do without adding any more risk to the sport.

Matt

If the glider is being used by multiple pilots/passengers, i.e. a club trainer, the controls, belt-buckles, canopy lock, microphone, etc. could/should be wiped down with a disinfecting wipe. Takes a minute to do and will add a layer of protection.

Uli
'AS'

Any two people flying tandem two-seater will share every single virus in there systems instantly. You just need to breathe and normal glider ventilation distributes every droplet you exhale instantly.
Old March 23rd 20, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 2:44:39 PM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
[...]

Of course! I used the wrong verbiage - should have been more specific and said 'Club Ship' as in single seat; not two- or three-seater.

Uli
'AS'
Old March 23rd 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 11:29:02 AM UTC-7, Richard DalCanto wrote:
On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 6:42:56 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Airsailing in NV has closed down, and now Willliams in CA is closed. will contests be cancelled next? Does SSA have a position on this? Are there things we can do to mitigate exposure so we can fly? Inquiring pilots want to know...

Flight schools pose a problem because of social distancing. Current pilots with their own gliders can enjoy the best social distancing on the planet. No viruses in the air at 18,000 feet inside our private bubbles. 200 ft tow rope. Just need to avoid the chit-chat at the field before flying. Everyone stays with their own glider. And don't kiss your tow pilot before your flight....

Agreed, but the facility has to be open for you to request a tow...
Old March 24th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Seminole-Lake was very lucky to get the Senior Soaring Championship complete last week. Even with extraordinary precautions, it was a very close call.. If it was this week, we would have cancelled. Right now Seminole is only towing private ships, no instruction or rides. I might hold a XC camp for clubs in Florida limited to 5 pilots. Bring your single seater, and I’ll have 1 slot in a DG-1000T. Ground school in a wide open environment will be done. It will only last during a weekend, maybe Friday thru Sunday. The weather has been great, and anyone wanting to do badge flying, come on down. However, we do have restrictions on social distancing and contact with employees. If your interested, contact me at .
Old March 27th 20, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Assuming medical resources are in short supply, who goes to the front of the Triage line? The mother whose kid brought COVID-19 home from preschool, or the glider pilot who has a car accident on his way home from a gliding competition?

Old March 27th 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I’ll take my chances. I got the same odds every time I drive. I’m sure as hell not going to live life due to fear. I don’t have many years left as it is.
Dan
Old March 27th 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Worth a read...

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/26...Ynz_oyZp6z 5U
Old March 27th 20, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 9:38:58 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
Worth a read...

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/26...Ynz_oyZp6z 5U

Tell that to the 26 year old healthy young man who is in coma due to COVID or the 36 year old Principal from NYC, who passed away, no this is not just affecting old people who would die anyway. We only had 137 cases in NH today and 30 of them required hospitalization. That is a high hospitalization %.